Show your new stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bolletje, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I've got 8+ acres... I don't buy firewood. :p

2. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

I didn't say buy firewood. I said buy kindling :p

3. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

EOS 6D ;)

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Drum roll please....

MSI-GTX-970-Gaming-4GB.png

Only 2 more critical pieces to go for the new system: CPU and monitor (3 if you count OS). Sure is taking a long time though.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    Erroneus, Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I hope MSI releases a mini ITX 970 soon. Else I am going to get the Gigabyte one. And I like MSI.
    Enjoy your new card.

6. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Nice card! How do built quality feels like and when you have it up and spinning, I would love to hear your take on how silent the fans are.

7. Trusteft

While obviously I don't have the same card, my experience with MSI is top quality. Everything from the card to the box lol. Great performance too (cooling/noise)

8. Tipstaff

Great card so far. Very quiet too which is important to me. Plus, no dreaded coil whine issue either (knocks on wood). The only thing I wish is that it had a backplate as it is a bit flexible, plus 1/2 the RAM is on the back of the card, so a bit of attention there would have been nice. ATM I have it paired up with one of my GTX 660Ti cards, which will be pulling PhysX duty, and I'll sell off the other card. Or, I'll sell off both cards, and drop my old GTX 470 in there for PhysX instead.

I looked at 4 cards: this one I got, the Asus Stryxs, the Zotac Amped, and the Gigabyte G1. I almost picked up the Gigabyte G1 card, but I have this thing about Gigabyte: there out of country tech support/RMA sucks balls. The amount of times I've had to pay through the nose to get cards back because they keep insisting on using UPS, and don't write down that the product is an RMA... bah.. no thanks. Plus the card is huge (almost 12" long). Not an issue for me, but resale wise, I could get stuck with it. As for the Asus card, from what I heard some of the components that should get cooled on the board don't due to the design of the cooler, so that was out, plus I wasn't sold on the single 8pin PCIe power connector idea. Zotac was just.. not available. If it had been I probably would have gotten it over the MSI.

Speaking of PhysX, I can't get a definitive answer on this. I know that you don't NEED to use the SLI bridge for it to work, but does anyone know if there is a benefit in using the bridge? I'm thinking more along the lines of performance, or data transfer. If it's faster using the bridge I may as well use it.

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

No, the SLI bridge isn't needed or even wanted.. it'll do nothing.... PhysX wise.

Having ran PhysX with both 2 different NVidia cards, it was ust a matter of select the card you wanted for PhysX duties and then that was it.

While running PhysX on an NVidia gpu along with an AMD primary gpu, basically the same thing.

Personally while it's a load of bullshit that NVidia continues to do this, the GPU Based PhysX is actually argueably slower than if you just let a multi-core cpu do the work for you, but since NVidia would be basically showing that they basically would suck, they keep making the PhysX cpu mode heavily restricted and reduced to a single thread.

Enforcing high quality PhysX using cpu on the socket 2011 does fairly well, but the patch I managed to come across that enabled multi core cpu support blue the dedicated PhysX out of the water. Sadly it was a bit buggy in that it was an unofficial mod so to be expected.

10. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

11. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

MSI have just announced a slightly different model of the 970 4G. The new one has a gold trim rather than a red and has a backplate included. That card would have complemented my system nicely but that's how things go - you pays your money and then they release something better a few weeks later :eek:

I'd be interested to know if I can get hold of one of the backplates though..

12. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Oh yeah. The lens is Canon EF f1.8 50mm II

13. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Last Buy of the year as my old monitor is showing signs of age..

[​IMG]

Features:

- Flicker-less technology – stable power supply eliminates screen flicker particularly beneficial for heavy users by helping to reduce eye strain.
    - Low dimming technology – adjust to as low as 15 percent brightness in low light environments to make it easy on the eyes. Standard monitor settings start at 30 percent brightness level.
    - ComfyView technology – the non-glare panel reduces reflection from light source.
    Specification:
    - G-Sync Technology
    - 3D Vision Technology
    - Flicker-less Technology
    - Height Adjust stand with tilt, swivel and pivot
    - Display Screen Size: 27"
    - Aspect ratio: 16:9
    - Panel Type: TN
    - Brightness: 300cd/m2
    - Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 (Typ)
    - Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 10,000,000
    - Resolution: 1920x1080 144Hz
    - Response Time: 1ms (GTG)
    - Colurs: 16.7M
    - Bits: 8 bits
    - Viewing Angle (H / V ): 170 ° / 160 °
    - Connectivity: 1x DisplayPort 1.2 (144Hz)
    - USB Hub 3.0: Yes (1up, 4down)
    - VESA: 100x100mm
    - Speakers: No
    - Warranty: 2yr

Tipstaff likes this.
  14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Considering the displayport 1.2a spec that is REQUIRES basically the best of both gsync and amd's alternative, it's fairly nonsensical to dwell on gsync like NVidia has been. (irritating almost).

Either way, I may have a sale for the 4k display I have right now which is only 1.2 compliant. I'm looking forward to Samsung 4K display port 1.2a models along with the 5k displays they are due to release featuring a 5120x2880 display (which is currently being stuffed into the apple computers)

15. Trusteft

[​IMG]

It feels very solid. I didn't expect it to have this feeling and weight to it. BTW the seller was a real cheapskate. It was sent to me with just the keyboard's box and a sticker on it with the addresses. No separate packaging. That's just cheap! Luckily apart from very slight and light damage to the corners, the box/keyboard survived the trip.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  16. Tipstaff

Looking at the specs for the MSI Gaming Gold, which comes with a backplate, it should fit the back of the Gaming 4G. So here's hoping MSI sells it separately.

17. Trusteft

18. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Sweeeet. :)

Trusteft likes this.
  19. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

lovely

20. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

2014 Gretsch 5420T Ice Blue Metallic Flake.jpg
    Here's one of my more recent purchases.

Tyrsonswood, Tipstaff and Trusteft like this.