Setup for flight simulator (X-Plane and future msfs 2020) plus Blender modeling

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by arb65912, Feb 25, 2020.

1. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much. I feel bad asking so much but I understand now the difference.

I will go with Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2 for boot and 2TB for storage

I will be getting the Crucial one you described, no RGB as there is already so much light from other components and I will not be looking too much but rather working, testing etc. :)

Done for today.

This weekend will buy the components.

Then I will ask again.... :)

Calliers likes this.
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

If you don't plan on doing heavy video editing, no reason to buy one of the most expensive SSDs in the market. Even a Intel 660p will do and it will save you 100s of $.
    Also, regarding size of the drive, don't forget to calculate 2 things. First, the actual size of the games (plus other software) you are going to install AND all the expansion packs/DLCs over the years. I don't know how big FS is going to be, but I assume depending on your taste, it can grow quite bit.
    Also , part 2, don't forget you need at least 20% of the SSD free for the longevity and performance of the drive .
    If you are approaching 700-800GB of potential data on it, you might want to consider a larger drive, or a second ssd for the games.

3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

The Intel 660p is a really really really slow drive. Even a drive that's 50 bucks more expensive than it is a lot faster.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I too would point to a Evo Plus over a pro.... but really it's all up to the user in the end.

5. arb65912

Thank you again for all replies. I read them all and enjoy.

The only thing that "bothers" me now is Evo Plus versus Pro as Judas and Calliers point out to different items.
    Or maybe I misunderstood?

Please explain, I believe that both are solutions are winners but if you do not mind to explain a bit more.... :)

6. arb65912

Where do I ask about cooler? Here or in different forum maybe? I want to follow the rules. :)

7. Judas

regarding the Evo Plus vs pro..... Calliers and i both pointed out the same evo plus line... i simply suggested it may not necessarily be a requirement for your workload allowing you to save money or invest it in larger ssd.

As for a cooler, I've been pretty impressed with noctua heatsinks, i don't actively recommend AIO/Liquid cooling as it often has zero advantages compared to similarly or cheaper quality heatsinks.

I'm patiently waiting for the new passive heat pipe/pump cooler being engineered by a company that may actually bring something revolutionary to the platform that so far appears to beat the pants off modern heatsinks with heat pipes and even AIO/Liquid alternatives and is completely self regulated.

8. Calliers

Yes, me and @Judas agree on the SSD, if you go for an Evo Plus then make sure you get a 2TB for the added endurance, although you could just get the 1TB and it would still last a long time, and then another Evo Plus that is 2TB for your storage, but 1TB is nothing to sniff at, even if you still need to not fill the drive up completely as SSDs require a little breathing space to work well.

I would definitely once again not recommend the Intel 660p, except only for someone who -really- needed to save money, the Intel 660p uses QLC instead of TLC or SLC flash memory and this means it doesn't have the speed nor the endurance of far superior drives like the Samsungs. Personally I have a Samsung Pro M.2 and a Western Digital Black M.2 in my machine, as well as a 2TB Crucial SATA SSD, but that's only because it was dirt cheap and I only wanted it for installing non-triple A games that don't benefit from lightning fast storage access times. I also have 2 1TB magnetic drives that @Judas gave me (yes we live near each other, well not that close, same province) which I dump everything else like music and video onto.

Noctua makes great heatsinks, but you might even be able to save money because the heatsinks that come with the Ryzen processors are excellent, I've just been using my Wraith Spire heatsink that again, was included with the Ryzen 2700x I have but I'm not sure if the processor you're getting comes with a heatsink. @Judas will be the man to ask about that. But once more, I've heard good things about Noctua, plus I like their design, they look top shelf for sure.

And you did the right thing asking about the heatsink here.

9. Judas

Most of the time the included heatsinks for amd cpus are sufficient, depending on circumstances may throttle a bit. The 3900x and certainly 3950x both pump heat though due to being dual chiplets. I think considering the intended application though, it might be worthwhile investing in a good 3rd party cool that is BETTER than the included one. I've see FAR too many people jump on the tried and true evo 212 for example (heatsink) but neglected to realize that the included amd heatsink performs on average about as well as that, making it a pointless investment. If you're going to do it right, get something better.

10. Trusteft

11. Calliers

Ok, and what of endurance? And when its buffer/cache gets full?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  12. Trusteft

So you think that playing Flight simulator or doing some obviously light video editing he is going to use 250GB+ file access/transfer daily to slow down the drive, while doing this?

I would love to know how he will do this with his workload. (playing FS and doing light video editing).

Or how he is going to exceed 400TBW on say the 2TB drive (which is less than half the price of the 1TB Samsung evo pro).

Just because you can buy a super car it doesn't mean you have to, or that you will get more from it than a FAR cheaper alternative.

As I said, unless he has specific needs which require the faster speeds of far more expensive drives, he is wasting his money.

In a year or two when the next generations of PCIE come out for good, he will be able to get a drive that is much faster than the fastest today, if for some reason he would require that speed boost at the time.
    So it's not even gaining anything from going for the more expensive drives, today.

Calliers likes this.
  13. arb65912

Gentlemen, thank you for replies. I am reading all of them carefully.

Calliers likes this.
  14. arb65912

Ok, parts are purchased... now I can relax and think about cooler.

I would like to get a good closed loop one. I have found this.

Please share your comments.

Fractal Design Celsius S36 360mm Silent High Performance Slim Expandable All-In-One CPU Liquid / Water Cooler

I would like to thank you again ALL who replied here.
    I know that our tastes vary and we have different opinions and preferences and that is totally normal.
    I love these forums for discussions and learning.

@Judas and Calliers: I went with the one below for OS and probably simulator.

SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 2TB Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S2T0B/AM

As an additional storage I will either get the same one OR good SSD 2.5
    What do you think?

Cheers, AJ

Calliers likes this.
  15. arb65912

And the memory will be this

Crucial Technology Ballistix 64GB (32GBx2) DDR4 3600 MT/s UDIMM Desktop Gaming Memory Module Kit, Black

@Judas and Calliers: please confirm it is a proper one :)

Thank you!

Calliers likes this.
  16. Trusteft

Enjoy your new system.

arb65912 and Calliers like this.
  17. Calliers

You misunderstand me, once the cache reaches ~50GB when the drive is full it is -so- easy to fill it up.....and then your performance falls over a cliff.

18. Calliers

I would recommend another Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2, for extra storage of games and programs. Once you have 4TB of really quick SSD space (2 Samsung EVO Plus'), you can buy a 2.5" SATA SSD for dumping music and video on, trust me, you would be surprised how quickly you can fill up 4TB with games and programs.

Heck, for music and video a magnetic old school drive would even suffice, and if you did get a magnetic drive, you could get one which is really big for really cheap. I'd recommend a 4TB or 6TB Western Digital Black if you go down that route, but that's just me. A 2TB Western Digital Black can be had for a really good price too.

Yes that is a good memory kit, go ahead and pull the trigger.

Oh and btw, Judas is just, Judas. The reason I put the "@" sign in front of his name is basically it alerts him that he has been mentioned in a post. You can also put the "@" sign in front of my name if you like and it will let me know I have been mentioned in a post. You don't have to if you quote me or the person who's attention you want to get however as the boards lets them know they've been quoted.

Just a FYI, you may already know all of that though lol.

19. Trusteft

You don't let an SSD to fill. No matter what brand or type.

20. Calliers

By full I meant leaving the required 15-18% free that you need to leave free for it work properly, as the SSD gets full, since it is utilizing cache, so does it's cache. Eventually when it has more stuff on it, it will run so slow once you exceed the cache, see that is why I didn't get an Intel 660p for my system. I was really tempted, really I was, but I only recommend it to someone on a budget. If you can afford a drive that doesn't rely on a buffer/cache then I always say do so. If you can afford a MLC or TLC drive, do so, over QLC.

Don't get me wrong, the 660p is an amazing drive for the money, but it is just not my cup of tea. And if it's not good enough for me, I don't feel right recommending it to someone else.

Edit: Especially if you're copying large files around, that cache then becomes almost nothing.

See I'm not saying the Intel 660p is bad, per se, just saying it's not the best. And it's not like comparing a Ferrari to a Corolla. Both will get you from point a to point b but the features of the 660p make it a different beast altogether when compared to a TLC or MLC drive.