Setup for flight simulator (X-Plane and future msfs 2020) plus Blender modeling

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by arb65912, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

WHO SAID IT'S THE BEST?
    Also, both I and the guy in the video I put the link to mention you should leave at least 20% clear. For any SSD. It's not just the Intel one. So why do you keep saying it back to me?

EDIT: I rather #$#%$%@$# with a $#%@$#@ than watch Linus' videos.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Lol.

All I can say is fish don't fry in the kitchen, beans don't burn on the grille anymore for the OP.

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Από την Πόλη έρχομαι… και στην κορφή κανέλα.

4. Calliers

Greek adage? What does it mean? (I translated it)

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Simply overprovision your ssd's by either shrinking it to allow for a minimum 10% of the space to be left unallocated (samsung's recommendation) or if you're creating a new one, account for the 10% and build a partition that only uses 90%.

This should be applied to all drives, even samsung's "pro" drives which have already an unallocated and unseen disk space.

I've filled an over provisioned drive to max and performance can be maintained within the remaining write performance, given sufficient time to trim what it needs it can clear up. But rule of thumb even for spinning rust is to stay below 80% of the total used space (above 20% free remaining space) for any drive.

arb, I think you should be plenty happy with the kit, thoroughly test what you get and make sure to update the bios as well as significant improvements are to be had.

As for liquid cooling, i can't help you out there, that'll be a venture on your own.

Trusteft likes this.
  6. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

@Calliers : thank you again for your constant support and all responses, it keeps me motivated to learn and ... ask more. lol,lol,lol.

I would get another SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 2TB Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for extra storage but I have ran on something that bothers me a lot.
    I went to mobo website for my coming ASRock X570 CREATOR AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard and looked at the supported M.2 SSD and 2TB is NOT SUPPORTED. See screenshot attached.
    Does it mean that I should return (I hope I can from Newegg if needed ) the 2TB and pick another one that is supported?
    I looked here
    https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Creator/index.us.asp#Support

Magnetic versus SSD for storage, I will decide after setting possible M.2 support problem.

I pulled the trigger on memory .. on back order, seems to be pretty popular :)

That you for explanation on using "@" sign , if I wanted you and Judas to be alerted, I should put "@" and the name twice, what I did was just using it once, dummy me.. lol,lol,lol.
    I also understand about when quoting, I do not need to use "@" as person is already notified someone quoted his reply.
    Please explain about that not supported M.2 2TB drive. I am very curious what you are going to recommend as you can clearly see that SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 2TB Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) is not supported for
    ASRock X570 CREATOR AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

Cheers, AJ

Attached Files:

7. arb65912

Thank you Trusteft,
    I have made my choices but I read and value all replies here.

Trusteft likes this.
  8. arb65912

Thank you for the reply Judas,
    As far as updating BIOS, I am scared to do that but I definitely will if needed.

Question, do I ask here about updating BIOS or should I post in different section?

Liquid cooling, I will investigate and decide on something. I will see what the processor comes with and post here.

9. arb65912

What do you guys think about this one?

Corsair Hydro Series, H150i PRO RGB, 360mm. 3 X 120mm ML PWM Fans, Advanced RGB Lighting & Fan Control w/ Software. Liquid CPU Cooler. CW-9060031-WW. Support: Intel 2066, AMD AM4.

10. Calliers

To be fair, you necessarily don't need liquid cooling like Judas said, all you need is a good fan cooling solution.

As for the drive, 2TB M..2 is supporoted, just because it's not on the list doesn't mean it isn't supported. I would say test it out first, see if ti works, if not send it back.

And yes you can ask here about BIOS updating, wait for @Judas to come back on to answer that as I am not so familiar.

11. arb65912

That is good news but question, will you help me to understand HOW do I test it later on?
    You know, I will put it together and it will work but how well versus how well it should, I do not know how to determine that.
    Are there some benchmarks etc. you could help me with later on, please?

That is a tough one, I see everybody has liquid cooling especially in higher end setups.... I will sleep on it and first of all I will see what comes with CPU.

Thank you!!!!

12. Calliers

Well as far as liquid cooling goes, are you going to overclock? Are you going to push your PC beyond the limits it was meant to work, because if not you certainly do not need liquid cooling. Thing about liquid cooling is if there is a leak you're done for.

Also as far as testing the drive goes, plug it in, fire up the machine, throw Windows on to it, as long as your machine picks it up and reports the correct amount of space then you know the M.2 drive is working. There are too many products on the market for them to include each and every single one on the compatibility list you see.

arb65912 likes this.
  13. arb65912

IF I OC, it will not be much at all. I am just afraid to put too much load on this pretty expensive investment.
    Yes, leaks is the concern for me for sure.

If I go with Air , what would you recommend?

Ok about testing, I understand and will do but I would still love to do some benchmarks etc. but have no idea what and where. I will read on that I guess. :)

14. Calliers

For all intents and purposes, SSDs are like HDDs, not like memory or anything, I would recommend installing Hard Disk Sentinel as that will tell you right off the bat if it's a bad drive.

Also for air cooling, like we recommended above, Noctua makes some good stuff.

Oh, and when you're building your machine, if something doesn't want to go don't force it, make sure stuff is aligned before adding pressure.

If you do have a friend that is more savvy with building machines, have them there with you, someone you trust of course.

If you still really must benchmark your SSD then Atto is a good benchmarking program for SSDs, just download it and run it.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  15. arb65912

Sure, I know that :)

Will try that for sure.

No, I will be OK, I have done it 3 times before, I have no problem doing things manually just might ask about connectors etc.

Will check Noctua Atto .

Thanks for all!!!!! You rock!

Calliers likes this.
  16. Calliers

No problem bud. Keep us updated! :D

17. arb65912

You bet, lol,lol,lol.
    You will not get rid of me so fast ... I will ask questions for sure.

All parts are ordered, except GPU but I need to wait for some cash.

Thank you again bud, it means so much to me.
    Not that many professionals who want to help but still some good ones left! ;-)

18. Calliers

Can I ask you a question? Will you stick around here at HH after you get your PC? Or are you not really into tech as much? Just wondering. :)

And as far as the card goes the MSI Ventus GP RTX 2080 Ti is the cheapest RTX 2080 Ti I believe and I myself have a MSI Ventus RTX 2080, which I have overclocked slightly, it has served me well so far, if you'd like to save some money go for it, it comes with 11GB of memory so it's a really decent RTX 2080 Ti and is heavily recommended online by most sites.

[​IMG]

If you'd like to fly high the EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra is the RTX 2080 Ti with the highest boost clock, if money ain't a thing then go for that one instead.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    arb65912 likes this.
  19. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Just snag a small usb stick, format it as FAT32... and then go to the website, download the appropriate bios update file, extract the bios file from the zip archive directly onto the usb stick and then pop it into the computer, fire up the computer and jump into the bios. AsRock has an "instant flash" utility in the bios, select it, it should automatically find the newest bios update file on the usb flash drive (ensure the name is correct when it points to the file name). Then hit ok, and sit back and relax.

The only thing you have to worry about doing a bios update, is a power failure. It's a wise idea to invest in a quality UPS, say APC VA1500 in your case would be a good VA rating, i wouldn't advise going lower than 900 otherwise you could run into overload issues depending on the workload (number of devices plugged in).

But i've done 100's of bios updates without issue.

IF something does go wrong with the bios update, you're WELL within the return period still, so it's better for it to fail right away while within the period, than to do it later.

The bios updates are quite critical for Ryzen.

arb65912 likes this.
  20. arb65912

Sure you can ask and sure I will answer. :)
    I always liked computers and technical stuff.
    The reason I was here before, built and did not come back was very simple.... I have a full time job and after that I work on payware airplanes for flight simulator doing 3D modeling testing etc. which gives me almost no time left for other things and I also eat lol,lol,lol.
    I will try to stick around here as much as time allows, I love this stuff it is just as I said...

Thanks for the cards suggestions, I will look them up but will not but till maybe 3 weeks from now, no rush though.

Calliers likes this.