Seeking input on Eq'in headphones

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chester01, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

Hey, I am looking for some feedback on my purposed method to eq my headphones (JVC HA-FX34, CHEAP but probably the best construction I have seen in a while, the cord (where I usually have issues) is tough)... I was thinking of doing something similar to this site: Equal loudness contours and audiometry - Test your own hearing however I am debating about the method of testing. I am considering playing a 1khz tone in right ear, then using that volume to find the difference in percieved volume in the left ear (pausing the 1khz tone between tests to prevent fatigue, however it may work to run the 1khz tone and the other tone in the same ear... Thoughts, comments, tips, suggestions are more than welcome :) Thanks for your input!

2. Doug W

Doug W Active Member

Chester01,

I looked at the website and determined that the writer is far smarter than I am. I will have to read it several times to get it straight. But on another subject, Beatles Night will be happening this year in Montevideo sometime in October. Make sure you reserve time for it.

Doug W

3. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

hah, well basically, it is using a 1khz tone as a reference 'volume'; the ear does not hear equally at all frequencies, if you search the "phons chart" or "iso 2003:226" you can see what I am talking about... for example, at 80 phons (80 db @ 1khz) a 20 hz tone needs to be about 115 db to be perceived (by humans) as the same 'loudness' as the 1khz tone at 80 db.

I want to use a method of comparing the relative intensities of a 1khz tone to various other tones to create a 'phons chart' for my headphones (specificially for my model)... It would likely be something similar to the phons chart but with variations where the headphones differ from... so I would probably use two tone generators, and then a gain hq with the channels unlocked to vary the intensity on the 'other frequency'. Then record the gain for the other frequency, then start over (with a different frequency).

I am trying to figure out the best method to compare the tones, taking psychoacoustics into account.

EDIT: well see about Beatles night, I do have school :p