Saddam sentenced to death

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by MIG-31, Nov 5, 2006.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein was found guilty of crimes against humanity and sentenced to death by hanging by Iraq's High Tribunal on Sunday. Saddam's half brother, Barzan Ibrahim, and the one-time head of Iraq's former Revolutionary Court, Awad Hamed al-Bandar, were also sentenced to death. Former vice president Taha Yassin Ramadan was sentenced to life in prison, while former Baath Party official Mohammed Azawi Ali was acquitted and immediately freed for lack of evidence. Three other party officials, including a father and son, were sentenced to up to 15 years in prison for torture and premeditated murder. The verdicts mark a political watershed that authorities fear could spark renewed bloodshed among Iraqis who endured more than two decades of brutal authoritarian rule under Saddam. Saddam and his seven co-defendants were tried by the Iraqi High Tribunal over a wave of revenge killings carried out in the city of Dujail following a 1982 assassination attempt on the former dictator. Saddam faces additional charges in a separate case over an alleged massacre of Kurdish civilians.

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=1217406

2. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Damn, can't say I feel sorry for the poor bastard. He got himself into this mess.

Wonder if it will be televised anywhere.

3. TheBlackCat

TheBlackCat New Member

Bad PR. It makes it look like a show trial if they were to put it on TV.

4. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Yes, killing somebody is always the answer isn't it?

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

the ghosts scream from their graves for Saddam to join them. There are many hells for Saddam to plunge into, I pray this sends a message to the Arab world, but I fear it will only insight the religious turmoil in IRAQ and further reinforce the interests of IRAN and SYRIA

6. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

You would think Iran would be cheering his death but they must hate us more.

7. OnDborder

OnDborder New Member

You know what the irony of this whole mess is???
    We, the allied force, are probably killing the same people Sadam was.. With the exception of the Kurds. He was killing insurgence, in his definition, and we are killing our insurgence.. The difference being, he had better, or better yet, he had control..

8. BWX

BWX get out and ride

No, but sometimes it is.

9. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Hmm... What would you expect from "show" trial ....
    Ok. before all you start hinting me.. I know what Saddam have done when he was in power. But USA supplied weapons in 80's to them... when some if the crimes were done...

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

So the US is guilty of his crimes?

If I give you a gun and you go shoot 8,000 people am I guilty? No, it is all up to personal responsibility. We supported him at the time because he was the lesser of two (or more ) evils. That does not make the US responsible for all of his mass graves.

11. TheBlackCat

TheBlackCat New Member

It doesn't make us blameless, either. I agree that Saddam was horrible, and I would only oppose a death penalty because I worry about the implications to local politics. But the US cannot just wash its hands of the whole thing and pretend we had nothing to do with it. We do bear some responsibility.

If you give a gun to someone you know is almost certainly going to misuse it then turn a blind eye when he starts shooting innocent people with it, yeah you deserve some blame. It was your gun, you were responsible for how it was used and who could use it, you gave it to him knowing the risks, so you deserve some of the blame for what he did. Not all of it certainly, and it obviously does not mean he deserves any less blame for what he did, but the act of giving him the gun was wrong and you should have known better. Or in this case you did know better but did it anyway, which is even worse.

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well he bears the responsibility for his actions, not the USD government. We can't predict the future, nor could we back then.

13. jp306

jp306 New Member

So I guess it's Russia's fault that terrorists have AK47's? We sold them weapons when they were fighting Iran(an enemy to the USA) in a war. Did the US give him chemical weapons to kill kurds or machete's to cut of hands,ears,and heads.

14. TheBlackCat

TheBlackCat New Member

Sometimes it is possible to have a pretty good idea what someone is going to do.

15. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_warfare#Chemical_warfare_in_the_Iran-Iraq_War

16. jp306

jp306 New Member

wikipedia Is not a good source of accurate information because anyone can post anything there whitout any proof to support what they are saying.

17. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

That's true but you can always check the references that are listed at the bottom of the page. The same could be said about any page on the internet as well.

18. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Hell, the world would be the most perfect and happiest place ever if no body died or were killed. If there were no genocide and mass murderers. If we all could just get along and sit at camp fires singing and laughing together. I'm sorry but I don't think I've ever seen that world.

Hmm you know what we should have done to Hitler and Saddam? We should have slapped them on the wrist and told them, no. Bad dog, don't do it again and then send them to prison and bleed the system...

Though Death is useless it is a part of life, people die.

Lets say we lived in a perfect world with no war...No countries restricting how many kids you can have born...No genocide even...No people dieing from cancer...In fact no one is dieing and there is a cure for everything, no one murders no crime.

Yay a perfect world right?

Wrong. If that were the case every single person on this planet would be dead or soon be dead in the next few decades as our resources are exhausted from the over population of the planet.

Hmm, maybe there is war for a reason. Maybe there are diseases for a reason. Maybe there are murderers for a reason.

So sure, lets all hold hands and sing and dance in an endless field of flowers until we slowly starve to death.

19. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I'm gonna miss Saddam. He was a good boogeyman now we'll have to find another one I hope he doesn't have nukes either. :D

20. jp306

jp306 New Member

The problem is that there are no creditable sources listed.