Resurrecting a 9800 Pro?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by One of the Twelve, Jan 23, 2005.

1. One of the Twelve

One of the Twelve New Member

Some days ago my Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro just "died". Well it did not die completely, there are yellow vertical stripes on Windows desktop and weird colors in bios bootup screen / windows startup logo, sometimes "random" ASCII chars fill the screen... So I have a strong feeling there is still some hope left. Card was not overclocked at the moment it happened. Just began to watch a movie and all of a sudden I realized something's not right. Can't RMA because I was using Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer on it. But I don't want to give up, if somebody knows how can I locate what's burnt in it (I have a feeling something's overheated), I could maybe get another dead R9800Pro and change some parts carefully. Any help much appreciated.

Meantime I'm using Sapphire R9600 Pro which feels pretty good replacement.:uhoh:

2. Popopinsel

Popopinsel New Member

I've had this problem a couple of months ago, when I decided to refill my watercooling... It wasn't pluged in correctly, so some water dropped on my 9800Pro which resulted in those werid ASCII codes in Bios and while booting... I shut my pc down immediately, took a paper towel and a hairdryer and saved my cards life ^^ So, if u have watercooled components, check their connections...

Greetz
    Popopinsel

3. One of the Twelve

Thanks... I do have water cooling (amd64 cpu) but I'm afraid that won't help now, I tested that card in my P4 system and same thing...
    :sigh:

4. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

It is probably dead if the same problem happens in both pc's. The silencer is making good contact with the gpu and the fan is fine right?

5. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Rma the card?

6. One of the Twelve

Got it back from RMA as it was "modded" (haven't been using the default cooler)... Cooler is ok, but I verified my cpu waterblock and noticed there may have been a little leak - big enough to destroy the radeon, the other tube was a little bit loose ... well I haven't even tried that 9800 since friday, maybe I try cleaning it with some alcohol like liquid and dry & try again.

7. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    lol I had the same thing. WC = maybe accident.. dont know what happened. anyway all of a sudden one morning had weird vertical lines going down in windows and some display corruption etc. for 3 days. 4 day took of heatsink installed old one (no wc). let it run for a few hours = still problems. restart... tried underclocking.... restart

VOILA it works again!!!! :) benchmarked it for 5 hours. let it cool down. test again all works.... odd odd..... maybe after 4 days and my old heatsink of doom = very hot = dried the card!?? lol dont know

9800Pro owns.

1 day later I installed my new (ordered before the 0800pro worked again) 9600XT which I have been using since, but in 2 days I will get my artic silencer and run my 9800Pro again (if it still works :) )

let the beast run a while, do some weird stuff. Pull it out put it back in. O/C and U/C it. god hit the dam thing and chuck in on the bed (i did that) now it works again :)

PS: sorry drunk english bad :x

8. One of the Twelve

Thanks germanjulian & driverheaven.net - your help just made my day :)

9. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

huh is it working? lol???

only when its fixed tell us we made ur day...