Setup for flight simulator (X-Plane and future msfs 2020) plus Blender modeling

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by arb65912, Feb 25, 2020.

1. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

LOL,LOL,LOL. I skipped the kidney shot..... maybe later on.... you cracked me up, love when people have sense of humor!

So, first shots of the Phanteks Eclipse P600S PH-EC600PSTG_AG01 Antracite Gray Steel / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Very first comments

1. I like the look and it seems it can be pretty customizable (I just put HDD racks to see how they mount , never seen these, duh...)

2. I do not like the fact that sound dampening seal around window and other side panel is easy to peel off, did a bit by accident, put it back but you gotta be careful...

Question, is the size of the pictures OK? I do not want to break rules or anything....2048x1536

IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0935.JPG

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Looks neat, and as for the question about the pictures, as long as they go up you're golden. There is a file size limit on the images, you'll know if you hit it because it won't attach the image. :)

Make sure to practice correct cable management!

arb65912 likes this.
  3. arb65912

Good news, some forums have very strict rules and it is hard to post a good shot. I love it here. :)

Since you guys like pictures and probably will comment, I will take many as I go .
    Cable management, I like it tidy but I might not be the best "cable tider" .... so I will show you and then I will redo if bad.

Going onto my mobo now, still did not open........ see ya later!!!!:D

4. Calliers

Lol, Xmas has definitely come early for you. :)

@Judas did my cable management for me, since he's a bona fide PC professional (although I did work as a service desk tech at one point in my life), he is good with doing cable management, better than me at least, and I like the way he set up the insides of my machine, it looks so clean.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

ok time to delete this and re type it in the proper thread. :)

Calliers likes this.
  6. arb65912

OR very late lol,lol.

I would like to learn that too, it does not have to perfect but nice a neat look would be great.
    I guess I need to look at good examples of cable management somewhere... maybe here? :p
    But that will come later.

Now question again, I know it is a personal preference though.

PSU first into case?

CPU in mobo and then in case?

Air cooler when mobo is still out?

Antistatic thing... if mobo is out , should I still ground myself somehow? How? I have a wrist thing and always was clamping it into metal part of the case but if mobo is just sitting on the antistatic bag it came with, where do I connect the wrist thing?

I know it might be an over protection as I have seen guys just putting CPU in without any grounding but I would like to know.
    I can take a faulty component, s..t happens but I would hate to damage something by just being ignorant....

Opened the mobo box.... beautiful. :D

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

Just make sure your wrist band is connected to the metal case at all times and you're not wearing rubber sandals or any shoes, preferably barefoot.

I usually go:

PSU in case, mobo in case, CPU in mobo, cooler on CPU.

arb65912 likes this.
  8. arb65912

Might leave socks, shirt and pants on.... lol,lol,lol

That is the order I did before, thanks!

Calliers likes this.
  9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I always go in this order:

1: Prep case, make sure mainboard mounts are in the correctly location and that All the mainboard mount points are accounted for
    2: Prep mainboard outside of the case
    3: Install CPU, mount heatsink
    4: Install Ram
    5: Install m.2 ssds (if used)
    6: Install mainboard in case
    7: install PSU and cable manage
    8: Install proper orientation of fans for ideal cable management (rgb if included). I often remove a all the fans in the case because they way they are installed tends to be the polar opposite of cable managed.
    9: Install any 2.5/3.5" drives and route Sata cables. If you've a optical drive, i usually do that last.
    10: Install graphics card last
    11: leave side panels off, power on and check that everything is detected and operating as intended.
    12: Enter the bios, perform bios update immediately. Once completed, set optimised defaults in the bios and then configure the memory for XMP followed by setting the system to pure UEFI mode (Disable legacy/csm boot, enabled secure boot). Then run memtest.
    13: Use latest windows 10 usb installation media (currently 1909 as of this post) and install windows. ENSURE that you do NOT connect to the internet (pull ethernet/don't connect to wifi when it asks to). Make certain to setup a LOCAL account only, do NOT sign into a microsoft account. Microsoft will insist, but you'll be able to proceed with local offline account. Once you've gotten to the desktop, plug in the ethernet/connect, and you'll be greeted with a "Lets finish setting things up" at which point you can click skip and then back to the desktop.
    14: Let windows install drivers/updates as it sees fit before installing the latest drivers from the referrence manufacturers such as amd's chipset gotten from amd.com and nvidia's drivers. The only things installed from the motherboard manufacturers site should be basically the Audio drivers for onboard audio. On off cases, the wifi/nic ONLY if you're experiencing connection abnormalities, should be installed. NEVER use the included motherboard disc or install a lot of that 3rd party bloatware.
    15: Run the gauntlet of benchmarks and various loads before installing your own daily driver software to ensure that things seem to be performing as they should.

arb65912 likes this.
  10. arb65912

Thank you for detailed description, especially steps from 7. up.
    I can tell there are two main trends, like @Calliers said or the way you described.
    I am guessing that it would be just personal preference.

If I went the 1. to 6. way, what do I place main board and how do I protect it from static? (assuming I still wear socks, shirt and pants...:p)

I see advantages and disadvantages in both methods.
    When mobo is in the case, it is easier to turn the screws and manipulate other components over it as it is stationary.
    With mobo outside of the case, there is easy access everywhere but one needs to hold it somehow to place and secure components which is probably hard without touching things that should not be touched (I am talking computer components only lol,lol,lol)

11. Judas

Every motherboard i've purchased combined laying on a soft foam material, that is then stuffed into an anti-static bag.

I usually pull the mainboard out of the bag with the foam under it, and set it on the table i'm working at with the foam still under it and work from there.

Static isn't really a concern, i've never worn a wrist anti-static chain or anything, hell i've worked on carpet with my socks on. It's not a bad habbit to just ground yourself out first, but for the most part, if a component were to die with a bit of a static jolt you can be sure it was going to go pop anyways.

Calliers and arb65912 like this.
  12. arb65912

Thanks Judas! I will do it your way this time for diversity. :D

Calliers likes this.
  13. arb65912

Hi guys, put PSU in today, have couple comments on that, will post pictures tomorrow.

POSSIBLE PROBLEM??? Motherboard is bent slightly, when I fit tried it in the case, I have to push one end about 5mm for the board to reach standoff, slight push only but....
    Should I try it or return?
    There is no visible abiouse on mobo though...
    The fun started !!! lol,lol,lol

14. Calliers

I don't think that should be cause for concern, wait for @Judas though.

arb65912 likes this.
  15. arb65912

REturn period is 30 days so I have a bit of time. Will wait for Judas comments. Thanks!

16. Judas

5mm is half a centimeter... is it consistent across the board (does it appear to have a curve that covers the entire stretch of the board or, or does it appear to have a serious bend in it starting at say the middle or near the end of the board?)

I've had a few boards that had a little bit of a flex out of the box, but for the most part it's minimal. I'm always leary about pushing something that looks a little tweaked though. Can chance you could post a picture of the board sitting on a clean flat surface, take the picture as good as you can on the edge to show how/where is curved in what manner if possible.

May want tipstaff to maybe drop his opinion.

arb65912 likes this.
  17. Calliers

Yeah, @Tipstaff would have a good opinion about all this too.

arb65912 likes this.
  18. arb65912

OK, let's get the case out of the way first...

1. PSU mount is a bit too weak imo, look ta the ss. this is 750W one and it is relatively small but still kind of drops a bit .
    It is OK but especially with heavier PSU I think they should go with four screws in the corners

2. The filter at the bottom back of the case, I understand that it will be probably accessible for many users but in my case PC is sitting facing wall and I doubt I will move all away just to access that filter.
    If I was a designer I would go with bottom filter removable (sliding) toward front of the case.

IMG_0938.JPG IMG_0939.JPG

19. arb65912

Yes, it seems to be consistent across the board. See SSs but keep in mind it is perspective view so the bend might actually look bigger than it is.
    I also have noticed that the plastic bag mobo was in has a tiny cut in the middle, I do not know if it is from just plastic stretched and braking or from some force applied in that area.
    I think the SSs will tell a lot.

Looking for ward to your opinions. I can replace, no rush but maybe not...

Attached Files:

20. Judas

it looks like a fairly gentle curve... it is a fairly sizable board anyways. There are a lot of video cards that have a similar curve to it.

I'd personally try it out and run it through a good number of tests and see if any problems pops up.

But lets see what tipstaff has to say perhaps.

arb65912 likes this.