Retrieving data hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Neshi, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

one of my hdd's in a RAID 0 died. As in, I think it shorted (when I spilled water on my laptop).
    Is there a possibility to recover data from the 2 disks somehow, and how would I go about it?

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Contact a data recovering company, but it might cost you some money.

3. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

RAID 0?... data is lost. At best you could roll the dice and pay some data recovery firm big big bucks and send them all the disks that were in the RAID0 array and hope they recover something. Anyone putting things on a RAID0 array should assume the data is expendable and not worry about losing it... I have run many RAID0's and I NEVER keep anything on them the I can't live without.

QB

4. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

When I messed up my RAID-5 array I used iRecover Pro to get back the vast majority of it. I ignored the stuff with large file sizes that I could really live without (I was recovering around 2TB to free disk space, after all) and concentrated on documents, pictures, music and anything else that I could find.
    It did an exceptional job of recovering files. Some of the files and folders lost their filenames, however, but I was very impressed overall; I didn't lose anything from Pictures, Music, Documents or even Downloads. Besides, with enough time and effort, the files and folders without their original names can be renamed.

That said, you mentioned that one of the two hardrives failed; I just mucked up the array. In a RAID-0 the chances of recovering anything from the dead drive are slim to none and you will likely have a lot of lost data as its written to both drives. Fingers' crossed.

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I have a Recover My Files disk I got a few years ago and have had good success with recovering substantial data with it. It doesn't even have to be installed to work. You can run it from the optical drive as an Explorer app. It's really quite straight forward....and not very costly, either. I believe I paid about $30 - $40 USD for it at that time.

6. Neshi

I found a program called ReclaiMe raid recovery, so I will try that out.
    I just need some way of connecting the drives to my desktop.

7. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

If they're standard SATA there's no difference; a laptop SATA drive can be plugged into a PC, just like SSDs can.

8. Neshi

I know, but I would like to keep them out of my desktop. I wonder if there is some kind of usb3 connector to sata.
    But then I also need to power them... I don't know.

9. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

So did it work? Did you find a solution?

10. Neshi

no... I will have too look for some kind of connector. But with me spending my day from 8am to 6 or 7pm at the university, doesn't leave much time to go shopping. As in, they're already closed.

11. Sic Puppy

Sic Puppy Live from the Energy City of NZ

12. Neshi

Funny you mention that. I've just come back from a stop at the local PBtech asking if they have anything what I need.
    They mentioned one of these docking stations as well, but then one with 2 slots so a RAID array could be connected to the pc as well. Good cunt though, when I explained my problem he told me to bring the hard drives in so they could check out if the data was retrievable, before I splash out 50 or 60 bucks on such a piece of hardware. They could probably do it for free as well...

13. Sic Puppy

That's bloody good of them (I can see the need for the "GC" comment ;)). I must admit, although I've only ordered online from them, they have always given top service. Glad to hear it's the same in the stores. FYI we need a decent PC store in New Plymouth! Ask them to get their A's into G and open one a store up here would you Neshi! :D

14. Neshi

As you can see, language-wise I've been totally kiwi-nised now :D

Sic Puppy likes this.
  15. Sic Puppy

Any luck with your data recovery mate? How you managed to get some of it back....

16. Neshi

not yet. Too busy as of late, had to find a new place to live on short notice...