SATA trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by The375Boy, Mar 11, 2007.

1. The375Boy

The375Boy New Member

ok so i went out and decided to get a new SATA 160 gig WD ... right out of the box windows doesnt see it... i cleaned the connections to the mobo since they have never been used... and still nothing i have the 4 prong power and the sata cable that comes with it both on and their secure... still nothing... am i missing something?

2. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I take it it's a second HD, not the main? Well, if it's detected in the bios (it should), you have to tell windows to add it.

Go in control panel and adminitrsative tools, computer management then disk management. Here, say add partition (you should see a blank partition anyways) and voilĂ !!!

3. The375Boy

The375Boy New Member

No sir... i went into disk management and nothing it shows my primary. my secondary... and my 2 cdrom drives... nothing else... now the SATA harddrive is running... the drive warm

4. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Hmmm wierd... How about via the BIOS, does it detect it there? You might have to tell the system BIOS to reconfigure for SATA drives if ever, I know I had to.

5. The375Boy

The375Boy New Member

yeah... i went into my bios and to be honest i looked at all the settings and i dont know where to configure the SATA at... i have the ports i just cant seem to find it!

6. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem like that with SATA drives on any mobo. I've never had to tell Windows to add them, they are automatically detected and added.

7. mike2h

mike2h New Member

if u havent already, use the installation disk that came with it. if oem, download from manafacturer. then run format/partition from prog & u should be fine. also try another sata port & make sure sata is enabled in bios. is the sata native to your chipset? if not u will need to load drivers for it.

8. The375Boy

The375Boy New Member

i cant find anything that is disabled in my bios regaurding my SATA drives... however i cant find much at all for my sata drives... i dont know if their native to my chipset i dont know how to look into that... however the disk that came with the HDD doesnt even see the drive. it basicly says " the only drive visable is the one that already has windows installed onto it"

9. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

Not familiar with the board at all but is there an option to enable the Fasttrak controller in the BIOS..
    Then you need to make sure that the drivers are actually installed for the controller. Otherwise, the drive won't exist to windows, because it has no way of talking to it.
    Finally, you need to go into Control Panel-> Administative tools-> Computer management->Disk management
    Partition and format the drive.
    If this doesn't work, you may want to find the jumper to force it to SATA 150 mode... If your drive is SATA II, and does not correctly regulate the connection speed, it will essentially fail to communicate

Also an interesting read about BIOS issues here: http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=15&threadid=72482 fourth post down.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  10. mike2h

mike2h New Member

11. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

I had the same problem with a MAXTOR 300G SATA II drive, and at first I thought it was DOA. I finally looked at the manuel a bit closer, and found the same info as mike2h.

Quite a few VIA chipsets will not recognise SATA II HDDs, and you have to jumper them to run at SATA I.

12. mike2h

mike2h New Member

there u have it. if that fix doesnt work pls let us know. &pls stay away from via chipsets in the future;)

13. The375Boy

The375Boy New Member

the fasttrack controller sees it... my bios sees it... windows does not ... i made it so my sata drive booted... then the cd that came with it worked... i formated or partitioned it for NTFS... still windows does not see it um... yeah i'm now lost

14. mike2h

mike2h New Member

since you r using fastrqack did u install the drivers for it?

15. The375Boy

The375Boy New Member

see "promise" ( the first part) doesnt seem to pick it up... but "fasttrack" ( second part raid i soppose) does... all it wants to do is setup an array bios sees it under. i'm guessing i have the fasttrack installed i mean its picking it up...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  16. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

Is the controller showing up in device manager? You may have to install the drivers. Also look into getting a jumper installed for the 1.5 GBps on that drive if it is SATAII

17. The375Boy

The375Boy New Member

i brought the drive down to SATA 150 ( jumper on pin 5 and 6 ), installed my FastTrak 376/378 Driver. Still windows does not see the drive does anyone have this Mobo? its really getting on my nerves

18. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

OK. as I understand it, your BIOS sees the drive but Widows doesn't, and it set to SATA I.

At this point you STILL need to run the software that you got with the drive. That drive isn't formatted yet, and Windows won't see it until it's partitioned and formatted.

19. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

Does it show up in (click) "Control Panel" then "Administrative Tools" then "Computer Management" then "Storage" then "Disk Management" ? If so then you can right click and format it there.

20. The375Boy

The375Boy New Member

no disk management does not see it.