San Andreas - just how much do YOU like it?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

The game has been running great for me, no lockups or sound problems whatsoever. I've only played it for about 3 hours though. (running on the PC in my sig)

I preferred the mafia theme of the previous GTA's more than this ghetto theme....all the "jive-talking-lingo" in this game gets on my nerves after awhile. :x

But the game itself is quite fun. It controls pretty well with a Logitech RumblePad 2. (basically it's just like a playstation controller)

Did this game have all the over-the-top swearing in it on the consoles?!? :wtf:

2. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

I'm officially in love with GTA:SA now, Ive just completed a mission that I tried on the PS2 version, the russian mafia bike chase with Big Smoke, and after it took 5 attempts for PS2, I thought I would have trouble with it, not so, first attempt, aced it, totally loved it :)

And yes, the game had over the top swearing on the consoles :p I love the panic in the peoples voice during chases :)

3. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

Can you turn the swearing off?

4. Stop It

Not that Im aware of, although, being an 18 cert, and being a game that involves gang warfare, much killing and the like, I think the swearing is the least of the offensive material in there.

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Been playing for about 12 or more hrs now- it's pretty good.

As far as I can see you cannot assign the AXIS of the controller?? Man, that almost ruins the game for me. It seems you need a game pad with 30 buttons to have full control- mine has 9 and it is not any where near enough.

It has 9 buttons, 2 analog sticks, (but those are at the mercy of whatever the game thinks you should use them for, so they are almost worthless) and also it has a directional pad.. and "slider"- still the game won't give you control of all of the axises, or turn them off for that matter, which would also solve some control issues.

This game would be perfect if the controls were more thought out. Using a keyboard sux for driving, and using the gamepad sucks for the walking part..
    I hope they make a patch that helps.

If anyone is getting freezes with ATI 5.6 drivers, turn on VPU recover- without error reporting, and it fixes the problem, I had a couple before I did that..

The sound is good, until it goes haywire, and many sounds cut out completely. I guess you need a Creative card to get good sound (that lasts- and doesn't cut out).. The Fortissimo doesn't like it. Hopefully they patch this thing up.

Still pretty fun though,and looks surprisingly good for how ugly the ultra low res textures are.

6. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Love this game. Been playing since last weekend and I love it. I've only managed a couple of hours play time but I think this is gonna be one of those games that lasts me a good few months.

7. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah really, if stomping someone's head with your shoe until it pops, running people over with cars, and busting caps in everyone's ass doesn't bother you, the swearing certainly shouldn't!! :lol:

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Yeah I agree, its something you fire up even just to mess around with, i try frequently to hit the top star wanted rating, with a rocket launcher its possible but its hard work.

9. HardwareHeaven

funny I thought that at the start too, but the more you play it, the funnier it gets, its really tongue in cheek, and I think thats what the censors who hate rockstar always miss in their prissy little fits. there is so much fun dialogue in this game at key moments I cant fail to like it. I mean did you ever stand in front of a bike and drop kick some woman off it to say "didnt anyone ever tell ya, bikes was dangerous bitch?" in that famous CJ drawl?

I mean thats just pure class, then again ive a sick sense of humour :lol:

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I found a shotgun doing that- I was up to 4 stars- but they couldn't find me- so the cops started swarming with helicopters and swat teams jumping down from ropes... Crazy shit!!

I am on like the 8th mission.. found shotgun and a bullet proof vest in the same "area"- I won't say where- for the people who don't want spoilers.

Definitely a totally immersive game- and addicting!

I even tried driving with my Momo racing wheel- that was interesting.. too bad it wouldn't let me use the pedals for gas and brake- I could control the camera and shoot with the mouse in one hand, and drive with the wheel with the other-

Do you guys have trouble with the camera?

How do you set it up so it follows the car more directly? instead of lagging behind when you turn, so you have to control it with the mouse??

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  11. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

The same thing made me quite surprised with how much I liked the new setting. And later in the game there are several quality characters that are not hoody gangstas. The previous games Italian mobster style was fun, but not this fun. :lol:

12. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

rockstar has the old school gangsta style down to a T. i have to give them that, and it really does feel like the ghetto. love the old school rap and them crazy characters. tenpenny is pure evil too

rockstar sure has a good sense of humour, take a look at that billboard in case people missed it. i saw it months ago on ps2 too funny
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  13. HardwareHeaven

Funny I noticed that but never paid much attention to it.

Thats a VERY funny thing to include in the game because true crime in many ways was such a poor rip off from the GTA series. :lol:

14. Stop It

Theres a few references to other games like that littered about, like in the OG Loc mission where you have to steal Bigg Doggs rhyme book, you see a Guy poking fun at Driv3r, yet another GTA wannabe in many ways :p

15. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

yep i remember that stop it. ill post a pic of that when i do that mission soon.

the rapper the game makes a small appearance in the game too, that mission where you talk to the dealer who's made some big guy his bitch after getting him hooked on coke. ice-t also plays bigg dogg.

o.g. loc is extremely annoying, i like how they did that. there was a scene where he's in the washroom cleaning up.

"IT'S OG LOC WITH THE GUN IN YOUR FACE"

Guy comes outta the toilet stall:

"Yo'! That shit sucks! Damn!"

he stfu. hillarious

16. Dom

Dom New Member

It's definetly a very good game, but it's really no different from Vice City, as Vice City was no different from 3.--it's just an upgade really--but, yeah I like it A LOT.

17. thegave

thegave -=[DHzer0point Team]=-

zomgz it is incredibly different from 3 and still kinda different from VC. well okay I take your point but all the elements of 3 or even the birds eye GTAs are the most endearing elements of the game and what defines the gta series.
    I mean think about the whole new depth of San Andreas, almost anything you do affects how the game runs. even running around doing nothing affects your character by improving his stamina.
    the whole concept of having to 'train' and feed cj and 'look after' him brings a whole new level of involvement and immersion to this game.

yeah i had to go to lunch so i've lost my train of thought, but that's my two cents on the game. love it absolutely

18. HardwareHeaven

Well I dont think anyone wanted it to be a different style of game, but im a little baffled about the "upgrade" comment - I mean would you class a newer game in the first person shooter genre as an "upgrade" on an older one? I wouldnt. GTA is really its own genre, rockstar started that and can quite comfortably claim it as their own IMO.

I have heard a few people saying "its much the same" in a negative way, but I totally disagree, VIII and Vice City are similar, even with settings, this one is a totally different feel, the settings, characterisations, personal statistics, the maps etc. I was originally baffled by the choice of gangsta setting, but once you play it, I think its wonderful. quite a different feel overall to the last two.

19. Spyro124

Spyro124 New Member

Well what i like about the gta series, is the setting it takes place, with vice city you had some crooked mobster in the '70's and now you have some wannebe ganstah's, which somehow make the game feel completely different to me. Also i like the fact that you can buff your char a bit, which doesn't really add much to the game, but the little touches make it for me.

Also if this game was without the radio channels, it would probably make it alot more dull.

And the characters in this one are funny. The mission where you team up with the blind chinese dude is pretty hillarious.

20. Dom

Dom New Member

It's the samething as GTA 3 and VC, in my opinion, just newer vehicles. If it were anything else it would be called GTA 4, same with VC, if VC were different from GTA 3 it would of been called GTA 4. Don't get me wrong, I really like the game a lot, it's a hoot, but in its essence, I see it as a redone GTA 3. It's some what like the Sims, EA released the game then came out with Makin' Magic, Vacation, and all the other titles. Yeah, they're different from the original in that new characters and objects were added, but it's the same game with the same concept.