Router with USB 2.0 NAS (Network Atached Storage)?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by raid517, Oct 28, 2006.

1. raid517

raid517 New Member

Hi is there any such thing as a router with a USB 2.0 port that will allow me to attach an external USB 2.0 hard drive to it?

What are my options if I want something like this?

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

must say that if one exists it's not cheap...

3. raid517

raid517 New Member

Well there is a Netgear WGT634U - which I own. But it's a bit slow - and no longer in production - and the wireless on it is pretty useless (I had to disable the onboard wireless and use it with my own US Robotics wireless bridge).

There is also a US Robotics router - but again - as you said, that definitely isn't cheap (about $300) - and that isn't wireless at all.

I am really just looking for something more reliable - and preferably faster.

Interestingly, you can replace the firmware on the WGT634U with a custom compiled openwrt firmware - although I'm kind of scratching my head as to what the advantage of doing so would be? It almost seems like it has been done simply because it can be - but I would be interested to know what the potential benefits are?

I am sure however I heard about a bunch of other consumer level routers with USB ports to allow for the attachment of external mass storage/usb drives and memory sticks earlier in the year.

Indeed for whatever reason, I imagined that they were really pretty common - but apart from the WGT634U and some Belkin product (which got awful reviews) and the horribly expensive USR one - I haven't been able to uncover anything else.

I mean was I wrong - or are these things just not as common as I thought?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  4. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

You've noticed yourself that the solutions that have been put to market have been expensive and really haven't worked very well. I would imagine that being able to get something like that to market and making is economically workable would be difficult to say the least.

If you really want a router that can act as network storage then it may be time to invest in a cheap PC with Linux running on it and use it as a file server as well.

5. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

There was an article on Toms Hardware about something similar methinks, something about a router that did BitTorrent sans a PC