Samsung overtakes Nokia in phones

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by MIG-31, Apr 27, 2012.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Read Full Story Here.

Samsung Electronics overtakes Nokia to become the world's largest maker of mobile phones and reports an 81% increase in quarterly profits.

2. Resistor

Resistor Get it Going..

Re: Samsung overtakes Nokia in phones

Not surprise at all... Nokia is falling behind..

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

This is what happens when companies get to comfortable with their position. Ericsson was the biggest once until they started to think they didn't need to make an effort to stay on top, then Nokia flew right past them. Now they've done the same mistake, they haven't quite listened to their customer base and this is the result.

Same will happen to Samsung eventually. ;)

4. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Nokia's phone sales have mostly been based on "dumb" phones and that market is shrinking so Nokia is not manufacturing as many. Nokia is restructuring and moving factories to other countries which is going to have a knock on effect on production.

Also this is a shipped value not sold value and ultimately Apple's latest three phones have almost the same market share as the entire Android market share. Samsung may ship the most but it doesn't mean they are selling the most.

5. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Yeah nowdays even developing markets want's smartphones. Nokia has some low end models based on Series 40 but they fight against Android systems... Lumia isn't selling so well since most people don't like the word windows but they still use windows in their laptops or PC's....

6. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

That's why the Lumia 900 has been selling out in AT&T stores throughout and topped Amazon's best selling phone for more than a week. The UK release for the Lumia 900 has had to be pushed back to meet the US demand.

There's been a lot of negative "press" about Lumia sales and traction but none of those have come from a non-anonymous source where as the positive article are coming from named sources or public materials.

7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

From what I've heard, it's likely that Samsung has also surpassed Apple in smartphone sales.

8. Drivers1

Drivers1 kX Drivers CZ

Quite pitty, because my Symbian phone E-52 with GPS, Wifi, all those social apps and other modern stuff is rock stable and as for battery, there is no other smart phone these days with such performance management.

9. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

My last two phones have been Samsung models. I wasn't that impressed with the Indulge. But, I'm not so sure it was the phone's fault or if it was mainly the carrier. Although, I strongly suspect the carrier.

My newest phone, the Samsung Epic has been a much better experience and I also changed carriers.

I've ordered a better battery for it, too. From reports I've read, this new battery should give me at least a couple more hours of use before it needs charging.

These two phones were primarily selected due to the physical keyboard. I'm not at all good with a virtual keyboard.

10. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Next time I'm buying a phone for making actual calls it'll quite certainly be another relatively low end Nokia. They've nailed it there both in hardware and software. The problem with their smartphone line to me is, that I'm simply not looking to any smartphone when it comes to the need of making calls.

If a lot of people dislike Windows Phone because of Windows, wait until they'll starting really hating Windows Phone for Metro because of Windows 8 Metro. ;)

IvanV likes this.
  11. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

+1, I couldn't agree more.

12. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Metro is for tablets and touch phones not your pc ;)
    I think that wp 8 will be like wp 7.5 in terms of gui...