Rome Series 2 has ended

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by HardwareHeaven, Mar 27, 2007.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

and boy what a series it was. That is some of the best tv ive seen in the last decade. A real shame its over, I hope they renew it for series 3. Some brilliant actors, scripts and sets.

HBO are great, I have loved quite a few of their shows like six feet under, carnivale (weird as hell) to name a few.

2. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Ever been to Rome itself? It's probably my favourite place in the whole world. I can just lose myself in the history of the place. I'm hoping to get back later this year.

3. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

I haven't seen it yet. I liked Deadwood, too bad that is getting cancelled as well. Most of HBO's shows are expensive to make. I think that's why they get cancelled. I heard Deadwood was costing around $1 million per episode to make. I wouldn't be suprised if Rome cost that much to make too. Maybe that's why it was so good.

4. mike2h

mike2h New Member

rome was awsome & so is deadwood(hope that aint true...). huh, Z, rome is the series & it is season 2. not series 2 ;)
    i am pretty bummed about it being over. hbo does kickass when it comes to series. sopranos starts in a couple of weeks...

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

It was a great ending to the series and I think they knew it was the final episode judging by the ending.

There's no question HBO was spending far too much on this series. I've watched many BBC, History Channel and Discovery Channel mini-series on Ancient Rome and some of the better onces were able to rival the epic look of HBO's Rome through the use of CGI. HBO should have used more CGI and less massive sets it probably would have saved the series.

HBO just lost their 2nd and 3rd most popular shows, Deadwood and Rome, and Sopranos is ending which is going to leave a huge gap in their programming. I hope this isn't the end of HBO's quality programming.

6. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

I have both seasons on DVD (thanks to my TV wonder 650 :D ) I hope they
    have a seaon 3 but hopefuly we won't have to wait so bloody long for it either.

Anyways now I can and will cancel my subscription to HBO

7. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

8. mike2h

mike2h New Member

'john' doent sound even remotely interesting. & leaving deadwood hanging like that is fkd.

9. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Pretty sure Rome is done for good now :( and as for deadwood, there is suppose to be 2 2 hour 'movies' to die up the loose endings i do believe.

As for the episode i thought it was done extremely well. Great ending to a great series.

10. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

never watched Rome, might have to catch it online if it's that good :)
    Deadwood I loved, fantastic show. who'd have thought Lovejoy could be so goddamn baaad :lol:

11. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Who was your favorite actor/actress in Rome and do you think the series will launch their career?

James Purefoy, who played Marc Antony, is definitely my pick.
    [​IMG]

He actually played V in V for Vendetta but quit filming supposedly due to issues acting with the mask. Purefoy needs to be in some big movies.

The actor who played Titus Pullo is also great but he's gonna be more limited to period pieces due to his bulk. He played a similar warrior character in "King Arthur" from 2004.

12. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I haven't seen all of the second series yet but I'm also impressed by the quality. It's so good I'm stupified as to why some corporate excecutive did not can it mid-season. :p

13. ZzzombieBunny

ZzzombieBunny Cake or Death?

Definitly is one of my favourite shows, along with Battlestar Galactica I havent missed a single episode and its always been the highlight of every week. I really enjoyed the first season and was thrilled and happy when I noticed it returned back for a second season to continue the story arc of the characters.

Some of the highligts of the second season was probably the death of Brutus, he came along as a total coward and tool until his final defeat, where he then dies like a real man. Im not all that familiar with the history, but if he died anything like that in real life, he sure kept what little honor he had left to his grave.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  14. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I believe he committed suicide, but how he committed really isn't known.

15. ZzzombieBunny

ZzzombieBunny Cake or Death?

Kinda guessed they polished it up for the dramatic effect, kinda felt odd how hed suddenly decide to meet up a violent painful death when hes been sucha coward up to that point.

Did Anthony and Cleopatra commit suicide as well in real life? Gaius Octavian really was a cruel, cold and calculating man. Reminds me of Hitler who was also very charming and calculating politician, strategist and also enjoyed slapping around women during sex from what I understand. He studied and took a lot from the roman empire and his third reich would have looked a lot like a modern Rome if he had won the war. Who knows, if Rome hadnt been sacked the world would still probably be heavily influenced by Roman culture. Rome falling is probably one of the bigger defining historical moments in human history, I hope theres a future season of this series that portraits the events leading up to it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  16. mike2h

mike2h New Member

the world was & still continues to be affected by roman 'culture'. of course rome 'borowed quite a bit from the greeks & other surrounding civs to make their culture - it was never static for to long.
    io dont think defining is quite the proper word as the fall took a couple of centuries:)& quite a few 'sacks'.
    im with you am really hoping they continue, but another prob with that-besides the $$- is that they would have to make it multi generational. not sure if/how that would work.
    still they could continue on for at least one more season with the actual characters they r dealing with.