Setup for flight simulator (X-Plane and future msfs 2020) plus Blender modeling

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by arb65912, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

I agree with @Judas, with that much stuff on the board, I'm not surprised it curves slightly. My RTX 2080 is quite massive but doesn't curve as doesn't my mobo. Although my GPU has a back plate on it so that is probably why it doesn't curve.

arb65912 likes this.
  2. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

Ok, we going to have a GO than... :D
    The case have GPU support bracket, need to figure out how to mount it though, manual is not very clear on that (at least for a dummy like me :p)

3. arb65912

CPU is in mobo and mobo is in case.
    I went @Calliers way as it seems to me that mobo is kind of flexing a lot and I want is sitting steady while mounting other things.

Ryzen came with very good looking heatsink with fan. I will post a picture.
    I also have this one coming soon.
    be quiet! DARK ROCK 3 SilentWings CPU Cooler 190W TDP

Question @Judas and whoever wants to chip in.
    Which one do I use?
    The one that came with CPU has already bracket for easy attachment.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

That "push" you mentioned to reach the standoff, did you have to push the board further towards the backplate / back of the case?

Sometimes the backplate can be a bit stiff, and puffy, and can stick into the case a bit. Not a really an issue though. The other thing about that board is it has a lot of connectors on the back, like 2 wireless plugs, optical, plus smaller USB C ports, and so on. More than likely the connectors on the board are not aligning properly with the holes on the backplate. In particular take a look at the hole where the external BIOS button is.

Rule of thumb is to usually place the board in the case at an angle to the backplate, align the holes of the backplate to the mobos back connectors, then sit the board into the case aligning the mounts.

Flexing of the board.. missing the backplate for the CPU? Maybe missing a mount / standoff between the board and case? They do tend to come with a bit of a bow to them, but they don't tend to flex a lot. I'd have to go back, and look at the case that's being used, so I'll have to get back on that one.

Edit: just to double check something, I can't recall what page it is, but just be sure you follow the placement for the standoffs for the size of board you are using. For your ATX board you only want to use 9 standoffs, 3 by 3 by 3 as you go down the case. You don't want to use the other 3 if you are using a full size board as that could cause the board to be higher in some spots. The other 3 standoff spots are only if you use a smaller micro ATX board.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Calliers and arb65912 like this.
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

the biggest mistake i see a lot of people make is often trying to slide the mainboard into the case while aligning with the I/O shield/backplate, and without "bending" the i/o shield/backplates little contact ground points "out of the way a bit", i've seen some people jam mainboards in with those tabs literally stuck in the sockets they were supposed to go around (which is real bad when they are powered and short out).

it's often the most irritating or difficult task of getting a mainboard installed. Like i said, i usually before installing the I/O shield/backplate into the case, tend to use my finger to pry up the little tabs on it so it gives me better clearance as well as the pressure point fingers on it, i push in so that there isn't as much resistance. The HDMI/DP port and network ports usually cause the most grief.

Even getting the IO shield into the case can be a pain in the ass as not all case's are cut properly resulting in it either flexing in or flexing out or even being slightly "janky" which makes installing the mainboard properly that much more difficult.

There are a HELL of a lot of people that just said fuck it and left the IO shield out just because they couldn't get anything to fit and lost their patience

As for the cooler.... i'd say it's up to you, i'd be inclined to get the machine up and running asap and make sure everything is working as intended just in case something is faulty. Best to do it with the existing amd supplied heatsink and such which is quite good for stock. You'll just need a good cleaner to mop up the cpu when you swap to the newer heatsink later.

6. arb65912

Thanks for reply Tipstaff!

Yes, I had to push mostly one corner to reach the standoff. Not really much, maybe 3 mm or so, when I was pushing it did not need strong force to do it, just a very tiny push.
    Mobo is not in the case wit all bolts snagged.

The connectors in the back were not a problem, I will snap some pictures later on and show here.
    I was very careful, I slid the mobo into the case and started with lining up the back into the washer( I do not know the name, the soft piece with writings about what is what that goes between case from the inside and mobo) then I lined up holes in mobo wit h studs.
    Someone was smart as studs had little tiny collars on the top so you could tell if mobo just snaps into them instead of simply eyeballing the process.

Rule of thumb is to usually place the board in the case at an angle to the backplate, align the holes of the backplate to the mobos back connectors, then sit the board into the case aligning the mounts.
    I did just that . I guess ed it before you even wrote here but thank you very much!

I made a mistake, I used 10 standoffs, see attached SS. Should I remove the one I crossed?

I sound like a broken record for sure but I just love these forums and friendly professionals who are here to help. Thank you ALL! :)

Attached Files:

7. Judas

it looks like the board is designed with 10 standoffs to use.... if you're using all 10.. then you shouldn't need to remove them.

Just make sure there wasn't any additional standoffs put in place that would make direct contact with the underside of the board as that would be bad.

8. arb65912

Thank you Judas!

Now I am scared.... I did bend out ONE contact point (see SS) but there were I guess 3 more tiny ones..... ajjjj, I am very tempted to take mobo out and redo the process.
    Should I? I do not know what these points should do exactly, I can take it out and make a picture.

Yes, getting the IO shield was pain in the ass but I am willing to do it again if it is needed plus I want to know what other points supposed to do.... I guess I better take it apart.... :confused:

Re cooler, believe or not I just thought what you said, I will use AMD heatsink that came with CPU. IMG_0947.JPG IMG_0948.JPG

9. arb65912

No there was not. I put the 10th one by myself. The one with crossed out circle. So I am good as far as the standoffs but that back plate bugs me... I will take it apart.... or I will not sleep, lol,lol,lol.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  10. arb65912

OK Gentlemen, I redid it... had to.
    See attached . Now I see that the one I bent is the only one I needed to or am I wrong?
    Please let me know.
    Thanks!

IMG_0949.JPG

11. arb65912

Installed AMD heatsink as shown on picture.

As per @Judas note, the worst case , will replace later on.

Memory was on backorder, did not want to wait in case mobo/CPU replacement is needed and ordered RGB version.

Crucial Technology Ballistix RGB 64GB (32GBx2) DDR4 3600 MT/s UDIMM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, Black

Attached Files:

12. Calliers

Looks like things are going well, I will leave you in the capable hands of @Judas and @Tipstaff, they have far more experience than I, but I will be watching. :)

I just can't wait till you fire it up for the first time, we'd need a video then!

arb65912 likes this.
  13. arb65912

Please do not leave me !!!!!!!!!!! .......:D OK, just keep watching if you prefer.;)

Yes, seems like things going forward slowly but steadily.

I will be scared but I will make a video but before then I will need to make sure I did all right......

Sometime next week I will be deciding on GPU, have few candidates you suggested, you might want to reply then.:)

Calliers likes this.
  14. arb65912

I cannot believe it.... I ordered 3rd set of memory and it is backordered again... I got it on Adorama.
    Why don't they say up front it is on backorder instead of after I just bought it.

I think i will say f..k it and get me some temporary memory from Best Buy so I can do first POST this weekend.

Questions:

1. Mobo has two buttons POWER and RESET. When all is connected and checked can I just use hit POWER?
    I believe RESET will just start system over, correct?
    To shut it off do I press POWER button again?

2. Is it OK to use temporary DR4 16 GB memory as long as mobo supports it and later replace when the good one come?

3. AsRock website says about Creator

- Integrated AMD Radeon™ Vega Series Graphics in Ryzen Series APU* and then *Actual support may vary by CPU
    - CPU website says :Graphics Model Discrete Graphics Card Required

Does it mean that I can not do POST without GPU?

Please answer these, I might try to power it up this weekend unless you do not recommend so. Thanks you!:)

15. Judas

so far it looks good...

i'm still a bit confused about the 10th standoff though... every image i see of the mainboard, shows that there are intended to be 10 standoffs used. IF your mainboard doesn't have a 10th spot (as marked) then don't worry, using just 9 is fine.

Regarding the power/reset buttons directly on the board... they are more used for those running the mainboard outside of a case without any headers attached, usually people that are overclockers like those buttons, but they function no differently than the buttons on a case.

Yes you can use any ddr4 memory you like provided it's no lower than 2133mhz. Granted you'll be limited by whatever timings/speed it is.

In order to fire up the board without a graphics card installed, you NEED an APU such as the 2200/3200/2400/3400g ... which you don't have. AMD's Ryzen CPUs from 3500 through to 3950x do not have an intergrated graphics. You must use a GPU with your system in order to do anything.

arb65912 likes this.
  16. arb65912

Thank you Judas!

Maybe I did not explain it properly (my Polish English :rolleyes:)....
    Mobo has 10 holes for standoffs , the case same with 9 standoffs mounted and I put another one in the crossed red circle area and attached mobo with 10 bolts.
    See attached picture.
    I used all 10 mobo holes and I was asking if I should remove the 10th one.
    I guess it all good now.

Understand about buttons but question is if I press POWER again, it will just shut off the system without any damages?

Both temporary memory till I get my 64GB set.
    It is Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz, it will have to do for now...:)

Understand about APU, borrowed the Nvidia Quadro K2000 so I do not have to remove my Nvidia GTX 2800 Ti from my existing system.

Seems like I will be ready to put all together whenever it happens, no rush.

Now I need to figure out the cables connections.....

One more question, mobo manual says :

I will do that but when my 64GB (2x32GB) memory comes, do I install it in the same fashion?

Another question but I understand you will not answer if it is too complicated to explain for the Polish dummy. :p
    Manual says that one stick can not be used but on the SS I see in slot A2 two single entries SR and DR at 3200 Mhz.
    I need to read about all that, I want to learn, any good easy to understand source on that?
    I know Google is my friend.... but I will retire trying to read all what Google comes up with. :D

IMG_0946.JPG Matisse and PR memory.JPG

17. arb65912

I forgot to ask that one.....

Are there any advantages of installing my M.2 SSD in one spot over the other?
    I will get another one later on so I guess it does not matter.

What if I get 2.5 SSD instead of M.2 factor?

Please explain what are the best options.

Thank you!

M2_1 and M2_2 Armor.JPG M2_1 and M2_2.JPG

Calliers likes this.
  18. Calliers

arb65912 likes this.
  19. Judas

sounds good on your 10th mount situation.

hitting the power button on the mainboard will act just like the case power button, if you hold it, it'll force power off, if you give it a tap, it'll (if you're in windows) shut down normally. (usually)

A single stick should be placed in the A2 slot in single module mode..... dual modules should be put in A2 and B2 for dual channel

The purpose is to properly get the most out of the memory setup and topology of the board. You can technically place a module in any slot and it'll work.. but for the best results, populated A2 first for a single module..... A2 and B2 for dual... and then A2 + B2 + A1 for triple... and of course all slots for 4 module installs. you get best results with only A2 and B2 installed usually

on x570... installing the m.2 ssd in the top or bottom slot doesn't matter, they perform excellently over either, typically the one closest to the cpu will be your best performance... but since it's techically setup for pci-ex v4.0, most ssds are still v3.0 and it'll be just fine.

and yes, sata ssd is significantly lower end than nvme...

arb65912 and Calliers like this.
  20. arb65912