Sapphire Radeon 9250 256 Mb AGP 8x 333 MHz (powered by ATI)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Boondock Zaint, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Boondock Zaint

Boondock Zaint New Member

Hello all! I am new here and if this particular card has been discussed before, I truly apologize for the re-hash. I know that this card is a relic, but I am operating on an old, yet fairly stable machine and money isn't exactly falling from the sky! What I am trying to do is to flash the BIOS of this archaic device to try and breathe some new life into it. Every where I have searched, it seems that a BIOS upgrade is non-existent for this card. If anyone knows where to find one or if another BIOS will work, please let me know! Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

your likely not going to squeeze anything more out of it.. it is the top of the line R250 series GPU and there simply no breathing room left over.

the best drivers you can install is ATI catalyst 6.11's ..if the 6.11's don't work, the 6.5's or lower will.

update your motherboard chipset drivers if possible and that's about all i can recommend unfortuneatly...

3. Boondock Zaint

Thanks Judas. Well, I did the motherboard BIOS upgrade so unless I get a new card, this is all I can hope for. Thanks again!

4. Judas

sorry for the "not so great news"

I know you can pick up some DIRT CHEAP AGP ATI radeon 9500's and so forth on ebay... that would be a possibly solution that would extend the life of your machine. a 9500 would perform CONSIDERABLY better.

I do not recommend getting anything beyond a x1650 AGP card just a fyi if you come across anything of the sort for a good dollar.... but i know some x1650's are selling for as cheap as 30 bucks or less now.

5. Boondock Zaint

Cool man. Thanks for the info! I will definitely keep my eyes open for a good deal.

6. Boondock Zaint

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  7. Judas

should be good.. just make sure your Power Supply in your computer has at least 28-32AMPs on the 12v rail (it'll list 12v followed by either a chart for the amperage on that rail, which can be found on the Power Supply in the computer.. usually on the side or top)

Reason i suggest this is because the x1650 uses usually either a floppy 4 pin power connector or a standard 4 pin molex (hardrive/cd-rom drive) connector.

Course you may have nothing to worry about reguardless as they just genereally work very well out of the box.

And about the DVI... the package usually includes a SINGLE DVI-VGA adapter... so unless you have 2 VGA monitors only, you'll need to only get 1 more. (your 9250 may have come with one anyways though)

8. Boondock Zaint

Thanks Judas. I'll check it out.

9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

10. Boondock Zaint

The biggest reason I thought I needed a BIOS upgrade was because when I would watch video (streaming or loaded locally) it would seem to hiccup. What I mean is that it would studder every 3-4 seconds or so as it played. I also noticed that the studder would occur simultaneously as the HDD light on the front of the tower would come on. I downloaded the latest drivers and it seems to have helped. I still get the effect sometimes when streaming, but I find that if I pause the video and wait for the full buffer, it plays pretty smoothly. Thanks.