SAPPHIRE Goes GREEN!

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Jul 8, 2009.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

SAPPHIRE Technology, the leading manufacturer and world-wide supplier of AMD/ATI based graphics products is aware of the increasing awareness of the impact of excess packaging on the environment, and has an ongoing programme to play its part in conservation. In another industry first for SAPPHIRE, the company is now introducing paper pulp trays as the inner packaging for graphics cards.

SAPPHIRE already offers its customers the option of ‘Lite Retail’ packaging – in which cards are shipped in a smaller display box with a basic bundle of essential cables and driver disc. This smaller size and weight reduces shipping costs for the customer and material waste both in manufacture and for the end user.

Outer boxes for SAPPHIRE products already use environmentally friendly inks and are completely recyclable. Now SAPPHIRE is introducing a new type of inner packaging for many of its mainstream models and looking to roll it out across the range.

In another industry first for SAPPHIRE, the company is introducing paper pulp trays. These are made from recycled paper materials and are further recyclable. Most of SAPPHIRE’s graphics cards have previously shipped with an inner cardboard box - which in some cases have multiple folds and cut-outs to retain the cards and accessories. Now many of these can be replaced with the pulp tray which is moulded to hold the components safely during shipping. Work is ongoing to further develop this method and apply it to even the heavier models which currently ship in plastic carriers or foam packaging.

SAPPHIRE is committed to being environmentally friendly, and where existing package designs cannot be replaced by the new method, the company is specifying recycled materials wherever possible.

2. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

bet I'm not the only one who fell for that headline... :bleh:

3. Kizo

Kizo HHs Valve fanatic

Oh yes, you are !! :p

Kidding :)

4. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Erm doesn't the box contain a power hungry, heat producing, planet destroying graphics card? I mean really...it's a box, if it bothers you that much put it in the recycling bin or turn off a lightbulb for 24 hours LOL.

dawgXdenta likes this.
  5. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

You absolute b******d - I fell for that one completely!!:D

6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i thought they were talking nvidia green..... lmao

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

:uhoh:

I think that about sums it up man !!

8. niceguyrichy

Jesus H
    where were you while the rest of us were listening to the 'every little helps' seminar ? :confused:

anyway, I followed your lead.
    just after I read your post my fiancee came into the room and switched the electric fire on! in the middle of summer!
    and when I remonstrated she told me to shut up, and said she didn't give a 'rats ass' about the planet!!
    so I clubbed her round the head with a table leg (from a renewable wood source) , and plan to slowly cut her up and burn her , should get at least a weeks' cooking out of her :)

oh yeah, and I turned out a light I thought we could probably do without ;)

Mac Daddy likes this.
  9. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

10. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

You really should cook (using that same table leg, which not only is a renewable source, like you said, but wil also destroy the evidence ;) ) and eat her...if you do that, you will be sparing some poor cow or pig from being exploited by us evil humans, and PETA would commend you. :D:D:D

11. niceguyrichy

nope, cattle produce vast amounts of methane, I gotta eat as much cow as I can. I'm thinking of the enviroment here you know ;)

12. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

wheres cow at? lol

13. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

its good to see that DH members will have something to laugh about as the sea levels rise to our ankles while we type away X)

14. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

werd. I was expecting an Nvidia thing.

15. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

BIG mistake!!!! eating cow would drastically increase methane levels in the atmosphere to a such a level that his rep count would go down in forums he is yet to sign into, it would also raise sea levels by @ least 20feet.

Thats coz cow 1% lean meat and 99% flatulence, thats 99% flatulence that thanks to cow has now become yours :D

16. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Whats next?

Seasick man goes green!

17. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

See the great news about this is that I live in the most central part of the US. If the sea levels rise that much that I have to finish building my gigantic boat of sorts (its been a hobby of mine ever since I had a strange run in with a bush that was on fire :rofl:) we have bigger problems. Not to mention I never liked New Orleans, NY or Tampa very much anyway so I will continue to laugh. :sleep: