Setup for flight simulator (X-Plane and future msfs 2020) plus Blender modeling

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by arb65912, Feb 25, 2020.

1. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

Hello @Judas and all who can help.

I installed the SSD but I do not see it in File Explorer.... what I am doing wrong?

Do I need to go to BIOS and do anything?

2. arb65912

Sorry I figured that one out , I had to make this drive enable d via Disk Management Tool.

Calliers likes this.
  3. arb65912

Hi guys. I do not know but I have noticed that computer just slowed down a lot...... any ideas?

Virus or something?

Please suggest what I supposed to run and check.... I do not like it.... please help.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Well....have you installed anything?
    Have you checked if something is using resources which shouldn't? Open the task manager, do you see higher usage of a component than you should? Which one?

arb65912 likes this.
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

recent windows 10 2004 has been moving out. In every case in which a major windows 10 version launches, it's critical to update drivers AFTER the installation of the update as often times some drivers don't move over.

This includes latest chipset (from amd) and graphics drivers as by far the most critical.

arb65912 likes this.
  6. arb65912

Thank you friends!! Will check it out and try to update.

What drivers do you have in mind? Because there is thousands programs trying to have drivers updated and I do not know if I want that program unless it is a good one.

7. Judas

don't use a driver update tool ever.

just go to amd's website and download the chipset driver and install it for your board

and then go to nvidia's website and do a driver search for your graphics card.

Calliers and arb65912 like this.
  8. arb65912

Thank you Judas!!!!!

Calliers likes this.
  9. arb65912

I did these two steps and things are back to normal! Thank you again! :)

10. Judas

good to hear.

It's not an uncommon thing to see after a major windows update. You probably couldn't comprehend the number of custom call ins i get exclusively due to printers failing to work properly or often at all after a majori windows build version update occurs, luckily it only occurs twice a year, usually march-may and then again sept-november.

11. arb65912

@Judas: I understand that updates are necessary (or maybe not ) but they can be a total pita. Yes, I do believe you totally!.

Now something new..... :D

I admit I haven't been good with keeping up with things, processors, GPUs etc. BUT..... the new year is coming some time in few months.

I am toying with the idea of ....... yes, building another system, call me nuts, nothing wrong with the one I have plus if I sell it I lose more than half of the money invested. :eek:

This time I want to go with blue team. ;) For the sake of the diversity and curiosity.

I would like to ask all my friendly advisors here to post what is going on (yes, without me reading tons of the reviews etc.) as far as Intel based systems.

I am looking for budget around $3000-$4000

Just please enlighten me on what is new , what is hot, what is coming and what is worthy to wait for.
    If I do that it will be around February 2021.

Most of you (especially @Judas) did a great job sharing your thoughts in that thread and I hoping for the same on blue side of things. ;)

Thank you!!!!!

12. Judas

Intel's 11th gen is due to arrive in some flavors potentially some time down the road, however due to their failed 10nm and now worse 7nm, plus their architecture is further proving to be failing them, they have reported some IPC uplifts and VERY aggressive clock/thermal/power controls, but unfortunately it's nowhere near anything amd can offer (beating a dead horse essentially by reissuing the same cpus over and over again with micro changes). I beleive the current 10900k is essentially the king of the hill cpu offered in a standard desktop package, offering you 10 cores and 20 threads with peak single core frequencies hitting 5.1ghz. Though in basically any reviews i've seen, the most cost effective part is the 10600... though it's almost impossible to recommend anything on the blue team at all anymore in any market segment.

Basically you can pick and choose what you already built for the amd ryzen rig you had assembled with only the mainboard and cpu swapped for the intel equivilent available.

I should note that Ryzen 4000 desktop parts are arriving potentially in october or november, we are certain to see Zen 3 match, if not exceed single core performance in every facet compared to intel, and then demonstrably destroy intel in everything else by a far greater margin. Why? Because Zen 3 officially drops the 2x 4 core CCX package that each 8 core chiplet uses, resulting in a true pure 8 core chiplset with zero need for the infinity fabric and extensive cache changes within the core package, this significantly reduces latency and completely resolves the CCX <~> CCX communication lag between different CCX cores. We already see this in the Zen 2 mobile chip essentially (zen 2 4000 series mobile cpus/apus are completely destroying amd's mobility sector, which was basically the last tiny corner intel was able to dominate outright).

Nvidia's pretty much spilled the beans on RTX 3000, we'll see how that goes when the real numbers roll in.

AMD's Navi 2 or Big Navi or RDNA 2 gpus (basically the first ray tracing capable gpu from amd, along with the fact that they are dedicated desktop variants of what are found in the yet to be released consoles)... and so far leaked information about it has placed the top gpu at 80CUs which is frankly insane for it's die size. Keep in mind that a RDNA 1 (Navi 1) AKA RX 5700xt is a 40CU card and amd has some slides that state that the BIG NAVI gpu is capable of roughly 50% better performance per watt compared to rx 5700xt... as well as a fairly big jump in IPC while hitting phenominal clock speeds. Basically the target is for the highest end gpu from amd, is about 38-60% faster than a 2080ti.

Again grains of salt.... or a mountain of it, i'll patiently wait to see.

Either way almost anything and everything due to arrive all seems to mostly target november.

Sorry didn't really deliver much for recommendations for intel, but if i were to suggest anything, it'd be to stick with Asus for the intel based Motherboard and NOT asrock. (Asrock + Ryzen = good, Asus + Intel = good)

13. arb65912

@Judas: I knew I could count on you :D Thank you very much!!!!

I will still read on things of course but you just gave me heads on what to read about.

RTX 3000 sounds great and I need to figure out these AMD GPUS you mentioned.

Maybe instead of building another system I will just go for a new GPU???? Time will tell.

Thank you again @Judas!!!

14. Judas

the more i've dug into the 11th gen intel.. looks like the next interation (11xxx series) will have a maximum of 8 core and 16 threads unlike the 10900k which is 10 core 20 threads as i mentioned. Intel's definitely in trouble in the desktop space and highend desktop space and server/workstation arenas not to mention mobile... again as i said.

In your situation your machine is going to eat flight simulator alive, specially if you decide to just throw a new gpu at it. The only thing though we are waiting on is DX12 mode in MFS2020. Once microsoft gets full DX12 functionality turned on, expect to see frame rates and other smooth transitions rise considerably even with what you have now. Currently the dx11 api mode is simply being used for stability and backward compatibility reasons alone, much like a lot of games and apps being made today they aren't often true vulkan/dx12 out of the box exclusively.

Microsoft at one point demonstrated mGPU dx12 explicit mode which allows basically multiple graphics cards to be jammed into the same system and then leverage all the power they can provide without having to rely on obsolete crossfire/SLI. You could essentially pair a AMD gpu with an nvidia gpu and gain the benefits of both so to speak.

But we'll just have to wait for october/november to see what actually transpires. Oh and you'll be able to upgrade your CPU if you wish as the zen 3 cpus will function in 400 and 500 series boards just fine (though most benefits will come with 500 series boards), so if you want more horse power and substantial single core improvements as well, that's always a tabled option if one can justify the cost (made easier if you get a good sale price on your existing cpu). Of course this is only if you want to.

15. arb65912

@Judas: thank you again for more comments. :)

Hmm, so maybe going with Intel is not so good idea if I do build next system but it will be at least few months so we will see what comes up.

I think this is the way I will go, I update GPU and down the road I will upgrade CPU, changing mobo, I do not know, depending on benefits, it will be time to discuss that.

Do you mean MS demonstrated mGPU dx12 explicit mode for MSFS2020?

The idea of pairing different manufacturer GPUs sounds great!!!! :D

16. Judas

Yes, microsoft or rather some beta testers perhaps, can't really say which it was, are testing directx12 mode with MSFS2020, the game was apparently supposed to launch with it, but unfortunately it's still in the testing phase, likely will be rolled out when the xbox series x finally launches as it'll most certainly utilize a low level api basically being directx 12.

microsoft has been trying to bake into the directx12 api unhindered mGPU functionality, explicit mgpu would allow any number of different cards to be fully utilized.

though i think it'd be wisest to try and keep the same family type of gpus together. We'll have to see what happens, all i know is multiple displays with multiple gpus running well beyond 8k resolution is very possible.

17. arb65912

@Judas: it is all really exciting but as you said probably better to keep the same families of GPU working together.

It seems that end of the ear will be exciting to see all these new things.

I am sure I will have new questions then . :D

18. arb65912

01.jpg We release Saturday. Not too bad.
    @Judas and @Calliers
    I am posting as the whole thread was about PC for simulator. :)

Calliers likes this.
  19. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Now that looks cool... :D

arb65912 likes this.
  20. Judas

i'm really waiting for dynamic texturing in games with procedural foliage, it'll make these kind of games truly more life like when all the flat surfaces are no longer so similar and well, barren.

Even the runway it look quite different across the surface within reason without being so obviously precise and perfect.