Router Security

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by SoCal66, Feb 26, 2004.

1. SoCal66

SoCal66 New Member

Sorry for the string of inquiries.

I just noticed something today. My lappy has a 11b wireless card built in and when I went to search for signals this afternoon I picked up my neighbor's signal too. I have good signal strength with his connection...His connection is obviously un-secure as I tapped it for giggles. Does using his signal over mine have any draw-backs? I figure using his has no harm to me as I am still protected by a router, at least. Reason I ask, I have yet to purchase my wireless router and this new found signal(s) makes me want to ride it a while longer (You know, the whole delayed payment issue)

Thanks again, I appreciate your answers

2. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

Well, it's illegal if you don't ask his permission to use it, but that's a moral issue for you to tackle on your own. Otherwise, it would probably be indistinguishable from owning your own connection and your own router, except if he starts using a lot of bandwidth or a lot of interference comes up you have no recourse. If you're on good terms with the neighbor, perhaps you should ask if you could use his connection for a short while in return for you securing his wireless network with a WEP key?

3. drakesteakn

drakesteakn boo!!!!

use it awhile longer till u get ur own, then go over and tell him he is vulnerable to people stealing his signal. and then show him with ur laptop. or u can just share it with him and pay some of the bill. just some possibilities.

4. SoCal66

SoCal66 New Member

Those Damn Morals...

As I was thinking...I figure I will put off buying my router until...I get the right one (Linksys G). Ya I think I will let them know too about that...its kind of funny at the same time as it potentially dangerous for them...WEP Key it is for them

Thanks