Serpentine Belt "Chirps" when Driving

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by CDsDontBurn, Mar 20, 2013.

1. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

I have and both spun freely. Not sure what exactly I was supposed to look for outside of them spinning freely.

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

when you replace them assuming you have the time, just revolve the pulleys and listen or feel for bit of noise, etc.

is this bugger that is making the noise?

[​IMG]

3. CDsDontBurn

Will do. One thing I did do yesterday was try and rock the idler pulley side to side as was done in the 2nd video I posted, and it indeed rocked side to side as described in the video. The commentator stated that if that happens, the pulley is bad and needs to be replaced.

And yes, that is the idler pulley. Apparently the idler pulley and tensioner pulley are the same one, but the tensioner pulley is of course mounted to a spring loaded mechanism which is what provides the tension to the belt. I did order the pulley and the tensioner pulley (spring loaded mechanism and all).

Today I got the top radiator hose in and the tensioner pulley. I also stopped by an auto parts store to pick up other misc stuff like an air filter, coolant, MAF cleaner, and engine degreaser. I'm still waiting on the other parts like the lower radiator hose, hood struts, and thermostat. They will hopefully be coming in tomorrow.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm late to the game here, but, just as soon as I started reading your OP, I immediately was going to respond with a "tensioner pulley!" I've been down this road all too often myself.

So, seeing that you're about to replace it, let's see if my first impression is correct.

Good luck!

5. CDsDontBurn

Thanks! :)

6. CDsDontBurn

Thermostat O-Ring and lower radiator hose have come in already. Just waiting on the idler pulley now for me to be able to do this work.

7. CDsDontBurn

After doing this work, the T-Bird seems much more responsive! Not sure which of the fixes I did, Intake filter, MAF cleaning, or pulleys, were the ones that made it feel more responsive. All I know is that acceleration is slightly more "peppy". :) The first things I replaced were the hood struts. Now, the hood wants to stay open! Oh, and now the CEL I had is off. Kinda expected since I removed the battery, but it has remained off. Though, I've only driven 35 miles since doing the job, so I'm not sure if that has been enough time for the CEL to come back on if it's supposed to come back on.

So glad I got that done, and it was a real cheap and easy fix too! And here are some pics I took.

MAF looked rather clean. I sprayed the crap out of it with MAF cleaner still though on all openings I found.

[​IMG]

The old intake. One corner was even - bottom right in this pic - was even broken off.

[​IMG]

Idler pulley on

[​IMG]

New air filter

[​IMG]

Filling the radiator / reservoir tank with coolant

[​IMG]

Getting all the air out

[​IMG]

One thing though, the car now seems to be running "hotter" than before. Is it possible that the T-Bird doesn't like the 50/50 mix I put in and would rather like a more concentrated 30 water / 70 antifreeze instead?

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I change the air filters twice a year on most of the vehicles.

For the super low cost of a filter.. and the advantages of keeping the air mixture and flow at it's peak... that 4-7 dollars per filter is easily made up in fuel efficiency over the course of a year.

9. CDsDontBurn

Cleaning an air filter is just as effective as buying a new one IMO. That is unless the old filter is just too far gone to be cleaned and still be effective....like the one I just replaced on the T-Bird. :lol:

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

most people make the mistake of cleaning air filter improperly, or in most cases, air filters are rarely made decently enough to take the full impact of being cleaned right without potentially creating pin holes of some sort.

Depending on the conditions you are in... cleaning it is nowhere near as good as a new one anyways.

The conditions out here is full of debree, Specially in the summer and fall where the bug guts and various types of grain dust isn't something you can even wash out let alone blow out.

11. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I replace them.

12. steves6403

steves6403 Active Member

I've recently bought another secondhand car and when I do I have a check list that I follow.

Replace spark and leads
    Flush the brakes with new brake fluid and inspect rotors/pads
    (if you have drum rear brakes when you bleed it may upset the slave cylinders but they wer prob on the way out anywys)
    Flush the power steering with new fluid.
    Change fluid in both motor and trans/gearbox.
    The diff is worth a look aswell.
    Dismantle the entire intake system and clean with carby cleaner.
    If you had a straight six or four replace gaskets or tighten up intake and exaust manifolds.
    If you have a crank angle sensor which runs off harmonic balancer give it good clean as bits of rubber from the belt can end up there and really ruin your day.
    The coil pack remove from its bed and reapply that electrical white stuff.
    All the work you did cd aswell.
    Do a bolt check .
    Check any internet forums for common probs and download the manual

The reason I do all this is the car may have been run into the ground or had a crap mechanic.Unless you know the history of the car then your job is that much easier