Should I Wait for Window 8?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Crystallization, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Crystallization

Crystallization New Member

I'm currently using Windows XP but I want to know if it's worth it to buy Windows 7 or should I wait for Windows 8 to come out? I've been reading some tidbits about Windows 8 and it seems promising in what it has to offer. But I have some reservations about Windows 7 and I'm afraid or spending money for a "new" Start menu and some flashy icons all of which I probably wouldn't use seeing as I like to keep my OS nice and light, like only 68MB-memory-usage light.

So...wait for 8 or be in heaven with 7? :)

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Windows 7 has a lot more improvements than first meets the eye, but on the current system specs I would recommend sticking with Windows XP. An upgrade around the time when Windows 8 comes out perhaps. :) (there will likely be some free demo of Windows 8 that you can try as well)

3. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

OK, first thing is, your system is a bit long in the tooth. Are you planning on upgrading any time soon? If so, I'd say wait until you do.

If not, then I'd recommend that you go ahead an get 7. Especially if you have 4GB Ram, or can upgrade to 4GB.

The advantages the you will have with 7 are just too much to not upgrade to it. Especially in terms of security.

As far as "I like to keep my OS nice and light, like only 68MB-memory-usage light."....that might have been true for XP, but not Vista and/or 7. Both of those OSs use memory in a different way than XP, and "keeping it light" really doesn't give you any advantage. With Vista and 7, the MORE memory you see being "used" the better. That "extra" memory being used is part of Superfetch, which makes both of them much more responsive than XP.

Once you see just how good 7 is, you will kick yourself for not upgrading sooner.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

If you're talking about the OS you'll be using on your future Monster Photoshop Rig, then you should really go with 7 x64, it will be a big improvement over XP.

If you're talking about the one in your sig, keep XP.

5. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Agree with IvanV, for the Photoshop rig go with Win7 x64 which will allow you to run the 64bit version of Photoshop, taking advantage of your hardware.

6. ada1984

ada1984 New Member

agree wait

7. Crystallization

Crystallization New Member

Okay. Thanks for all of the comments! :D
    I wasn't so much asking about XP vs Win7 but whether or not for my next computer upgrade if I should just hold out for Windows 8 to come out or send the money sooner to buy Windows 7.

If Windows 8 comes out early next year and has some substantial improvements over Windows 7 then I'll go with that. If it comes out much later next year or does not have enough improvements over Win7 then I'll just go with Win7, simple as that. :)

As for RAM usage, I'm not locked in at using only 68MB but I look to achieve the lightest possible setup with all optimizations enabled. I've spent a long time tweaking XP and I'm sure that I'll be doing the same for my next OS. XD