Setup for flight simulator (X-Plane and future msfs 2020) plus Blender modeling

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by arb65912, Feb 25, 2020.

1. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

EDITED: my recent choice

- Phanteks Eclipse P600S PH-EC600PSTG_AG01 Antracite Gray Steel / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    -ASRock X570 CREATOR AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
    -AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 3.8 GHz (4.6 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W 100-100000023BOX Desktop Processor
    -be quiet! DARK ROCK 3 SilentWings CPU Cooler 190W TDP
    -G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory
    -EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11G-P4-6696-KR, 11GB GDDR5X
    -Seasonic PRIME PX-750, 750W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular, Fan Control in Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode

Initial thread below:

Hello,

I have built systems twice few years ago but this time I want to take it easy and buy things one at a time so the fun lasts longer.

I consider myself having very basic computer knowledge and since the process will probably spread into few months period I want to learn as much as I can and I know there is a LOT to learn.
    That is one reason I wanted to make sure I can ask along the way.

I am building my system for Flight Simulator (X-Plane and possibly MSFS 2020 when it comes out), Blender 3D modeling, some video editing and whatever I am interested in.

Here is the plan so far, main components, I will decide on other things later on.

– Phanteks Eclipse P600S PH-EC600PSTG_AG01 Antracite Gray Steel / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

-ASUS Prime Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 Gigabit LAN

-Intel Core i9-9900 Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.1 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W BX80684I99900 Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

-CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMK64GX4M4B3200C16

-Seasonic PRIME PX-1000, 1000W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular, Fan Control in Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode, 12 Year Warranty, Perfect Power Supply for Gaming and High-Performance Systems, SSR-1000PD.

-EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER BLACK GAMING, 08G-P4-3081-KR, 8GB GDDR6

OR – EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DirectX 12 11G-P4-2281-KR 11GB 352-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support BLACK EDITION GAMING Video Card, Dual HDB Fans & RGB LED

Any comments or suggestions?

Cheers, AJ

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Calliers likes this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Very nice layout, only thing I'd change is to go Ryzen instead of Intel. And since it's going to be over time, wait for the latest Ryzen processors.

Also sticking to Nvidia is a good plan, I think your best bet for longevity would be to get the RTX 2080Ti. That should really give your PC some long legs, to last over the years, especially since you plan on playing some games and doing some video editing. Also, going Ryzen should allow you to get a blazing fast M.2 SSD. I'd recommend Samsung for that, failing that Western Digital is a close second. Have a look at the Samsung 970 Pro, that is a mighty fine SSD, comes in flavors up to 1TB, that could be your system drive, and then you could get a more spacious 2TB Samsung M.2 SSD NVME for programs and games.

As for PCI-E 4.0, you can read all about it here on PC World. Keep in mind to take advantage of the lightning fast PCI-E 4.0 (which will more than likely matter for an SSD than an AMD GPU) you would need an AMD X570 chipset. Intel still are behind and all Intel boards out now support PCI-E 3.0 only.

And finally, you gotta get some RGB in your life. :p

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    arb65912 likes this.
  3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

1. If you want to go Intel for CPU, make sure to wait another month or so till the desktop variants of Intel 10 series are out. Then you can get either a latest CPU from them, or a 9 series for hopefully lower price.

2. By June Nvidia will release it's next generation GPUs. I highly suggest to wait till then. If not and the money is not an issue, sure go ahead with the 2080 TI, but unless you plan on playing at 4K resolution, it's a waste of money.

3. I will never buy EVGA products again, but apparently others like them.

4. Going for a 1000W power supply is a waste of money. GPU and CPU have gone way down in power requirements compared to the past. For most systems a 750W is more than enough. Either way, wait till you decide what else you are buying before you consider power supply.

5. If you plan on keeping the system without upgrading it for few years, you would be better off to get a CPU with at least 12 cores, but not that more than that. (by the time you will need the performance of something "larger" there will be cheaper better solutions out there).

6. If you plan on using a video editor which doesn't support gpu acceleration, then you will be better off using an Intel CPU with quicksync. Just be careful, you need an Intel CPU for that, and an Intel CPU with integrated graphics to have quick sync as an option. If you decide to go for an Intel CPU without igpu or for an AMD CPU, make sure to use a video editor which supports the GPU you are going to get. Else you will find yourself hurting the editing performance.

7. If you plan to do video streaming make sure to get Nvidia GPU . NVEC is a great help in both speed and visual quality.

arb65912 and Calliers like this.
  4. Calliers

Not only that, but a power supply that is way too big in it's capacity for the intended system can lead to stability problems. I once many years ago needlessly bought a 1000W PSU for a system that required if even half of that and all I can say is the BSOD was my best friend, at the time, even though all the components were working 100%. @Judas will tell you the same.

I can attest to this, I am not a streamer, but I have streamed before and an Nvidia GPU makes it effortless. Provided you set up your program the correct way. There are guides online for that, or just talk to someone who streams frequently and is savvy with it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    arb65912 and Trusteft like this.
  5. arb65912

Gentlemen, thank you very much for replies! Greatly appreciated.

For me the FUN is not only to put all components together but actually discuss,ask and learn about things as I go.
    This is why I love interaction here and other forums.

Let me "digest" all info you provided here and I will sure reply with unfortunately more questions if you do not mind...

I am already convinced about PSU, I will get 750W

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  6. Calliers

An 850W should be good for a monster like the RTX 2080Ti, also if you'd like to plug in all sorts of SSDs and HDDs and other components into your PC, I run an 850W myself with a RTX 2080.

And bring on the questions, we're happy to be of service. :)

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

This actually looks like a pretty simple and streamlined case that is appealing with only one specific caveat, that you remove the solid front panel from the case, otherwise those front fans may as well not exist let alone any other method of air intake being expected.

I still find asus to be a strong winner for the intel side of things, it should be plenty sufficient for the intel application, but i would highly recommend looking at ryzen since they would be a FAR superior option for your wants/needs going forward in the same budget range, specially going forward compared to intel's 10th gen.

If one is to venture into the Ryzen arena, ensure that you get an x570 board, I've been jumping back and forth and in testing, an AsRock x570 board is certainly more desirable than a x470/b450.

As i was just mentioning above, this processor is arguably over valued and underperforming for it's price point and it's hot and sweaty/power hungry as well. Currently for the price of a 9900 you can often get the ryzen 3700x and even the 3900x, the latter of which is a 12 core 24 thread which will completely dominate in blender/video workloads. Hell even the 3950x may be something you could consider as it's the behemoth 16 core 32 thread which scales incredibly well while still suckling very little power.

Honestly, it doesn't make any sense currently to make any investment into the intel cpus at all, even for gaming because the gaming percentages are so damn slim, that if you were to stick with intel 9900, you'd significantly adversely impact literally everything else you'd be doing.

There are apparently some high density 32gb modules arriving or having arrived, if you could migrate to 2x32GB 3200mhz, that'd be beneficial specially down the road. Corsair is great in Intel systems, I'd however insist on crucial ballistix in a Ryzen build.

Good choice, but perhaps grossly overkill, unless you plan on packing 2 or 3+ gpus into the system, 1000watt is not going to be a benefit. I'd draw the line at around 650watt a minimum for your build even with a 9900 intel cpu, 750watt would be plenty comfortable. But in the end it's your choice.

In terms of nvidia, rarely can go wrong with EVGA.... though in terms of blender and video editing, you might get a hell of a lot more bang for the buck out a Radeon VII, as numerous professionals were even failing or crashing out with the titans where as the radeon VII has been able to consistantly hammer it out while being on par with a 2080. Granted the radeon VII isn't exactly power efficient in the gaming tasks, it's an absolute beast of a pro-sumer card in work applications.

Calliers likes this.
  8. Calliers

And as per your recommendation @Judas Patriot (which I use with my build) and G.Skill are good too, I think Kingston HyperX are good modules as well, but stick to Patriot, Crucial and G.Skill for Ryzen and you should be a happy camper.

@Judas actually helped me out with memory decisions a while ago, I've decided to wait for a decently priced 64GB (32GBx2) kit of RAM then I'm going to pack my PC full of it.

9. arb65912

Hello again and thank you for more replies. :)

I still need time to read and digest all you guys posted.

One more thing happened, I am about to switch to Ryzen.... all of you kind of recommend that, correct?

Actually, I have talked with some X-Plane (flight simulator ) professionals and they say that Ryzen would be a way to go especially for the type of work I do.

I model in Blender and I have simulator running along with Gimp so I can export my work and see it immediately in the simulator.

Having said that it seems that Ryzen would be the winner.

10. Judas

definitely recommend the 3900 or 3950x if if you're running both simultaneously plus more. Short of that, the only place to go from there is into the realms of Threadripper which allows up to 64 cores and 256gb-1TB+ of memory. It's really down to how far you really want to go, but i think for the price you were willing to pay for a 9900, a 3900x would be certainly a good alternative choice. And again, i HIGHLY recommend you go with AsRock x570 board.

11. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I don't, but yes most people do.

Good luck.

12. arb65912

Thank you!

13. Calliers

Yes, ASRock is the way to go, especially if you go Ryzen, that is the brand of my current motherboard, and I can attest to its quality.

14. arb65912

Hello again!!! :)

I have done some reading... wow, what a difference between now and 4 years ago when I was doing my last build, amazing.

Anyway, first steps first. Please take a look below and tell me what do you think, please.

Did not include cooler, storage SSD and GPU, it will come after I decide on the components below (with your expert help of course)

-ASRock X570 CREATOR AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
    -AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 3.8 GHz (4.6 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W 100-100000023BOX Desktop Processor
    -G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-64GVK
    -Seasonic PRIME PX-750, 750W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular, Fan Control in Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode
    - SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S1T0B/AM for OS

15. Calliers

Everything looks good there except two things, one more glaring that the other, that being the RAM. That kit would be better suited to running on an Intel platform, I recommend this kit instead: (and btw speed really matters when you go Ryzen, 3600Mhz if you can, 3200Mhz at least for last gen AMD processors like mine, but your motherboard of choice goes up to 4666Mhz, now the higher the speed of the RAM, the better the processor performance with Ryzen).

- Get at least 4266Mhz DDR4 RAM, keep to either Crucial or Patriot, G.Skill is good but unless it is a kit specially for AMD Ryzen like the Trident NEO, then avoid as most G.Skill kits are specially made for Intel, also AVOID at all costs Corsair RAM for Ryzen, they just don't gel well.
    - Second thing is the SSD, I would recommend the M.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB SSD, it may be a little more pricey but it is well worth it, as a boot drive, and then for your storage SSD a 2TB Samsung EVO Plus M.2

Otherwise everything else looks good.

Edit:

Get this kit if you can, it should be all you need:

- Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 64GB (32GBx2) CL16 BL2K32G36C16U4B

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  16. arb65912

17. Calliers

No worries, questions are good things. Ask away. :)

It actually stands for Unregistered Double Inline Memory Module but here is an explanation of what it is.

"UDIMM (unregistered memory) is a type of memory chip used mostly in desktop and laptop computers. More commonly called unbuffered memory, UDIMMs run faster than RDIMM (registered memory). They cost less, but are not quite as stable as RDIMMs. The DDR memory chips in use today are a type of UDIMM."

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/u/udimm.htm

And yes that would be a perfect buy, they are out of stock most places coz Crucial makes such good memory, especially for Ryzen.

18. arb65912

Thank you very much. I know questions are good things but... they take friendly person's time to answer. ;-)

I found a memory, will go for it.

Last question for today, in my latest specs reply I had:

- SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S1T0B/AM for OS

You recommended to get this:

-M.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB SSD

What is the difference? If I can understand it before reading all stuff on that.... :)

19. Calliers

Samsung Evo Plus 1TB M.2: read/write speeds up to 3,500/3,300MB/s, up to 53% faster than the 970 EVO and 600 TBW
    Sasmsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2: read/write speeds up to 3,500/2,700 MB/s* approximately 30 percent faster than the previous generation, 1,200 TBW**

The difference is that the Samsung Evo Plus 1TB M.2 has half the endurance (Terabytes Written) than the Pro.

You could however go for the Samsung Evo Plus 2TB M.2 as a boot drive and get 1200 TBW with that drive as it doubles from the 1TB model. In fact this would be the best thing as the Evo Plus is actually faster (slightly) than the Pro.

Edit: btw you could get that kit I showed up above, the Crucial one, with RGB too if you wanted to light up your life, it also comes in different colors (like red and blue and so on).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  20. Judas

i would advise not exceeding 3600mhz memory.... beyond that and the IF bus speed and memory go out of sync and you see a performance degradation.

3200mhz is still WELL within a fantastic performance range.. 3600mhz certainly wouldn't be terrible obviously but frankly the costs above 3600mhz aren't justifiable.

Calliers likes this.