Revealed: Sony's plan for PlayStation 4K - codename Neo

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by MIG-31, Apr 19, 2016.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Ever since the mid-generational PlayStation 4 upgrade was revealed, and then confirmed, the big story we've all been chasing is the complete lowdown of the hardware specification. We're still not entirely sure why Sony is looking to release a mid-gen upgrade to its massively successful console, but at least now we have a firmer lock on the technological boosts Sony is bringing to the table, courtesy of this Giant Bomb report.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

exactly to a T... what i was saying when they announced x86 for the new consoles.

I would not be surprised if microsoft dropped a nearly if not maybe they could launch an even more powerful version that could outperform the ps4k....

Either way.... i have to facepalm at the people in comments on that article.... specially the one where someone was said "it's like a gtx 960 vs 960ti.... what a waste"..... if it is polaris gpu.... compared to a 7870.... the architectural differences are VERY significant.... GCN 1.3 vs 1.0..... Color Compression and other memory improvements on the gpu.... essentially DOUBLE the performance at least should be expected.... if not almost 2 and a half times.. it clearly shows a 2.3x flops multiplier... so it should be evident ... and as i said the various other efficiency improvements... not to mention power reduction..

I would be THOROUGHLY disapointed if the ps4k doesn't come with a UHD Bluray 4k playback capabilities.

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

If true. Stupid move IMO.
    Might as well release PS5 a year earlier.
    They are going to piss off a lot of people.

4. Judas

How is it stupid?.... Technological improvements occur.... instead of forcing a company to continually produce the exact same thing year after year as previous stock dwindles.... at an increased cost, specially if they move onto a newer processing such as the move to 14nm... it makes little sense to be forced to redesign to make it work on 14nm without implementing some improvements down the road.... you're already paying for it.. and it's cheaper overall because there are benefits... to make changes rather than sticking with the "similar" archaic design of the past.

There were what... 5 or 6 revisions of the xbox360.... each generation made subtle improvements to the system.. usually power savings and generally better designs.... who bitched then? "I want the low POWER lower heat producing model! Q.Q!"..... the most significant difference was the models that included an HDMI port... how many people raised a big stink over their older xbox360 without the hdmi port "having to buy" the newer model with the HDMI?...

It doesn't make any sense to just stay the status quo for the sake of a few people that aren't going to be happy regardless of what the hell one does. If they didn't make any changes of any benefit at all..... there would likely be if not more people thoroughly unimpressed.. specially if the nintendo NX happens to arrive with significantly more jam than even the ps4...

it's x86... take advantage of the scalability.... it would be idiotic not to.

If people can shell out 800-1500 dollars every year or 2 years for a new damn phone for utterly no point for a significant portion that seem to do it.... a nearly identically priced ps4k along with the ps4 vanilla being a little bit cheaper to roll out.... Seems like a total win win... don't care about graphics or speed overall? Find.. stick to the vanilla...... want something with more jam and pretty much guaranteed 1080p 60fps performance? Then pick up the ps4k.

It's not like they threw 15 different models with little to no differences between them with weird groupings into the mix... that would be stupid....

I would say a refresh every few years is much more desirable compared to having a need for a completely new and non backward compatible "ps5"...

5. Trusteft

Congrats on completely missing the point.

6. Judas

Why do you consistently fail to explain yourself well enough?

Clearly it wasn't hard to miss the point since there didn't appear to be one.

7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

People who bought current PS4 incarnations will be pissed. You buy a new console expecting that you'll have an up to date gaming system for years to come. That is actually one of the main rationales for buying a console over buying a PC for gaming: you pay a price of an, at best, mediocre PC and, like I said, you've got an up to date gaming system for a number of years. PS4.5 will make PS4 semi-obsolete much sooner than expected.

People get pissed off over less nowadays.

Trusteft likes this.
  8. Judas

It's not obsolete... it's just a smidge slower in some regards..... there will be no "exclusives".... no game is going to be created for the ps4k exclusively baring it from the ps4.... the only advantage is getting 60fps solid pretty much and 4K support (somewhat) thus far and of course 1080p recording (if all is 100% valid). Obviously a potential... but not likely "graphical" advantage if they increase texture/object/geometry games, but honestly i doubt they'd do this much or at all considering how lazy developers seem to get... or how impossible it is to implement by any significance when dealing with multiplayer.

Plus considering the going trend for "consoletes" is that most don't care about 60fps.... don't care about 1080p high resolution gaming that much.... are perfectly content with 720p or lower resolutions.. scaling solutions..... and with what it can do now. Add to this, there seems to be a few "reasonable" console players that actually applaud this move because it will likely reduce the cost of the existing ps4.... making it easier for entry level players to get their hands on a ps4... Specially when people that are "likely" to be pissed as the asshats that insist that they have the "latest and greatest" for no good reason and will sell over their previous ps4 in favor of the ps4k.

Those that get pissed off for such a minimal irrational thing... they hold themselves in contempt.... if they want to be this stupid about the situation... let them have it.... they've got no legitimate reason to be pissed off.

9. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

that would be the same as buying a tv somewhere and then being pissed when a week later they have it for sale...
    Shit happens, live with it.

10. Trusteft

This is.....like....nothing like it lol.

11. Neshi

ok, a week later they have a new revision with some more bells and whistles.
    It's not like it gets content which won't play on your tv, it's just not the newest and latest and greatest anymore...

I don't get why people would be mad... but humanity has never seized to amaze (in a bad way) me.

12. IvanV

A TV is expected to be replaced with a newer model every couple of months, a console is expected to stay current for a few years. Plus we live in a pissed off time, people get angry over anything.

I still remember the situation with AC Unity. The release was shambolic to say the least. To remedy things a little, Ubisoft gave all buyers of the ordinary edition a major single player DLC for free, while those who bought the season pass got to choose from several of their, at the time, current AAA titles. Sounds like a fair deal, right? Well, judging by the vitriol that season pass holders were pouring over that matter, Ubisoft stole the content that they paid for and gave it to some no good peasants that shouldn't have it.

But, back on point, I think, globally, this is a good thing. Last generation of consoles were cutting edge when they came out and still ended up severely constraining game development, both in graphics and gameplay departments, for the last several years of their lifespan. This generation's hardware was, on release, between mainstream and entry level compared to what was being sold in the PC market and consoles with more capable hardware can't come to soon.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  13. Trusteft

Sony is falling into MS's trap.

I hope they wake up before it is too late.

14. Judas

Just an FYI.... there is typically a YEARLY refresh of a tv.... with anywhere from 2 to as many as 4 revisions of the same exact tv..... add to this usually about 3 different "manufacturing" processes to satisfy the PURE true retail samsung distributors (typically more expensive)... another to satisfy the retail big box stores such as best buy and the walmart.... and then the 3rd is usually for high volume purchases.... Not every tv gets multiples.... but some do if there is a preorder.

Samsung for example usually brings out a complete top to bottom refresh every march-june... You can usually identify this by the Alphabetical advancement in the model. Example being the UN55D6500 ~> UN55E6500 ~>UN55F6500 and so forth.... Sometimes samsung will bugger this up though just to screw with peoples heads. Then they have usually 4 numbers at the end of the string to show it's "process" as well as revision.

Now things get interesting during the year.... there can be significant changes to the exact same model that can determine if HDMI 2.0 for example is supported at all.. or even across more than just one or 2 ports. Another is internal ARM processing capabilities... sometimes they get a bump ... sometimes the memory is expanded more so than before.... A range of functionality can "look" tv to tv the same... but under the hood they can be vastly different with some of these revisions/improvements. Even the screens themselves can be VASTLY different including the backlighting... this is why sometimes you can get the "same model" across an entire year and have mild through to extreme differences in visuals, and also why sometimes the "calibrated" recommended settings by pro reviewers won't pan out on a tv purchased later

This is why it's typically favorable to pick up a samsung tv into or after october if you can get the fresh off the truck models through a TOP choice retail distributor (more costly) rather than going through big box stores such as costco... they are cheaper for a reason.

Now with that in mind, no matter what anyones does, no one will ever have the "latest".... not for long.... and the existing stuff will always become dated... but it doesn't prevent you from playing the existing content and new content down the road... it'll just age like everything else.

What i can't comprehend though is JUSTIFYING purposely restricting progress/improvements of any significance while paying nearly the same price for the same old technology. That's one of the clinchers for pc's... people were building machines that were say a typical price and then 2 years later.. selling them for half or less than half their value... this continues today occasionally... though most people are building machines far cheaper now than before. But it would be ludicrous if the same components 2 years later were worth just about the same and nothing much better had arrived... no improvements made. I'd be more upset that we'd not have made any progress at all.

Same thing goes for ps4 vs ps4k.... both will still be sold together, no additional "slimming" of the ps4 is expected.. and i would also suspect that it would be eventually phased out once it's stock dropped to 0, no longer produced... to which the ps4k will be the only one ... this might take another 2 years.. and in that time... a ps4Kv2 might arrive using HBM2 instead of GDDR5 along with whatever other improvements come along including perhaps the ZENv2 cpu with 10 cores or something.

Either way.. just because a few .... and really the unreasonable/illogical few that are going to be pissed.. doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. I applaud the move... it was the defacto limitation of previous consoles... no longer.

15. Neshi

Not sure what kind of tv's you buy, but when I buy one, I expect them to last me at least a couple of years, if not 3 or more. Similar to consoles, really. But if they get a refresh or a discount or whatever a week (or even an hour!) later from when I bought them, you won't hear me complain to the store. At the time I bought it, I deemed it a good enough deal to part with my money. I will have to live with that purchase.
    Same goes when you sell something second hand for say $150 and later you hear it was worth double. You can't go back and demand the other $150 bucks from the person. At the time you were happy with the transaction, so you made it. Then you should live with it.

You are right about people getting pissed of, just so they can get pissed off. The anonymity of the internet certainly does not help with the civility of society, and I feel it is spilling out into the real world as well.

16. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Well I for one am not happy about this PS4 Neo thing, the original PS4 isn't even 2 and a half years old yet, I mean let us have our time in the sun for goodness sake.

17. Judas

Can you explain what the problem is then calliers? Why aren't you happy?... why are you upset?... it's not like your existing ps4 suddenly is of no value and is garbage..... it'll be fully supported for as long as ALL variations of the ps4 is...

Another thing to note.... why weren't there bitching back when there was hardrive size differences... "Oh my gaud, they brought out a 60GB..... my 20GB is completely shit now.... microsoft is screwing us over!".... yes those kind of statements were said... but it's simply pathetic and unreasonable.... should microsoft have forced everyone to remain 20gb .... and never release alternative sizes... including the no hardrive arcade entry model?

"But that's different".... again HOW?

18. IvanV

Judas, the idea that human beings could and should be completely rational is completely irrational. I picked up that bit of wisdom from an old professor of mine and I've found it to be fairly true. And he should know as he had years of experience as a psychotherapist as well.

BTW, where did Sony actually formally commit to supporting PS4 for as long as the upcoming PS Neo and possible future upgrades? Who says it's not going to be like with the iPhones, where we see a new device every year and in theory they all run the same apps, but only until the company in control of the platform decides to declare a certain generation obsolete, or, in some cases, until a certain generation, while officially still supported, becomes too slow to comfortably run new software?

19. Judas

If you read through the announcement and then i can't remember which one actually linked to the developers documentation.... Sony specifically stated that no developer would be allowed to create exclusive content for the PS4K "Neo"... that ALL PS4's must be accommodated and that the NEO would be the only one in which "additional" graphical settings could be implemented PROVIDED they don't impact the usability or create significant differences in the way whatever programs/apps/games work on the console. Basically they can add higher resolution textures or create additional special effects.. or bump up the draw distance perhaps a bit alongside increase the resolution from whatever they were using such as 720p..... and bump it to 1080p, instead of upscaling from 720p or whatever non 1080p resolution was being used.

A few of the articles do point this out in a sentence or 2... at most.. but since most everything on the internet is clickbait to try and get insane amounts of ads to funnel money to themselves... actual new worth articles are near impossible to find... specially ones without insanely heavy bias.... Instead they tend to try to omit facts and exclude the nuance that should be present.... and side with the "larger" vocal group so they get shared and liked and of course more revenue.... Those that state facts that disagree with the irrational agenda of the vocal majority tend to get ignored and frankly.... if they are lucky, they might get burnt alive if it's flammable enough for the people REALLY disliking being informed of reality.

On the first point however... i know full well and i don't EXPECT every or even most "humans" to be rational in the least bit... it is irrational to assume they would.... but it does seem like this is a cop out today.... common sense seems to be completely non-existent.... Zero consideration of anything else but most of themselves or whatever.... SJW on a rampage and the complete and total bullshit they spew is fairly good evidence of how far along it's come. It has gotten really quite horrible.

20. Trusteft

The fact that Judas, one of the most anal retentive, picky sob on the planet, finds difficult to understand why people who bought a console to use for up to 10 years, to be obsolete after 3 years, is fraking hilarious.