Route output to input (virtual audio cable)

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by ejac, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ejac

ejac New Member

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it using the search feature.

I would like to route the audio from one program to the input of another, like it is possible with the program virtual audio cable. But then only using the drivers.

As far as i can see it seems not possible, but maybe I don't see that far?

I am using an old creative platinum live on win xp 32

2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Its not possible with just the driver it self... you need some kind of software, like VAC, theres another in these forums, tho I never tested it...

http://www.driverheaven.net/audio-g...dio-creative-soundcard-another-soundcard.html

If you want to send audio from a virtual instrument (aka a software synth application) to record the audio - I suggest using a DAW host that supports ASIO and VST & DX synths and use the (likely?) VSTi/DXi version of the soft synth - you have least amount of latency this way.

Alternatively you could use a cable and connect one sound cards output to another cards input - SPDIF (Digital) is preferred, but analog could work also.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Sounds like he wants to go from program to program, not link two cards together.

4. ejac

ejac New Member

Thx for the responses, just wanted to know for sure.

5. Tyrsonswood

I don't know if it's possible or not, I was just clarifying what you wanted to do.... you're taking the output of one application and wanting to route that into another app, correct? Not link two cards.

6. ejac

ejac New Member

yes, i do. I want to route al least 2 stereo channels from traktor into ableton live. I found a tutorial using virtual audio cable here:
    Smart Mixing Traktor with Ableton at djtechtools.com
    But i seem to have some troubles with it, and i seem to have to use asio4all to get the routing done, but I cant route the final output from ableton into my own asio drivers, it only sees the dx (or whats its name again) ones.

They suggested that, when your soundcard supports it, its preferable to route using the drivers.

I have created my own simple dsp patch to route traktors monitor output to my headphones, and the main output to all 6 surround channels.
    So i thought it might be possible, but then after some reading i didnt find anything that enables me to route something back to an input i could use in a audioapplication.

My question now could be: is this something that could be done within the kxproject? I guess there are more ppl who could benifit from this feature. (+ vac isnt free)

(In the future, I will be buying a soundcard better suited for these requirements though)

7. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

You can connect wave and ASIO playback (from FXBus) into an ASIO input (Epilog) in kX DSP. You may just need to put a volume control between the two, as, there are cases, I dont exactly recall when, it is not recommended to connect FXBus directly to epilog.

Edit: after looking at that tuorial - I dont completely understand what they are accomplishing - but ASIO4ALL allows using a WDM device in an ASIO application, which *coulb be* what prevents driver problem complaints when multiple applications attempt to use same audio device already in use. So I am thinking it is still needed, just may be able to avoid VAC with the above info /edit.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  8. ejac

ejac New Member

I overlooked the asio recording inputs in the epilog, thx.

Idd, this seems to be a problem, cant load the kx asio driver for 2 running applications. Asio4all can be loaded for both applications, but asio4all seems only to work with the wdm drivers, so I cant use it to overcome this problem and let it route the audio to the kx asio outputs or inputs.

9. Tyrsonswood

Have you looked into reaper DAW?..... it comes with a routing package called ReaRoute that I believe does what you want to do and I think it can be used stand alone, without the DAW..... of course when you see what reaper can do you may want to use it .... It's worth looking at anyways.

I use the DAW and it's amazing, but haven't touched the router package yet because I'm not routing from app to app.

It's a free evaluation download, so you won't be out anything to see if it's going to work for you.

10. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

possibly - if you can use only some channels in both, may work... ie

Traktor - use kX ASIO but *only* ASIO 0/1
    Then in Ableton use ONLY the ones not in use by traktor

Its worth trying if the applications give that level of configuration detail (as opposed to use all or nothing scenario) .. ?? I am not familiar with either app. Sorry. please report back if it does.

11. ejac

ejac New Member

It seems not possible to select kx asio for both applications. Both ableton and traktor allow the user to select which outputs and inputs it uses, but when one application is using kx asio, the other isnt able to query the drivers for inputs/outputs, or i get a device already in use error.

Weirdly enough, asio4all doenst give this error. Asio4all does open 2 instances of its configuration application when selected twice, so i guess it's been designed for such circumstances.

12. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I suspected as much...

You *should* be able to use ASIO4ALL in one app (Traktor) - and use kX ASIO in Ableton - then connect FXBus to epilog (to ASIO IN via a St Vol) and avoid the need for VAC - *I think* should work.