Setting up a Secure and Open Wireless Connection on Same Incoming Connection.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Jitter, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Jitter

Jitter Active Member

The owner of my bowling alley asked if I could set up an open connection for patrons on their secured network. I told him that networking was definitely not my strong point. Is this something that can be done easily? I said that I think you need to get a second router and place it in a DMZ zone of the first router, but I do not know how to do this or am not even sure if that is correct? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

The easiest method - which is also user-friendly - would be to use a purpose-built router.
    The Linksys E2000, for example, was designed to have one standard wireless network with full access to the network and its own password and another wireless network that had only Internet access. I don't specifically recommend that router, it's just an example.

3. Jitter

Jitter Active Member

Sounds good.....What would that feature be called exactly where you can set up another network for guests?

4. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

It's called a guest network if memory serves and, unlike a standard wireless network that is setup in the router's interface, the guest network is configured in the software. However, this is router-specific; other routers may have this feature in the standard interface, though it will likely still be called a guest network.