Removing ATI driver to install nvidia video.

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by N201CD, Mar 5, 2007.

1. N201CD

N201CD New Member

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (AGP) card which I wish to uninstall so as to install a new nvidia (Leadtec) geforce 7600GT (AGP). I see quite a number of entries in the ATI filters and wonder if I'm correct in choosing the following: ATI, ATI CCC (I have the Catalyst Control Panel), ATI Uninstall Utility (it shows up in my Add/Remove control panel). Any other filter that I should be using? Thank you!

2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

Hi,

yes your right you need to select ATI, ATI CCC and ATI Uninstall Utility that are the 3 you need.

3. pg1923@gvtc.com

pg1923@gvtc.com New Member

I have an MSI 7145 MB with intergrated ATI video (Randon express 200). I purchased a EVGA 7600 gt.

Instructions on EVGA's web site said to disable the ATI dispay adapter in Device Manager. Then I will use drive cleaner to emove all ATI drivers as you stated in the reply. Then I will install the 7600gt pcie card and re-boot into windows and install the latest Nvidia drivers (forceware 94.71). Then everything should work because there can be no conflict with the old ATI intergrated graphics.

MY question is: what happens if the EVGA card is bad and I have disabled the intergrated graphics card? Would the computer boot up and get to Windows? There is apparently no way to turn-off the intergrated graphics in bios, so i have to do it in windows.

Thank you

4. Spike

When you disable it in windows then the computer will boot, because it is only disabled in windows. If you should need to reenable it then the best is to do that in windows safe mode, but i am not 100% sure if that works.

5. pg1923@gvtc.com

pg1923@gvtc.com New Member

I guess I will kfind out if the Nvidia 7600gt doesn't work. I have to believe if it doesn't, then I can get back in windows and re-enable the ati intergrated graphics.

I ask you to comment on the following procedure:

Uninstall ATI display software using add/remove in CP.

Check in Device Manager to be sure the ati display driver is gone. If not, right click and uninstall and disable ati as the display adapter.

Now run Driver Cleaner with filter set for all three ati sectors. I asume this is where your software makes sure there is nothing left of ati on my computer.

Then I turn off computer and install 7600gt

Turn computer back on and load nvidia software driver by installing forceware 93.71. Assuming the 7600gt works and I get back to windows.

I am an old computer builder and stopped doing this after win 95. Much trickier in old days in some ways. Neat little niche you boys have built. Hope my deal works easy, but it never does.

Thanks

6. Spike

Yes uninstall the ati display driver and catalyst control center that is also from the display driver. Reboot into safe mode and run driver cleaner. Select ATI and ATI CCC. Now shutdown your system and install the new card. Now you can boot to windows and install the display driver.

If you installed the new card and boot to normal windows then if windows should detect your ati integrated card then cancel the driver install of that and go to the device manager and disable it. I think it will have a yellow circle with a questionmark in it.