SB0228 better than SB0090?! What?

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by PojeBunny, Feb 19, 2016.

1. PojeBunny

PojeBunny New Member

Some time ago I've digged out my old SB Live! 5.1 (SB0228) and got amazed with how good KxMixer software is and what does it allow me in terms of sound + it was WAY better than Motherboard integrated audio.
    Some time ago one of the teachers in my IT school took out a WHOLE BOX of old Soundblasters for stocktaking. Of course I asked and took the BIGGEST ONE which was Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX.

After mounting it alone I had a feeling that the sound is weaker and somehow a bit dull and boring. I've read on the internet that Audigy cards have a very bad amplifier chip.

Today I've mounted them together and tested both and to my amuse it actually feels like the SB0228 is way better after doing a quick switch test.

Does anyone have any experience with those cards and can tell me that Live! 5.1 could actually be better or is it just me?

+Can you share audio between those cards (input through FxBus 2/3 of 090 -> ASIO -> FxBus 10/11 of 228 -> Mix -> Output) just to connect multiple MICs and have output of one card also available on output of the other.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Could be a bad card... I've used the SB0090 with good success.