Say goodbye to Blockbuster

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: News Blog (News.com)
    ________
    It looks like the bottom has finally fallen out of Blockbuster. After numerous failed attempts at attracting new customers, the company is finally spiraling out of control.

Sad as it is, the end is near for Blockbuster, and all that pressure it has been placing on Netflix will be lifted.

And in the end, Netflix will be left standing to fight another day.

2. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

well it's like moviegallery they file chapter 11 not too long ago close 100 stores thankfully they didn't close one in my town it's only one left lol

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Yeah Robert my movie gallery is gone, but the closest blockbuster for me is across town. The two places I can rent is at some drug store, and a family video 7 miles away. I'm a Netflix subscriber but it is nice to be able to pick up something on the fly. I hope Netflix doesn't decide to increase their rates if they do go totally under (which I doubt).

4. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

Doesn't netflix have some sort of download and watch system? That's pretty convenient. And your cable company always has on demand movies.

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Blockbuster used to always hassle me about my age when renting "Rated R" movies. I was 18 and showed ID but the employees were usually so stupid they couldn't do the math to see that. One time the chick nearly convinced me I was wrong about my age because she was so forceful about it...I won't miss them.

6. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

They do have a download service that you can watch 1 hour for every $1 of your monthly bill. I think we pay $15 or so for 2 movies out at a time so I can watch 15 hours of movies!

The bad thing is that there are a lot of older movies and not that many new ones... The quality is ok but just not that many good movies to watch....

7. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

in the 15yrs. i've been living here, the closest block buster to me is in the next city west of me 15min. away. that's simply too far away. a few years ago a Hollywood Video opened up down the street from where i live, which is much more convinient for me.

as for netflix, i don't think i'll become a member simply because i don't want to wait several days for me to get a movie, nor do i want to wait around to download one either.

8. Guyver2K5

Guyver2K5 Don't make me hungry.

oh well, never stepped foot in a blockbuster b4:p

9. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

I used to do gamefly and from what I understand they're practically the same service (same parent company?) as netflix. After a few months of responsible gamefly-ing, they upgraded my account to where they'd trust me. I just went to the website and said I mailed the game back and they'd send the next one out to me without waiting to receive the old one. Anyone with netflix have the same thing going? It let me squeeze another round trip of games in every month since it halves the downtime.

10. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

but that won't apply to PC games though would it? only console games since they're played off directly from the disk.

11. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

Just a sign of the times.

Digital Distribution ftw.