Router and external harddrive hlp

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by MooN*FiRE, Sep 29, 2008.

1. MooN*FiRE

MooN*FiRE Pandemonium Fortress

What are some good routers and external harddrive for either macbook or ibook.. probably the new editions.

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

for both of those, the answer is the the same as you'd get if you were using a PC :)

for ezternal hard-drives, the "best" is generally one you build yourself, but here's a few tips
    get a nice enclosure with plenty of airflow (either with a fan or open grill like the coolermaster xcraft, also make sure the enclosure has the right connections you want to use - if you can get one with firewire, get it, it's much more efficient than usb
    for the hard-drive, pick the capacity you need from a brand you'd, and make sure you get at least a 7200RPM drive

3. MooN*FiRE

MooN*FiRE Pandemonium Fortress

shopping is fun when you have a ton of hope and dreams :D

Okay I'll give it a try.. thanks for your advice.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

4 things to add to this:

- One reason to get a case that has Firewire is that sometimes transferring large amount of data over USB can cause data errors (corrupt data), or cause the transfer to fail. With Vista this is not as big an issue, but it is with XP.

- Try to get a case that has eSATA too. This is just as fast as an internal SATA connection, and a lot of motherboards come with plenty of these. Even if your board has no eSATA connector, cases like the Vantec Nexstar 3 (NST-360FBSU-BK) included a SATA to eSATA back panel plate. As a side note, that Vantec Nexstar 3 case also includes Firewire 400/800, as well as USB 2.0, so you are covered for when you use it elsewhere.

- DO NOT get a cheap case. Far to often I've seen the PSU on cheap cases die all the time. While this can happen even with name brand built cases the difference is in the warranty. Cheap case or PSU dies you're SOL unless you can convince the seller to replace it for you. With a name brand unit there is usually a recourse for getting it replaced.

- Last thing, building it yourself allows you to change the drive within the case anytime you want, with whatever drive you want. This allows you to get a hard drive that has a long warranty, and you can change the drive with ever increasing sizes as you need too without voiding warranties. The same cannot be said for prebuilt external units. Open the case, bye bye warranty on the whole unit.

5. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

i've had this Antec enclosure loaded with a 320GB 7200.10 in it for about a year now.

Newegg.com - Antec MX-1 USB2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure - External Enclosures

runs very quiet, both eSATA and USB 2.0 work well, there is no firewire. Fan works well, it is currently at 35c and it maxs out at 40c on hot days. It is the first external encloser i've owned so i can't give a good comparison, but i can vouch for it being well built, nearly silent, cool running and has never gave me any kind of trouble connecting.

PSU is the external "brick" type. Slightly annoying but i do not ransport it around daily, or weekly for that matter. The only con i have found is the socket where the PSU plugs into the unit, it is slightly loose feeling when plugged in, but again has never given me trouble. The fact that it has no firewire may be a con for you as a mac user though.

Biggest factor for me when choosing this enclosure was the ANTEC quality reputation and the fact it had a fan for active cooling. Took a lil gamble with the silent claim and a fan, but it payed off.

I also have one of these in the 250 GB size and it is great and may be better for you with a laptop if portability is a factor. No PSU required, but it may also run down a laptop battery a lil faster.

Newegg.com - Western Digital My Passport Elite WDML3200TN 320GB USB 2.0 Titanium External Hard Drive - External Hard Drives

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

unfortunately, eSATA won't do any good for a macbook/ibook, as there's no eSATA port there, so firewire's the go

7. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

ya lap top ic

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Although, getting a case that has support for all 3 can be of great benefit, even to Mac users. It gives you different options for transferring data wherever you might be, plus it leaves your options open for future upgrades such as moving from a Macbook to a Macbook Pro (which you can get an eSATA Expresscard for).

Options options... that's what it's about. ;)