replaced hdds with sdds now systems slower then before

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Jason Bugaj, May 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jason Bugaj

Jason Bugaj New Member

i had 2 terabyte black hdds i assumed replacing them with crucial 2 tb ssds with yeild better performance but seems to be slower then before

750 watt evga full mod
    3900x amd 12 core cpu
    32 gigs ddr 4 3200 memory
    2070 evga black edition super
    asus tuff gaming x570 + wifi
    boot drive nvme 1 tb ssd
    500 gig micron ssd m2
    2x2tb crucial ssds

does using an all sdd system actually slow down performance

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

Did you reinstall Windows?

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

presuming the 2x2tb ssds are sata ssds?

A lot of systems regardless of make, tend to end up with sata overload. They weren't intended to handle too many SSDs over sata, the result is that it tries to access the data and fills the que to the brim resulting in delays. Standard HDDs are much much slower, so they can trickle in.

Even on the intel systems i've worked on, The moment you had 2 SSDs connected over sata, the chipset handling sata would be at it's PEAK load and any additional drives connected would start to experience "delays"... lag time depending on the actions taken. Adding any additional SSDs would most certainly prove to be fruitless under simultanious loads. Basically the sata chipset is hard locked to a maximum of about 750-950MB/s and a certain number of IOps. SSDs completely blows sata's limits out of the water, the very reason we are limited to 550MB/s raw throughput over sata is just a raw bandwidth limit, IOps also have a hard limit, the controller was never designed for it, even on modern systems. The only way to aleivate this issue is to invest in either an add-in high performance sata controller card and run through that, or better yet, invest in add-in NVMe m.2 cards.

IF anyone is looking for strictly storage space, either A: go with a high capacity HDD like the WD reds.. or invest in a large capacity NVMe.

Additionally, why 2x2TB? why not a single 4tb? Are you raiding it perhaps, and if you are, are you using software raid via windows (ideal) or using AMD's raid software (not ideal at all).

Mr Cairo likes this.
  4. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

Yeah add in NVMe cards are both cheap and effective. I use one myself, just plug it in the extra PCI-E slot and you're off.

I do have one 2TB SATA SSD, but just the one.

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

A few things:

1) When you installed the operating system, did you install the drivers supplied by Asus for the board, or did you rely on the pre-existing drivers within Windows 10? If so, be sure to follow the next 2 items.

2) if you are relying on the built-in drivers from Windows, be sure to reinstall the chipset driver from HERE. If you did this after installing Windows, do no do this option again.

3) Have you tried reinstalling the AMD RAID SATA drivers? You can grab those HERE.

4) Make sure you are running the most up to date bios from HERE.

5) Bios specific, be sure to double-check the bios settings for the 2 Crucial drives in the SATA. Make sure they aren't running in IDE mode.