Samsung Galaxy Ace

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by Tril, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

I bought my first smartphone.

I've had a iPod Touch 32GB for a while. It's really nice.

I thought about getting an Iphone but I wanted to pay less and I wanted to try an android phone. That way, I could use Iphone and Android apps.

I had to choose between the phones here : https://shop.koodomobile.com/phones/models/index.html

I compared a few of them with : Compare Cell Phones

I chose the Samsung Galaxy Ace.

Unfortunately for me, I did not compare all the models (I only compared the cheaper models) and I did not compare memory and Adobe Flash support.

The Samsung Galaxy Ace has only 158 MB of internal memory. I ran out of memory while installing apps the first day I got it. You can insert an SD card to get more memory but not all apps can be installed on it. I successfully rooted the phone and installed an app that can force apps to be moved to the SD card. Even then, it does not work on all app and when it works, it still leave some files on the internal memory so it only increases the total number of app you can install a little.

Adobe gives which phones are certified to install Flash : application programming | Adobe Flash Platform - Certified devices

The Samsung Galaxy Ace is not on the list so it will not install Adobe Flash from the app market.

Apart from those two problems, the phone works well. It has usb thetering and mobile hotspot. The usb thetering feature gives internet access to a computer through the 3G data connection. It works well. I used it a few times after moving before I got internet in the appartment. The mobile access point gives internet access through wi-fi. I can use it to give internet access to my iPod Touch when I don't have access to wi-fi.

This is just marketing and misleading. There's no way you'll get 420 hours (17 days) of standby time. In normal use with gps off, bluetooth off, wi-fi off and data on, the battery needs to be recharged every day. I also deactivated the data connection when I went on a trip and forgot the charger. The battery lasted two or three days instead of one. The only way to get longer battery usage would be to use plane mode. That may be how Samsung was able to get such a long standby time for their specs. Either that or what thet call standby time is actually the phone powered off.

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Yes, if you turn everything but the bare essentials off and never touch your phone so the display is always dark... then you might get some good standby time out of it, but how usable is that? :p

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I have the Galaxy Indulge and, to some degree, I'm having some of the same issues.

This is actually the 2nd unit I've had as the first one wouldn't give me more than about 3 - 4 HOURS of battery life no matter how I tried to extend it. The only way I could continue using the phone through my work shift was to buy a second battery and car charger.

They [MetroPCS] replaced that phone with one with a newer firmware. This one does last much longer but, still, no matter how much I may restrict the use, it still has to be charged every single day. If I use it much at all, I still need the 2nd battery and/or put it on the car charger.

I got an email from my customer rep just yesterday saying he's opened a ticket on my handset due to the fact that I'm constantly losing the 4G signal. Well, it's not just the 4G signal, either. I lose Internet connection constantly in areas where they know they have a good...or CLAIM to know they have a good...signal.

Presently, I'm really not very happy with the overall experience. Why have all these features if using them causes the phone to go dead so quickly?

OH, I know!!! It's to cut down on Bandwidth use!! ;)

Anyway, I'm giving them one more month to get the signal matter fixed and if they don't, I'll likely switch carriers to one I know is having a better response from users.

4. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Maybe try Cyanogenmod for the Ace. That might open up flash for you and allow better tweaking of app installs. (Just remeber to back-up your original OS first)

5. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I've actually gotten the battery in my Xperia to last a bit longer through excercising it. Let it fully discharge, then charged it up for like 15 hours, let it fully discharge again and then the same time to charge yet again. After that it really does last almost twice as long so instead of charging every night i only charge it every other night now.

I try to let it discarge before I charge it up again when possible, for some reason it seems like it does the battery good.

I have no empirical evidence for this being true in any way, it just seems to work for me...

6. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

Something happenned and I'm not sure what. For the past five days, I've kept Background data and auto-sync off, gps on, I did not use any app and only talked a few minutes. The battery is only down to 50%. I usually drained it in 24 hours before.

My guess is that I updated an app that runs in the background that had a bug that caused the battery to drain. Or, when gps is off, the phone tries to find the location using the cell signal which draws more power than gps. Or maybe it's because of auto-sync being turned off.

7. Dyre Straits

I went from bad to worse! Early yesterday afternoon I was able to get a replacement for what was determined to be a faulty Galaxy Indulge. But, from the moment the new phone was handed to me until this very moment, the signal is stuck at 1X. I've checked the Android forums and gone through every suggested "fix" for being "stuck on 1X" and nothing has worked.

The customer rep is going to do a reset this morning and, fingers crossed, that will take care of it. But, if that doesn't do it, I'm sure I'll be back to the store for yet another phone.

I'm not holding my breath at this point that they can get things working properly. Come the 18th of March, I may be with a different carrier. I'm just that disgusted with how things have gone since I opted for the appeal of 4G LTE with MetroPCS.

8. Dyre Straits

There's a happy beginning to this story. :)

I was really upset last time when my newly-acquire Indulge simply quit booting up.

To make a very long story short, I got on my PC and did some reading at the Android Forums. There, I found a way to do a factory reset on the phone. [Hold down the "R" key while pressing the Power button.] This brings up a menu on the screen.

I opted to both do a Factory Restore as well as the Clear the Cache.

After doing this, the phone booted up without a hitch. AND, without the annoying vibrations that had been happening. [Those vibrations were indicating some kind of error was happening.]

Anyway, the phone has been performing fantastically since then. And, not only that, but, I was able to go for nearly 12 hours on a single battery charge. That's unbelievable to me after the way the previous Indulge phones had been doing.

So, I do hope the goodness continues.