Screeching/popping with 1.30

Discussion in 'PAX Download - Auzentech Series' started by Ecky, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Ecky

Ecky New Member

I recently reformatted and decided to try the Pax drivers on my Forte, previously I had been using the stock drivers. Everything was fine for a few days, but it seems I now have intermittent loud popping and screeching coming from my sound card. It seems to happen only when I have sound playing (with no pattern I've recognized so far), and it comes out over both the amplified and non-amplified jacks. It isn't affected by changing my volume in Windows (loudness stays the same). The screeching seems to happen on and off for a few seconds/minutes and then goes away.

I tried reinstalling the drivers and had the corruption again a day later.

I've been using entertainment mode, with the crystalizer enabled and set to 30%. I have 5.1 selected but in Windows I have disabled the rear pair. These are the same settings I used with the stock drivers.

Any ideas? Anything I can check? I'm probably going to try 1.35 drivers, but I'm not sure what has changed...

EDIT: Also, headphone detection doesn't seem to work on the amplified jack. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. Franpa

Franpa New Member

I had this happen to me with my Creative Xfi Extreme Gamer sound card 2 to 4 years ago D: it ultimately resulted in my not wanting to use the sound card anymore so I figured Creative is shit since they only offer 1 year warranty! (The card was no longer covered, also the whole debacle about supporting Windows Vista when that O/S was released left a poor impression of them with me...)

So I decided to try an Auzentech product as they use the same tech (XFI chip) and offer a longer warranty so I bought a Auzentech XFI Forte soudcard and it worked great, until a few months before warranty (A few months ago).

The Auzentech card also started to deliver random static/extremely loud squealing at random moments and a reboot usually fixed it so I just ignored it... but eventually It got to the point where the card no longer amplified audio (A common issue reported on the Auzentech forum about this card). Any audio played back would play back extremely quietly and require excessive amplification from an external amplifier to even hear it.

Anyways I RMA'd my soundcard (a few months before the warranty expired) and sent it off to Auzentech and... they sent it back and its been working fine so far :) so Auzentech, although there product is prone to failure, offer a more appropriate warranty and actually DO something about it when your product does fail, and the entire RMA process was very easy to sort out.

Edit: The point of all this rambling is that your soundcard may have started to show signs of a defective component and needs to be RMA'd.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. Ecky

Ecky New Member

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but you're probably right. I tried in a different PCI-E slot and also with the stock drivers and have had the same issue. Unfortunately I think the warranty is only 1 year, and I've had the card since 2009. What are my options? Do you know offhand if Auzentech offers repair services?

I sent them an email with basically the above information, waiting on a response.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  4. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

I would drop Auzentech get Titanium champ card no issue ;)

5. Ecky

Ecky New Member

As much as I'd like to get one, I'm very budget constrained.

It seems like in the past week my card has taken a turn for the worse, it's basically unusable now. I'm using the coax port to output to my Logitech Z5500's but I have to leave DTS Connect/DDLive disabled because I get the horrible screeching and popping over digital if I have those on. It seems like a better option than using onboard audio.

I sent Auzentech a support email about 10 days ago and they haven't responded yet, sent them another just a little while ago. I wonder if they'll respond at all?

6. Robert McClelland

Your welcome try new v1.35 test sets I release of auzentech sets. Much updated tweaks.

7. Ecky

Ecky New Member

I installed 1.35's but the problem remains, I'm fairly sure my card is dead. =/

Thanks for your help though.

8. Robert McClelland

Grab the Titanium Champ card if you can find it.

9. Franpa

Franpa New Member

I would recommend any sound card that uses PCI Express as Motherboards are phasing out support for PCI. I'm currently facing the problem of not being able to use my soundcard if I upgrade my Motherboard.