Show your new stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bolletje, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

It'll happen once things start saying "Made in Canada" instead of "Made in the U.S.A" or "Made in Mexico". ;)

2. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

Christ I've never needed an actual wrench to take a laptop apart :lol:
    screwdriver thing that lets you pop whatever you like in the end has always done the job for me :)

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

most of the screwdriver kits don't include robertson or torque let alone some of the hex heads.... at least in north america.... most of the kits include philips, flat head... on occasion a variation that isn't quite torque.... you pretty much have to purchase a canadian made product to get robertson.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I really did NOT want to have to get another printer. But, my 88-year old mother has written her favorite memories and, between my brother and myself, there are now two booklets she likes to pass out to total strangers. (Well, if it makes HER happy, I'm tickled to death!) But, it has fallen on me to do the printing of these booklets and she likes 6 each of them every month.
    The printer I've been using, a Brother printer that can do 2-sided printing, has been crapping out on all-too-many printings. Lots of paper and ink going to waste.
    So, I finally had enough of that and have picked up an HP OfficeJet Pro 8710. I had written off HP printers years ago due to how they were insisting on using a single cartridge for the three colors. So much ink was going to waste with those! HP, I guess, finally got wise enough to start going to the separate cartridges for each color.

This is the one I picked up, today....$129.99 USD.

HP-OfficeJet Pro - 8710.JPG

5. Tipstaff

Only for the OfficeJets. Anything else, and it's still 1 black, 1 for 3 colors. They've also gotten wise on the "subscription" plan.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  6. Dyre Straits

Do you advise the subscription plan? I'm on the fence about it for the time being. I can get 3-months free.

7. Tipstaff

Believe me, I'm in the same situation, so I can't really say either way. It really depends on how much, and what you print on it. If it's full color, it's worth it. If only black, nope.

I would suggest giving THIS a read. It's a couple years old, but still valid, and it explains things pretty well.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  8. Dyre Straits

Thanks!

I do a decent amount of printing for my own use. The booklets for my mom, though, do require a substantial amount of ink since they include color photos. And, since a couple of those colors get used a lot, it's important to be able to get individual cartridges when needed.

9. Tipstaff

In this case it's automatic. The printer keeps track of how many pages you print, and re-orders when you get close to your subscription limit. In fact, when you subscribe to a plan you have to have your printer on, and HP sets the printer up with the plan.

BTW, one thing about the article that just caught my eye that I didn't notice before was that the subscription cartridges are larger than the XL cartridges. Knowing this now... I might actually subscribe to it (I think I'm still within the time frame). Just not sure. My Mom is only intending to use it to print color, such as cards, and photos, but not all the time. The majority of printing will be on our Brother mono laser printer.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  10. niceguyrichy

well I finally bought myself a Blackberry Passport.
    had an urge for one since they first appeared, and although I've only had it a day, so far I'm not at all disappointed :)
    it's really a cool wee device

[​IMG]

not for those who like their phone to be lithe & light tbh, but I'm loving it so far.

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  11. Dyre Straits

It seems there may be a problem with how my HP OfficeJet is "Connected". I do have it setup on WiFi here. And, I set up the "Connected" option and got a special email address just for the printer. Got that confirmed. However, trying to send a print job to that email address has resulted in a couple of days of getting "Delivery incomplete...." messages. Any clue as to how I might need to proceed with this?

12. Tipstaff

Sorry, no. I've never tried that function. I strictly print directly to the printer over WiFi. Does it require port forwarding? Have you tried turning it completely off (holding down the power button), then back on?

13. niceguyrichy

another purchase arrived today; a Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin.
    bought this on the bay last week, sort of by accident. I placed the bid quite deliberately, but I was only trying to rouse all the watchers from their slumber so I could get a gauge of how much it would end up selling for.
    didnt think for a second I'd actually win the thing..
    not that I'm complaining, it sounds AMAZING :D

[​IMG]

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  14. Tipstaff

You should see it without the fabric covering. A thing of beauty underneath it. :)

niceguyrichy likes this.
  15. niceguyrichy

if I didn't live in a house that is 3 floors of lathe & plaster dust central+ , I'd tear the covering off.
    but I do, so I won't... for now

16. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Just had too, Loved this back in the day so hope it lives up to the expectations.

71oLeL34EZL._SL1500_.jpg

Calliers and Tipstaff like this.
  17. Tipstaff

Got this a couple weeks back, and realized I hadn't uploaded these pics.

Daymak EM1 SE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tops out at 32km/h (or 20mph) which is fine for city driving. I got it with the so called "saddle bags" as it's good for resale value, but I've removed them as they're just plastic. Plus I removed the insanely loud speaker for the Blu Tooth that speaks in a Chinese accent every time you turn it on, or pair a device (2nd pic, that round thing between the seat and the saddle bag).

Only thing I'm looking at is changing are the mirrors, putting proper seals in certain areas (the gas tank is hollow, and is where the main switch and power port is, but the "hatch" has no waterproof seal around it), and maybe do some rewiring as the original wire job is ok, but I'm not happy with the connectors they've used (would have preferred more waterproof connectors).

See if I can get better pics....

Edit: changed pics host to Imgur (FU Photobucket!)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  18. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Looks good Tipstaff.

19. Tipstaff

Thanks.

Honestly, I would rather have gotten an Emmo Proton GTS, or the Daymak Rogue, but neither are out yet, up here anyways. I may sell this one at the end of the year, and buy one of those next year. I'm still happy I got this thing though. I just wish the weather had been better the last couple weeks as I've only been able to take it out 2 or 3 days since I got it.

Actually, I got heckled at first as the photos don't do it justice (Daymaks' ones make it look metallic, mine look grainy for some reason as I used my 5th Gen iPod Touch). Friends kept telling me to get the all black matte one, and I almost did, but as soon as you see this in person the matte blue stands out against the anodized orange metal parts.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Calliers likes this.
  20. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Looks good Tipstaff, I like the colour scheme of it..

I'm not going to be picky, For me the wheels look a little out of proportion for the bike.. it could just be the photo making it look that way..

Other wise very nice.. :)