Request: Noise Shaping

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by DocterDee, Jun 20, 2005.

1. DocterDee

DocterDee New Member

Is it possible to build a Noise Shaping DSP Plugin for kX? Most people know it from foobar2000 and i think it would be a great addittion for the DSP. For more information browse to http://www.answers.com/topic/noise-shaping

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I believe that has allready been done. Take a look here and see if that is what you are looking for.

3. radiocolonel.it

radiocolonel.it New Member

noise shaping is a dithering technique used to minimize quantization error.

At its most basic level, dither is required only when reducing the number of bits used to represent a signal. So, an obvious need for dither is when you reduce a 16-bit sound file to eight bits or reduce it from 24 to 16. Instead of truncating or rounding to fit the samples into the reduced word size--creating harmonic and intermodulation distortion--the added dither spreads the error out over time, as broadband noise.

It has nothing to do with noise sharpening that is the derivative of the signal;)

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info radiocolonel.it, I wasn't sure if he was talking about the same thing (and I hadn't had a chance to look at the link he provided), so I figured I would post the link to Tril's plugin just in case it was what he was looking for. Looking at the provided link and from your explanation, what would be the purpose of it here (i.e. inside the DSP)?

5. radiocolonel.it

radiocolonel.it New Member

U are welcome, Russ!
    I have no idea about the purpose of this plugin inside the dsp, at least i don't have this need. May be if u need bit reduction inside the dsp itself... boh!