Show your new stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bolletje, Aug 5, 2009.

1. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

I suppose, not everyone will be running a couple of servers 24/7 on their main rig like I do. be why at 'idle' it's using 2.5gb I guess
    wouldn't leave a lot of room for the games if I only had 4

oh, real nice RAM btw :)

2. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Thanks, I just noticed my error in the post with the pic of the new ram...

It were supposed to be doubling up to "Another 8GB" of ram... making it 16GB of ram in total. :rolleyes: (Should of mentioned it)

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm still running 4GB, works fine for now. Windows idles at around 1GB and the remainder seems enough (I haven't tried Watch Dogs).

I do occasionally fill it up (a VM, TV on Windows Media Center, dozens of browser tabs and miscellaneous other stuff will do that), but generally I don't feel the pinch and I don't feel like buying any DDR2, especially since I might make a big upgrade soon.

Congrats on your buys. :)

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

My laptop usually runs somewhere between 1.75GB - 2.75GB between Idle and loaded up full of applications and browsers / tabs, especially when it's school work. Problem is, my laptop is running 4GB of RAM and DDR2 200 pin RAM isn't cheap

5. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

ever had a game that you've been meaning to buy forever, and for some reason just never got around to it ?
    that's me with FSX. well, finally picked up a copy

[​IMG]

ah, see now that's why i asked. that makes more sense :)

@CDsDontBurn keep an eye on the classifieds mate, just last week i saw someone on avforums (i think that's where it was) selling ddr2 lappy ram for much cheapness

MIG-31 likes this.
  6. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Should have taken a photo, but yesterday I put a new motherboard and CPU into my main system. This ASUS Z97-Pro motherboard has a lot of little things I like, but what I was hoping the most on and which also came through is the built in fan control. The previous generation called Fan Xpert 2 did not quite reach all the way but now that even the BIOS itself has pretty advanced software for automatically tuning fans I'm really happy with it. Its less expensive brother Z97-A has the same system but I picked the Pro after I had a look at how the PCIe lanes were distributed. If later adding a SATA Express or M.2 SSD device, the Pro has more usable PCIe slots left.
    [​IMG]
    Their AI Suite software is also much improved, if still not precisely user friendly. Anyway it helped my 4690k to easily find a clock of 4.5 GHz at a reasonable voltage of 1.275. (edit: after some manual tweaking, 1.20 V seems like it could be about enough to remain stable) I'll be happy with that and it's been perfectly stable so far. The automated overclocking routine crashed at 4.7 so dialing back to 4.5, which it also did by itself, seemed like a sensible thing to do. I'm also running with a simple CM Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler with its stock fan, and it performs admirably. I've grown a bit tired of huge coolers since they have a habit of getting in the way of things. As much as I loved my previous Thermalright HR-02 Macho, this half-the-size CPU cooler is good enough.
    Thanks to the motherboards fan control the CPU fan can also drop down to a very comfortable 300 RPM while things remain lukewarm, even though the fans official floor is 600. Means I won't even have to consider putting a quieter fan in its place. I love it when new things makes it easier for you.
    Looking back over the last several generations of CPU performance increases, I suppose that this will be good to go until 2018 or so...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  7. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

[​IMG]

Got my best friend's vaping tube which I've been using (on the right) and another brand new Sigelei Zmax V3 (on the left) since I dropped my other one and wrecked the clearomizer. (Just the clearomizer but I decided to get a brand new one anyway) I'm a happy vaper yet again, been vaping Vanilla Bean. :)

mos2k likes this.
  8. Calliers

Nice motherboard.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  9. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

nice... I've been wanting to get myself a vaping kit but never got round to buying one.. how does the smoke feel?

10. Calliers

The vape is pretty good, depends on which flavour you've got in the chamber (clearomizer), I tend to like fruity flavours, but you can have everything from cigarette tasting flavours, to alcohol tasting ones, to even mint that is cool on the tongue and in the mouth.

Edit: Btw it's water vapour that comes out of your mouth when you exhale. ;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  11. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

12. Calliers

Part of them heheehehehe.

13. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

14. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

So on the left here we've got the IgO-W RDA sat on top of an iTaste V3 Express battery, and on the right we have a Scar RDA from SmokTech sat on top of the Telescopic ZMax (Also from SmokTech)
    [​IMG]

What's special about these particular atomisers is that they're called RDA's ; rebuildable dripping atomisers. As opposed to your regular tank or clearomiser that uses wicks to pull liquid onto a heating coil, you build your own wicks and heating coils, and drip liquid directly into the wicks. The upshots are that they're night and day cheaper to maintain, the flavour's better, and you can build coils to suit your own taste. So if you want a coil that hits harder you can build 2 of them in there or make them lower resistance all this stuff. The materials are Kanthal Wire and bog standard Cotton balls picked up from Boots. Really cheap stuff.

Downsides are; fiddly. very fiddly. and how long the liquid lasts is usually measured in drags rather than days. But i don't mind at all, once the wick's burned and nasty i can just pull it out, burn off the crap the coil accumulates and carry on :)
    [​IMG]

15. Calliers

Sweet Mousey.

16. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

A fairly simple keyboard I feel is worth mentioning is the Mad Catz Cyborg V5. After running with mechanicals for a bit over a year I finally could not stand the clatter anymore, so I've been looking back into the old school rubber dome/membrane offerings. I felt almost okay with a Logitec G105 but got me a Cyborg V5 today and it was almost instantly nicer to kick aside the G105. It does not feel quite as sturdy, or at least definitely not as far as the enlarged space bar goes, but the keys are a bit softer and for whatever the reason I hit them better. Somehow the key layout of the G105 differs a millimeter or or two here and there compared to this membrane or the mechanicals I had before. Kinda silly but it kept bothering me for over a week so it's something. The backlighting on the G105 kept turning back on at full force at every reboot, and the extra row of function buttons on the left were only in the way since they were so close to the regular keys. The rubber feet on the Cyborg are much larger which is nice. I don't "get" what they have done with the corners though, but at least the keyboard is still not too big because of it. Slimmer keyboards are in fashion today, so this model can be forgiven for being around since 2009.

What I should simply state is that if you're looking for a non-mechanical keyboard that is quiet and has a half decent feel to it compared to low profile key caps that hurt your fingers, this not too expensive "gaming" keyboard could do well enough in a multi role. If you mainly type and don't mind a little noise, go mechanical instead. And if you're in the habit of hitting the keyboard with your fist when you loose in games, a G105 will probably hold up longer for you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  17. Calliers

Good to hear that functionally those keyboards are great, I've never liked the design of the Cyborg keyboards myself (the corners are just hideous to me).

I finally got myself a Netflix account. :)

18. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The keyboard looks great to me, apart from that eye sore of a spacebar. WTF were they thinking?

19. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

20. Calliers

Going to get a mouse.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014