Setup for flight simulator (X-Plane and future msfs 2020) plus Blender modeling

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by arb65912, Feb 25, 2020.

1. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

Oh boy.... sure I will do that and will keep my fingers crossed.
    Before I do that I will probably post here though... ;)

Actually I have never thought about UPS until you mentioned it.
    Question, can I turn of off for when not in use.
    I hate all these circuits running just close to my bed when I am not using it.

How often do I have to do BIOS update? Or just one time and done?

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

3. arb65912

Callier, this is incredible how the technology develops, isn't it?
    Today's top item is totally comon a year after...

I have read the article, need to read and learn to understand all terms but I got the majority of it.

They said :
    At a guess, I’d say that this pair are prototypes of next generation Quadro flagships. Their respective memory capacities of 48 GB and 24 GB exclude them from being gaming cards."

Why they say it excludes them from gaming cards?

Cheers, AJ

4. Calliers

Too much memory, for gaming (Quadro cards are used for workstations mostly, they are intended for intense professional graphical design usually), although if you continue to read on it also says:

"But Nvidia uses almost identical silicon for its flagship Quadro and GeForce cards, so you could estimate the sequel to the RTX 2080 Ti to have about 7,000 cores – whatever those cores are made of."

arb65912 likes this.
  5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

It's an assumption because games don't need that much vram, not even close, and cards with that much vram are used for other reasons than gaming. Having said that, it's an assumption, no one knows for sure how much vram the next generation will have than Nvidia.

arb65912 likes this.
  6. arb65912

Yes, I have read that . It is still so amazing to me... what it will be like in 20 years? hard to imagine.

7. arb65912

I understand , I was not reading anything computers related for few years now and since I came back I am blown away seeing all these new advances... thanks!

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  8. Calliers

Yeah, the PC industry stands still for no one, it is ever changing and ever evolving. I've kept my finger on the pulse so for me the changes seemed more gradual, for someone who hasn't been looking at what is happening for a while then checking on it the differences must seem monumental indeed. :)

arb65912 likes this.
  9. arb65912

Exactly! :)

As I explained before, my free time is quite limited but this time I would like to stay a bit updated with all and also learn a bit ....

I know there are thousands of websites and boards for that but I would like the recommendation from the pros.

1. Where can I read and learn about computers in general so I can understand more of the specs for CPU GPU mobo etc?
    I am looking for things explained in relatively simple way so I can understand.
    Well, I do not consider myself a total moron , lol,lol,lol but some sources explain things on a level that is beyond my pay grade.
    You know what I mean.

2. Where do go to have a good spectrum of news on main computer advances, technologies etc.?
    Maybe even something I could get emails automatically (usually I unsubscribe from many websites as there is simply too many mails I would not read but in this case would be different)

3. I want to stay within maybe 4 good sources of what I described in 1. and 2.

Thanks, cheers, AJ

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

regarding UPSes.... they are usually, at least the good ones.. completely silent until they are triggered. I generally recommend anyone with a home entertainment setup, be it a tv/av receiver, sat/cable, BrPlayer, console to be running one along with pc users. Laptop is a bit of an exception but they are damn handy for keep you connected for the router/modems too.

And yes they can be "turned off" only allows the "surge only" to continue operating, though some more newer ones have ECO mode sothat when you turn off say your main machine, it shuts down other connected devices until you turn said machine on (this is dependant on the which plug you use and what other plugs are designated to be slaved).

Bios updates are usually pretty critical for the first say year that a board launches specially with a wildly different architecture. Later bios updates usually aren't absolutely necessary unless it's a use case senario or if it is intended to fix a serious flaw that affects everyone. Otheriwse most of the ryzen bios updates i've found generally continue to provide performance tweaks/boosts due to such a wildly different design using chiplsets and i/o die compared to the tried and true but obviously dead in the water monolithic design that intel still currently uses.

arb65912 likes this.
  11. arb65912

What I meant by shutting it of was totally turn it of after I am done with my PC activity for the night.
    I do not know how critical it is but I have read from many sources that any electrical circuits are not humans best friend and it is advised to turn them off for the night at least.

I have found that one, any good ?

APC BR1500MS 1500 VA Pure SineWave 10 Outlets 2 USB Charging Ports Back-UPS Pro Battery Backup, Replaces BR1500G

12. Calliers

Yes APC is excellent.

As for reading news that I can help with. I post news on this very forum every day in the Industry News section and @MIG-31 posts news in the News section about the industry and in the Gaming News section news is also posted as well. Also if you like cars there is auto news posted everyday mostly by me in the Petrol Heads forum on here.

As for reading about PCs and learning about them maybe you would want to learn a programming language, that will lead you into all sorts of challenges that will cause you to learn about PCs (you'll be jumping from site to site, but google is your friend), I recommend Python, it is super easy and straightforward.

13. arb65912

Thanks. Watching these so I do not need to do anything, email will tell me and I just read . :)

I would love to but not now. Time limitation again....:rolleyes:
    I used to do some Autolisp programming for AutoCad several years ago, boy, wasn't it fun! I would stay almost all night, going to work half asleep because I was chasing one missing dot or whatever stopped program from running.
    Yes, I will Google something on general computer knowledge.

Question, lol,lol,lol, you said to ask away some time ago so.....
    Does TIM paste get old when not open in little tube?
    I have few from 4 years ago , not used but on the other hand, they are very cheap, better not taking chances with all this $$ spent, right?
    Which one is the best, I guess most of them are the same.
    Thanks!

14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Regarding turning off devices at night, i think that is more applicable to the devices themselves, the UPS itself is simply a significantly more complex multiplier for power that will always be running through the walls, it does have a LITTLE bit of a electronics inside, but that's strictly for monitoring, and line switch along with AVR.

Also that looks like basically the upgraded/newer model of my 1500va i have.

Also tim can get old, depends on the type. I still tend to recommend MX-4 thermal paste since it's non electrically conductive but basically at the top of the thermal paste performance mark, the only ones better may only shave 1 or 2 C off what mx-4 can do.

TIM should be stored with the nozzle facing down. Any that oxidizes then can be ejected first onto say some paper towel, and then the remaining good stuff can be used. I've some tim from maybe 4-6 years old that still works. However MOST of the thermal paste preapplied to a lot of 3rd party quality heatsinks/AIO tend to be pretty damn decent. Even AMD's ryzen cpus come with some spot on thermal paste that i've tested and essentially matches the performance of the MX-4 i've got.

arb65912 and Trusteft like this.
  15. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Yeah, MX-4 is awesome. I don't know why major manufacturers don't use it too. Actually I know why they don't, because they don't even know how to apply the damn thing.

arb65912 likes this.
  16. Calliers

I think someone posted in the wrong thread. :rolleyes:

Trusteft likes this.
  17. arb65912

I am turning all computer devices off and then turning off power (no UPS, just a regular extension with outlets. Yes, I know I should have one no matter what)
    I was under the impression I could do the same to UPS.
    On order! :) Had no idea they can get old. Thank you!

They don't? :D I hope TIM manufacturer does ....lol Thanks!

Hey guys, my ASRock X570 CREATOR AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard just came.... I guess I will have to go to work tomorrow but I will be very tired ....;)

Calliers likes this.
  18. Calliers

Congrats! :D

Whatever you do, don't forget to post PHOTOS! And lots of them at that!

arb65912 likes this.
  19. arb65912

Thank you Calliers! ;)
    I did not know you guys want photos, sure thing than, will start posting soon. :D

Calliers likes this.
  20. Calliers

Sure! That and er...one of your kidneys. Just for safe keeping and all that. ;)

arb65912 likes this.