SATA and IDE harddrive conflict?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by g35x, Apr 27, 2008.

1. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

so, here I am sitting here at a LAN party, trying to solve this problem.
    I bought a 500gb WD IDE drive for $50 from one of the people sitting near me, hooked it up and when I booted, I found that it took longer than usual to detect the harddrives.when this finally finished, I pressed F9 in my bios to select the boot device, selected my main drive (160gb WD SATA drive) and it said "unable to boot, to continue, enter a bootable operating system disc" or something along those lines.

to avoid the problem, I unhooked the IDE ribbon cable, turned my computer on, it booted as normal, once I got into windows I connected the IDE ribbon cable, went to control panel, went to add hardware and selected the drive. I then formatted it (previous owner had a windows install and etc on there, I am only going to use it for storage) and it worked fine, copied a bunch of files over to it, installed some things to it, worked wonderfully for the next day (msot of today) however, about 5 minutes ago somone tripped over my power cable and unplugged it, so I had to restart, and it still did the same slow booting with the same error when I tried to boot.

my friend sitting next to me says you can't have an SATA and IDE harddrive installed in the same system because they will conflict with each other, however I thought I recalled somone having a SATA main drive with a bunch of IDE drives for storage

any solution to this problem?

tl;dr: is it possible to have an SATA drive and an IDE drive in the same system, if so, how?

2. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

I have a similar set up:

1 SATA drive, and then a IDE ribbon with a hard drive and a CD drive. Works fine.

Check the jumpers. Make sure the boot is on master, and the new one is one slave. I'm guessing it's on cable select right now, as that happened to me when i first set my hard drives up. Same slow boot and everything.

If it still persist, as mine did, keep the jumper for the main drive to master, and then totally get rid of the jumper on the new one. That's how I fixed mine.

g35x likes this.
  3. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try next time I have to reboot

edit: worked like a charm, everything booted perfectly, thank you for the help!
    now, back to the 4am game of supreme commander :p
    (last day of the lan)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  4. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

No problem. Have fun!

5. kkaschke

kkaschke New Member

IDE Jumper

So, let me make sure I understand. I just got a SATA HD and want that to be my boot drive. I have an IDE that I now want to be the secondary. SATA doesn't use jumper settings to indicate master and slave. So I need to set the jumper on the IDE to master? Is that correct?

6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

try setting the IDE drive to slave

7. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

I have been just taking the jumper off completely.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

odd

most of all motherboards that have ide and sata usually have independant controllers for both..

course that's depending on the age of the board to.

either way, i've never seen this happen before...

9. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

first of all, it's not a good idea to plug in the flat IDE cables (or anything for that matter, as long as it's not a USB flash drive) on to a running motherboard, even worse if the OS has loaded, the IDE standard wasn't intended to be a "plug and play" standard. if you did this in Win98, or in XP, the OS would probably freeze (probably... i haven't tried it, and i don't want to).

secondly, there should be no confilct between the two hard drivers, the newer BIOS versions on most of the newer motherboards have a first, second, third and fourth boot device option. set the first boot divce to HDD (or Hard Disc, whatever the setting says), the second to CD-ROM (SATA CD-ROM, CD-RW, SATA DVD-RW... whatever the setting under your bios is). then, then there should be a second setting, a hard disk boot priority setting. if your BIOS has that setting (if its a newer motherboard, i'm shure it does), set your SATA HDD as the first in boot priority hard disk drive, and the IDE HDD as the second (or third, some BIOSes even have a third boot priority HDD option) HDD in boot prority, exit the BIOS (don't forget to save changes to the BIOS), and turn off. unplug the power cable form the PC, leave it like that for about 10 seconds (so the capacitors can charge out) and replug the cable back in the power supply. see if that works and post again ;).

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

in 2000/xp/vista.. while it's not intended to work that way.... the best method is to aways plug in the IDE cable FIRST before plugging in the power for the hd......

while it's not recommended...... it could potentially cause major problems... generally it won't be a big issue.

i've had to do that several times

11. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

you can also try resetting the BIOS EPROM, there should be a jumper on the motherboard for that, to turn it back to it's original settings, most of the newer boards have a setting to boot from a SATA HDD first, and if that fails, try booting form a IDE HDD... not a bad idea to try, i had a similar problem, except this was with two IDE HDDs. reseted the BIOS EPROM, the HDD on whcih was the OS installed booted up first, then restarted, set up the BIOS just the way i like it, saved the settings and there was no problem, the first HDD booted up first.