Setup for flight simulator (X-Plane and future msfs 2020) plus Blender modeling

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by arb65912, Feb 25, 2020.

1. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

@Judas: hello again and asking for advice. @Calliers : also if you feel like chipping in. :)

Well, it is end of the year .

1. IF I wanted to keep my motherboard and upgrade CPU , what would you suggest?

2. IF I wanted to wait a bit when they become available what GPU would you recommend?

I am sorry for asking the same things over and over but time goes and I know that options either has changed or can be tuned up.

Thank you and have a Happy New Year 2021!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Current cpu and gpu supplies are essentially non-existant.

The motherboard is still well above board for anything arriving in the next year and potentially a half. The only suitable upgrade from your 3900x is the 5900x/5950x... the 5900x is currently the absolute king of core+thread/$ value. Personally if i were to upgrade, the 5900x would be my choice over the 5600x for any other build recommendation i could make for anyone else looking to build a new machine.

As for GPU. Now that AMD's got some gpus available, we know that the nvidia gpus tend to have an edge only at 4k resolution... provided it's not paired with a SAM capable board AND cpu (your board is suitable, but the 5000 series is required atm for SAM to work).

IMO the best high performance value right now is the 6800/6800xt (either or) and the 3070/3080. the 6900xt is MUCH better value than the 3090... but both are substantially poorer value than the lower end cards, which isn't a surprise for flagship products.

Currently x-plane and MSFS2020 are both heavily single threaded bias, hopefully microsoft gets that full dx12 codepath out soon in a stable and high performance state as that'll be huge for even low end gpus and lower end cpus. So you'd likely see a nice little bump with a 5900x due to the superior single and IPC performance over the 3900x. GPU wise the 1080ti is still quite potent... you'd see a boost on a 3080 or 6800xt, anything lower isn't going to amount to much.

Professionally/personally, neither the new cpus and gpus as i said, are available, and those that you can find are grossly over priced.

We likely won't see this settle down until end of january at the earliest, some people are suggesting march maybe.

So i'd say, hold onto what you got for now.

3. arb65912

Time to ask my friends again.... :)
    @Judas
    @Calliers
    I think I want to replace my monitors , one has a bad crack on screen and it bothers me and the 4K one I do not like much because of I need to adjust Settings to see things large enough and some programs even can not be scaled up.

I want a very good 2k monitor.
    Yes, not 4k, just 2k and 27" size (it is a good size for my 2 monitor setup for Blender and work)

Please chip in whoever wants to give me a good pointers, I do not care how expensive, I want a good quality.
    Yes, I will also play simulator on them. :D

Thank you. :)

4. Judas

by 2k you mean 1080p?

unless you mean 2.5k or 1440p aka 2560x1440.

I've often been snagging the Acer 144hz 1440p displays in the 27" range as they have given me the least issues and are generally well rounded.

Most of the models are the XG270/XF270 that i sold and far as i can tell, they are still being made (updated). They are mostly TN though.

Acer has some VA based panels that may be more appealing to you, but if i was in a market for a 1440p display, Acer would be my first stop, followed by BenQ/Samsung.

arb65912 likes this.
  5. arb65912

Thanks. By 2k I mean 2560x1440 I did not know it was 2.5k , sorry

6. arb65912

Hello again @Judas and @Calliers and @EveryonE

I am sorry to ask a trivial question but you will know the answer .

I checked at New Egg store and ALL 3080 and 3090 GPUs are out of stock.

Do you have any idea when they will start becoming available?
    I know they are but with 2x price via scalpers.

7. Judas

Some of them are going for up to 3 grand and of course those with more money than brains... are dishing out the dollars.

We don't expect things to calm down until one or in combination of a few things happen

1: Crypto Crashes
    2: Corona Paranoia (lock downs and restrictions) lift
    3: Fabs expand or are able to run at full capacity (related to 2)
    4: High cost lotto methodology for getting to purchase (basically you get a stub and either get lucky or get into a queue)
    5: GPU compute becomes useless for crypto (etheruem is expected to hit it's limits potentially late this year at which point it'll be more cost effective to switch to a similar system that bitcoin had shifted to basically after the 2016-2018 crash.)

arb65912 likes this.
  8. arb65912

Thank you Judas. Somehow I am missing my notifications recently and I just saw your response by accident almost.

Shortly saying , it sucks about lack of these cards at normal price...