Reserved System Space?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by as_izaak, Mar 5, 2005.

1. as_izaak

as_izaak New Member

Hello guys,

I have 3 partitions on my 120gig hdisk. c: is for windows, d:for programs and e: for media. The size allocated is 20gig for c:, 47 for d: and 47 for e:. I'm using Diskeeper Pro v9.0.504.0. However, there is something that confused me. Everytime I used Diskeeper, I noticed that there is a large portion of "reserved system space" in my c: and e: drive. Is there any way that I could just decrease or might as well delete this "reserved system space" because it is occupying about 6 gig of space on both drives? Is this thing created by windows or diskeeper? :confused: Thank You.

Windows XP Pro SP1 Build 2600
    Barton 2500+ fsb200x10 @ 2Ghz
    Abit Nf7-s
    512x1 Kingston PC 3200 DDR 400
    256x2 Kingston PC 2700 DDR 333
    HEC 300w PSU
    WD 120 GB 7200/8MB
    Ati Radeon 9800 SE
    Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM
    Liteon 52x32x52x CD-RW

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

turn off system restore on all drives.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

that and disable Hibernation in the "screensavers" tab in the display properties... sometimes it uses between 64mb to as much as 1gb....

4. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

that reserved space is the NTFS Master File Table (MFT) reserved zone, it's created when the partition was first formatted and is dynamically re-created everytime the system mounts the partition. by default, it is approximately 12.5% of the NTFS partition and is there so that the MFT can grow into it in a contiguous fashion. this reserved space isn't something that you can get back.

if you want to know how to check NTFS disk space allocation, read this article..

How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315688

if you want to save your HDD space, turn off system restore on all drives like Z. said. then find another way or a better way to backup your system, disable hibernation like Judas said, will also save a lot of your HDD space.

5. as_izaak

as_izaak New Member

Thanks Guys..