Should Ralph Nader be included in the presidential debates?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by RDoggy, Sep 1, 2004.

1. RDoggy

RDoggy New Member

My opinion is he should be included.Nader is a substantial candidate, one whose issues and priorities are different from John Kerry and George W. Bush.

The best thing about the frantic presidential primary season was plenty of television and radio debates. On the Republican side, the worst thing about the primaries was that there were too many candidates for the time allowed. That meant lots of rhetorical heat and little enlightenment.

So we have some sympathy for the gatekeepers of debates slated for the general election. To present substantive debates requires limiting participation to substantive, viable candidates. Provided that he continues to campaign aggressively, Ralph Nader is one of those candidates and should be included in this fall's presidential debates. Trouble is, the Commission on Presidential Debates, composed of only Democrats and Republicans, puts up high barriers for third-party candidates. Early this year the commission said it set two qualifications of the three presidential debates it is running. One is that a candidate's name must appear on enough state ballots to have a mathematical chance of winning a majority in the Electoral College. The other is a candidate must be polling 15 percent in five specific major national polls.

We aren't sure there is a magic number that puts a candidate over the threshold of seriousness. Nader himself argues for a poll showing of 5 percent the figure in states like Minnesota for third parties to gain ballot access. But we do know that Nader is a substantial candidate, one whose issues and priorities are different from Al Gore and George W. Bush. In his own way, Nader can add to the political dialogue as effectively as Ross Perot did in the 1992 Reform Party run against fiscal irresponsibility in Establishment Washington.

2. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

he cant win, so i dont see why it matters.

3. Alistair

Alistair Spoos

If he is included, the Constitutional Party should also be included as it is on more ballots than he is.

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

if he really stirs things up, he will definitely take votes away from the democrats..

5. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

he's ran many times he's never had 1/1,000,000 of a chance at winning. Unless the other two canadates died in some freak accadent on election day, even then you'd see new canadates and he'd still lose ;) :rolleyes: he should be removed form the ticket especally since he failed his obligations! he will not be on all ballots in all states :rolleyes: .... I have a funny fealing he'll just lay down and tell his supporters to vote for kerry at the last minute....

he shouldn't be able to debate or even be on the ballot...

6. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

Why? Just because someone doesn't come from one of the two major political parties doesn't mean that they don't have anything useful to say nor that they should be excluded from the democratic process.

I would rather see Badnarik in the debates than Nader, though.

7. Sturmbahn

Sturmbahn New Member

I'd like to see more third party candidates in the public's eye. Wasn't there a recent poll that showed over 80% of Americans are dissatisfied with the current choice of candidates? Here's their chance to break into the system and create a legitimate third party in this time of political weakness.

8. Dom

Dom New Member

Although John Kerry is getting my vote this November, I think Nader should be included on the ballots and should be able to participate in debates. Personally I think there should be four canadates on the ballots. American's shouldn't have to choose either left or right.

We're one step away from how Iraq was; Saddam or not Saddam.

9. Rasta Monsta

Rasta Monsta Just an Average Joe...

Narcissistic Freak

A vote for Nader is a vote for W. The guy is an egomaniacal idiot who should take a long ride on a twisty mountain road in a Corvair Turbo.

:mad:

rasta

10. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

he should be included... itd be nice to see some of his points on the questions

11. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

move to cuba

12. Dom

Dom New Member

LOL, good point. It's funny how many 'democratic' people (Democrats and Republicans alike) think their views are that of democracy when in fact they're closer to communism and dictatorship.

13. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

Nader is the ultimate Abilene paradox.

14. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

he should still be treated like everyone else and allowed to run for office

15. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

yea thats fair kerry and nader bashing bush,
    and nader advertiseing kerry :rolleyes:

yea that would be legit -not

he's just going to fold at the last minute he has zero change of winning he's ran many times no were near winning.... he should buck up, and get out the race...

see the thing is with nader out of the equation bush will have a clean win....
    a vote for nader helps kerry.... of couse you know that...

16. Captn

Captn New Member

Go Bush !

17. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

in the 2000 elections, Gore would have won if it weren't for two things:

1. Florida not being able to count
    2. Ralph Nader.

Back in 1912, the republican party had literally split in two. Theodore Roosevelt, and Howard Taft split the Repulican party in half allowing Woodrow Willson to win the presidential election. Blah.....i could go on forever..... U.S. History is my favorite :).

18. bluewin

bluewin New Member

Nader - who ??

this guy used to be good when he did what he was qualified to do -
    venturing into politics has been illfated from the very beginning. He was the one who did make the " Florida Miracle " for ol G.W. possible after all.

This is in no way linked to left or right - the query is G.W. BUSH support - or opening the way for a change to the better.

19. Rasta Monsta

Rasta Monsta Just an Average Joe...

HAR HAR HAR, I love it when someone is invited to move to Cuba for expressing a political opinion!

Now THAT IS IRONY!

:rofl:

rasta

20. Dom

Dom New Member

Excuse you, Neon, but you are wrong.

Infact there are supporters of Bush that want Nader on the ballot as it would take votes away from Kerry therefore helping their canadate; Bush.