Sex offender wins Facebook case

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Nov 30, 2012.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

A convicted sex offender wins a High Court order for the removal of a Facebook page monitoring paedophiles in Northern Ireland.

2. Calliers

Calliers Is turning over a new leaf..... Staff Member

I hate pedophiles, I know hate is a strong word but what they do to kids makes me sick.

3. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

hey, don't f**k little kids you sick bastards, problem goes away..

4. skylineaddict

skylineaddict Sleep Deprived Ant

Although it's bad that they are publicly shamed like that, their wrongs warrant the public shaming they get from pages like that.

5. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I'm against such private initiatives/movements since they so often go wrong, apart from sometimes going illegal. Given what Facebook does police intently I'm surprised they wanted to keep this up. Around here in Europe anyway there's often an ulterior motive like only listing people with an outsider background. Then there's the mistaken identity factor that certainly pops up now and then in the media. In a better world people could be as interested in helping out the victims too.

6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'd have to agree, there is a reason we have laws, courts and police instead of "people's justice". Vigilantism quickly turns into the terror of the mob. Today it's pedos, a group few of us will sympathize with, but if you allow it, it's another group tomorrow, until someone stops you in the street one day and asks what does your hairstyle mean to you. And these people don't do the "innocent until proven guilty" thing.

Also, the term "sex offender" is a tricky one. We hear "sex offender" and we all think "pedo" or "rapist", but not all cases are like that. I remember an article from The Economist that mentioned an extreme case of a woman who ended up a registered sex offender after being caught giving a bj to her boyfriend who, at the time of the "offense", went to the same class as her, but, due to mere months between their birthdays, she was above the legal limit and he wasn't. That meant job restrictions later in life, not being allowed to live near schools, churches and other places where youth gathered and all else that goes with being essentially a registered pedo (and yeah, she tried to get herself erased from the register for ages). I can't remember what US state this was in, but American readers can probably guess.

So, while some sex offenders, in my opinion, deserve nothing short of a bullet between their eyes, not all cases are so black and white, yet public groups such as this one don't always make the distinction because they don't know (and sometimes don't bother to find out) all the facts. They simply discover that someone is a registered offender and that person is targeted, so even in cases like this, vigilantism should be discouraged.

7. Calliers

Calliers Is turning over a new leaf..... Staff Member

Ivan you should have gone into law, you have a very good head on your shoulders. Both you and mkk, I never saw it that way.

8. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Thanks, Callandor, I've been told so. I guess that it runs in the family, I have a few relatives who are lawyers and even my dad, who is an engineer, used to represent his company before court (even though they did have a legal department) until the law no longer allowed it. :)

Calliers likes this.