Shopping for HD5770

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by simonj4599, Sep 9, 2011.

1. simonj4599

simonj4599 New Member

I have an HP Pavillion Elite e9300 computer, AMD X4 820 quad core, 6GB DDR3 SDRAM, 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450 -monitor ViewSonic VA2226-11 Model #VS11803 at 1680x1050.
    I have recently upgraded my psu to a LSP “professional” 750 watt.
    I am shopping for a new graphics card for under $150. I do online gaming , light video editing etc.
    The Radeon HD 5770 has been recommended.
    When shopping I see various manufacturers - Diamond, XFX, Sapphire, Sapphire Vapour.... Also there is an XFX single slot HD 5770.
    Prices range from $120 - $250 for the same card? Single slot is cheaper ( I assume not as good).
    I’m not savvy enough to go by the specs. I have looked at sites like hardware compare but they don’t list the different manufacturers.
    So a) how do I choose? Just by price? And b) is there any reason I should stick with Radeon instead of say NIVIDA is the a better choice than ATI?

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Comparing specs shouldn't be too difficult. For every model, you should be able to find the exact amount of memory they have as well as GPU and memory speed. The specs you should expect on a 5770 are:
    - memory: 1GB, 1200MHz GDDR5 (4800MHz effective).
    - GPU: 850MHz.

The prices you found vary wildly mostly because the model has been out for a long time. Out of those that fall into the desired price bracket, pick the one you like best, or name those exact models and someone here well take a look at them. Generally, all manufacturers currently in business can make a decent graphics card. Things that make the difference are the warranty and support quality, and some special features (slower or faster memory or GPU, special cooling etc).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

majority of the price difference reasons are due to Smaller amounts of Slower onboard Ram for the cheaper cards.... such as using 512mb DDR3 instead of the higher end higher priced cards having 1024mb GDDR5.. this can obviously have a HUGE impact on the price.

also another price factor is the cooling solutions implemented, heavier duty coolers or elaborate 3rd party cooling system tend to be expensive as well.

Now depending on what your doing, as you haven't really said what you do at an extent..... What games online are you playing..... what was your main reason for finding the 5450 being to slow or not powerful enough?

If i were to suggest, find any 5770 that's available with 1gb(1024mb) of GDDR5, and you'll be happy. only get the single slot cooler if it's cheaper OR you don't have the room in your system for the dual slot.

The nvidia/ati debate can be and is being waged for years..... some people have had terrible experiences with one.. and the next guy/girl will have a completely opposite experience with the same product.

I for example have been always leaning with ATI simply because i've had the least number of failures and generally great experience with little to no troubles at all.. any troubles i have had seemed to plague both so really there was nothing that could be done.

Also i tend to try and stick with Sapphire brand, they are essentially the closest you can get to the Built by ATI.. and i've had a good run with them. Not saying other manufacturers are terrible... i know many people like the XFX..

Just keep in mind that the cheaper you go.. the low end your getting, and generally low end components are used.. meaning it could last 15 years or less who knows... lol..

4. simonj4599

simonj4599 New Member

5. caqde

caqde Active Member

Thats pretty much the card I own currently and has been good to me for a while now (about a year or more).
    Not sure why you had to pay a restocking fee on your return to newegg was it a refund? Otherwise did you talk to them about that? Not sure how long ago it was but they may be able to get that fixed for you if it wasn't to long ago unless of course this was a return for a refund as a replacement shouldn't have a restocking fee although you can get around that if you call them and you had already gotten a replacement for that product.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I've had to pay restock on bad parts to Newegg too...... several times. Sometimes if you call and beg they will cut you store credit for the restocking fee........ Which means you have to buy from them again. Tricky, that! :rolleyes:

7. Triniman X

Triniman X New Member

8. IvanV

That looks like a great suggestion, from what I've seen, 6770s are actually rebranded 5770s, so it's the same card at a better price and the XFX lifetime warranty applies. :)

9. simonj4599

simonj4599 New Member

1) Newegg got back to me after 3 days - they automatically take the restocking fee but refund it if you call them.

The HD 6770 at Tiger looks like a good deal but I notice it's single slot not double ???

10. IvanV

What do you mean? It says dual and sure looks dual slot. :)

[​IMG]

11. simonj4599

simonj4599 New Member

Sorry , my bad, at first glance I thought it looked like the XFX single rail but Ivans big picture shows it clearly. I think I
    i' m sold - just over $100 is a great price. thank you for the help!

12. caqde

caqde Active Member

Interesting I have RMA'd countless items with them and never had a restocking fee on any of them.... all of them were RMA replacements with the exception of a double dud of a Gigabyte motherboard called them on that one though.

On topic though the 6770 would likely be a great card it is the 5770 with an updated UVD (Universal Video Decoder) and an updated HDMI spec (1.4a vs 1.3 I think). Anyways enjoy

13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

last i checked personally.... the 6770 was a tad bit slower then the 5770....

14. IvanV

I'm surprised to hear that as the major sites (such as AnandTech) seem to agree that it's nothing but a rebadge, same chip, same clocks, updated sticker and HDMI out. I did also find one review that compares the 6770 to the 5770 (among other cards) and the two are absolutely neck and neck (the 6770 is actually generally ahead by the smallest of margins thanks to a 10MHz overclock on the GPU).

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I'm going to stay with my 5770's.... No reason to upgrade.

16. Triniman X

Triniman X New Member

I got the xfx hd 6790 instead ;/