sb022x and 6 independent channels?

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by Behaviour, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Behaviour

Behaviour New Member

Hello!
    Firstly: i'm not much experienced in kx drivers and i don't know how to use dsp and other stuff..
    I'm using kx drivers with sb0220 - it have 3 analog outputs, for front, rear and for center/subwoofer. I want to use all of this outputs independent as a 'normal' stereo output (like on front) but i don't know how to separate third output (for center/sub). I think that third output is possible to play with fully stereo sound, cause if i check in mixer 'Toggle Route headphones to Center/Subwoofer mode' then third output plays in stereo but that same sound comes also on rear output (i wanted to use it in asio, and i've selected 8/9 asio output and it plays on sub/center output and also on rear :/ ).
    Is this possible?
    Thanks for any help.

2. Behaviour

Behaviour New Member

Ok. I've learned something about kX DSP/surrounder/epilog and i've connected it in some other way. Now i have 3 independent outputs, but third (center/sub) is only mono (i've connected one 'Center' output from surrounder to Analog Center and Subwoofer and on two channels are same sound in DSP - it isn't stereo but.. ). Anyway stereo on third output will be great!

3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

it is stereo - but if you want to have fully independent outputs

connect fxbus 4/5 to front, fxbus 6/7 to rear, fxbus 8/9 to sub/center and you'll be right

these outpus will correspond with the waveo uts (ie wave 4/5,6/7,8/9)

4. Behaviour

Behaviour New Member

I think that isn't stereo (on third output).. if i set balance example on winamp to left then two speakers plays. On 'factory' settings of DSP and 5.1 speak mode in surrounder only one channel (right?) plays on third output, i can set 'bass redirection' in surrounder but only bass plays left(?) channel and on right anything is normal. I want to use third output like front/rear - as a normal output for speakers/mixer/anything .. not for 5.1 systems.

Could you give me more details about it? I wrote - i'm not much experienced in kX DSP ;).

5. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Are you a DJ by chance looking to use the soundcards extra outputs for say, I don;'t know the right words... to be able to hear 1 thing in say headphones while something else is playing through the speakers.

I think this is called 'cueing' - but Im not a DJ.

If I am correct in my assumption above - winamp wont do it - you need DJ software that allows for 'cueing'.

If im wrong, please give more details on your goal.

6. Behaviour

Behaviour New Member

You're 'half right' .. i want to connect soundcard to mixer, but i want to use three 'virtually decks' (in mixvibes). That is possible but..
    I know that card is 'officially' 5.1 and that means, the only 4 'normal' stereo speakers + center/subwoofer can be used. But third output can be use also as a 'normal' .. i don't know how to fully separate these outputs to stereo signals.

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

As dj_stick indicated, you want to connect FxBus(4/5), FxBus(6/7), and FxBus(8/9) directly to the outputs that you want to use (on epilog). You would not use Surrounder or xrouting in this config as they are designed for 8 point surround sound.

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

BTW: On your card (with the default routing):
    FxBus(4/5) would be the 5th/6th output on FxBus. Connect directly to Front inputs of epilog.
    FxBus(6/7) would be the 7th/8th output on FxBus. Connect directly to Rear inputs of epilog.
    FxBus(8/9) would be the 9th/10th output on FxBus. Connect directly to Center/LFE inputs of epilog.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  9. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I am able to accomplish this with using the default DSP setup by simply:

A - set winapms output-Directsound plugin to use the [b800] channels 8/9

Set up surrounder to 5.1 direct path preset and hook up analog speakers to the #3 output.

Panning works as it should and sounds fine. (A2ZS Plat)

10. Behaviour

Behaviour New Member

Thanks, that works and i have three full stereo independent outputs lol. :)
    I think that should be work cause AFAIK A2ZS is declared as 6ch card, not like sblive (10k1) - 5.1 ch.

11. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Nope, I did more investigating and If I use those outputs through surrounder - it works, but its only mono - so I suspect the surrounder is converting that to mono - which makes sens because both the center and woofer are mono individually.

12. Behaviour

Behaviour New Member

It's again me;)
    Would to know.
    If i have set these 6 independent outputs how must i connect in routing RecL and RecR?
    I'm connecting two outputs (e.g. 4 and 5) to RecL and RecR to epilog but if i want to record in any program only one channel (right) is recording.

13. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

To tell you the truth, MME recording with epilog is strange (at least it seems that way to me, maybe it is a bug with my sound card, but I cannot get it to work the way I would expect it to, much of the time).

I think your best bet is to use the ProFx "kxlt" plugin (instead of epilog) for MME recording (as it does act like I expect it to).
    i.e. (with kxlt)
    Connect FxBus(4/5) to Analog Front Out.
    Connect FxBus(6/7) to Analog Rear Out.
    Connect FxBus(8/9) to Analog Center/LFE Out.
    Then connect whichever source you want to record to WinMME Recording (of kxlt).

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

BTW: After playing around with it a bit, I noticed that if you connect something else in between the source and RecL/RecR it will work like it should. I guess it does not like being directly connected to the FxBus.

15. Behaviour

Behaviour New Member

Big thanx Ross! This works very fine.

16. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I am glad I could help. :)

17. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

>> I guess it does not like being directly connected to the FxBus

exactly
    e.