SB Z and Windows 7 installation.

Discussion in 'PAX Download - Z/ZX/ZXR' started by Lael Traylor, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Lael Traylor

Lael Traylor New Member

Hello all

I am a first time user of PAX drivers and hoping it can fix the crackling and popping I get after a few months use. When I re-install official drivers all is well for a random time frame and then the popping and crackling returns.

What I need to know is how to install the PAX drivers AFTER I have installed the official ones. W7 seems to have been over looked but it also seems possible to just update the drivers from the PAX folder for both the SB audio controller and SB z devices in device manager.

What I am thinking is correct:

Select device in manager and "update from list" and the choose "have disk" for both devices and select the ONLY option available in that folder (Downlaods folder.....PAX\Audio\program files\Creative\Sound Blaster Z-Series\Program\Driver) which is "ctHda"

I presume I do this for both devices in Windows 7 and then that is it right?

2. dDamu

dDamu New Member

That actually seems to be how Robert recommends doing it: install the official drivers first then use "update drivers" for his drivers, just as you described. The only thing you didn't cover is that you have to turn off driver signing in Windows first, because the PAX drivers are unsigned.

Everything else looks good, or at least that's the way I do it, and I really like the way Robert's drivers sound vs the official. Been using PAX for a few years now over the lifetime of two different soundcards. Unfortunately, for me, problems that occur in the official drivers still happen in Robert's drivers, but it's nothing I'm not willing to live with.