SAPPHIRE HD 6850 gets 2GB frame buffer

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by MIG-31, Nov 24, 2011.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Read Full Story Here.

Meeting the increasing demands of the latest games and applications, world leading graphics card supplier, SAPPHIRE Technology has just introduced a new model of the SAPPHIRE HD 6850 with an enhanced frame buffer memory of 2GB.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

how bout they start slapping 4gb of vram on these cards as now that higher resolutions are being used ...... such as 2160p which is not starting to jam it's ass into some homes.... and crazier still will be when people eyefinity those up...... we are running out of vram to run those resolutions...

Hell just skyrim alone after textures and such are updated to modern requirements are killing the frame rate on cards running with anything 1gb or less... some people have managed to fill them 2gb and 3gb cards right full.

3. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Actuually Skyrim is suffering because the game caps RAM at 2GB and CPUs at 2 cores and doesn't pass as much work to the GPU as it should. The game is running on a modified version of the engine the powers Oblivion and is poorly coded for 64bit systems which seems to be where most of the issues are coming from.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I seriously seriously doubt there are that many people running games at 2160p. Even among HH members.

I don't see the point of putting 2 or of course 4 GB on a 6850. Not powerful enough to do that much with it.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I agree with BlueMak. I'm not sure how much good the extra RAM is doing to the 6900 cards, even though 2GB is the "standard issue" for them (though it certainly doesn't hurt either).

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Fire up a bunch of 4096x4096 and higher resolution textures, run the game at 3x 1080p or more (you'd be surprised how many people are running really large resolutions) and then watch your vram disappear into nothingness instantly.

I know that with 2gb vram, i can using a 6950 2gb version and using msi afterburner to show the vram usage, you can most definitely fill up the vram quick resulting in killing your FPS the moment you want to try and add a few levels of FSAA into the mix.

Even running stock ultra in skyrim, the vram fills up to about 640~>890MB without much for settings @ 1080p.

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

There is NO WAY that there are that many people using 6850 and run or plan to run 3x1080p resolutions. Which even if they did with 6850s with 2 or 4GB of ram, would still crawl (depending on the game of course) at such high resolutions.

The 6850 no matter how much I like it, was not built to run demanding games at so high resolutions and details, no matter how much ram they get.

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

There might be something to be said for a 2GB 6850 if you want to keep it for a long time or go for some crossfire eyefinity action. Not 4GB, though - if you were considering a hypothetical 4GB 6850, you'd almost certainly do better with a (probably cheaper) 2GB 6950. Because as Bluemak says, the 6850's not going to keep up when >2GB of VRAM is used anyway.