Show your new stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bolletje, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

You truly are a man of good sound eh?

But alas, you are not a true audiophile, a lot of audiophiles scoff at the way BOSE does things, their unconventional way of -making- things that normally shouldn't work, work, instead of just sticking to the natural laws of sound. I didn't understand why most audiophiles hated BOSE at first till I read a rather verbose article.

Not that I don't like BOSE myself, as long as it sounds good, I'm there. :)

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So, unlike him, you do not listen to music,
    like a bose.

Calliers likes this.
  4. Calliers

Oh no I do listen to music And yes I know you were poking some fun at me. :p

Trusteft likes this.
  5. Tipstaff

What would you have recommended?

I'm not a "purist" by any means, but there's a lot of factors I take into account when buying headphones. Even with the odd Active EQ the Bose QC35ii won out. I've tried them before, and I'm a fan of the sound and soundstage they produce. The Bose 700. Crap. Sony's WH-1000XM3 are really nice, but their hinge design is terrible (I personally know 3 people who've had to send in their headphones to repair that issue). A lot of other headphones are too bright, where they are more for highs. I'm more of a base to mid person.. rich sound.. warm.

Calliers likes this.
  6. Calliers

Like I said, wasn't knockin' your choice, heck I would have chosen those exact same headphones myself, but I just thought I'd mention that people who consider themselves purists of sound usually avoid Bose like the plague lol.

7. Trusteft

Depends on the money you are willing to spend.
    If I were rich I would get a AKG K1000.
    The Beyerdynamic MMX300 are awesome in audio quality and I like them, but they are quite expensive.
    The Sony MDR-7506 Professional is another pair I like, though not as good as the two others I mentioned, their much lower price is a huge plus.

8. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It's all stratospheric to me...

If it has to be wireless, I have no clue, but if it can be wired, the AKG K240 is a good sensible option. I have the M220 Massdrop version and I really love the sound. Granted I haven't previously owned any serious cans (nothing better than some entry level Sennheisers), but I've had earbuds that produce an accurate, clear, detailed sound, and I find that these do that and more. For instance, one of the most striking things to me is how echos actually sound like echos, and not just a slightly delayed, quieter reproduction of an earlier sound.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that those BOSEs are quite well-sounding themselves (probably in a different league compared to the pair I've mentioned, considering the price).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  9. Calliers

I basically use in ear headphones myself, the AKGs that come with the Samsung S10 handset. And they serve me well, to me these are the best ear phones I've ever used, bar none.

My best friend also has a pair of AKG cans, though his are a much much more expensive model.

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Yeah.... I use actual speakers.

11. Calliers

Not everyone lives by themselves, I do have a 2.1 Logitech Z533 system that I use with my PC and a Google Speaker for when most people are not in the house and I can blast tunes, but most times I have to use my Corsair headphones and my in ear set when I leave the house and when I am away from my PC.

12. Tipstaff

I've gone wireless for out and about use now. Wired at home though. My Koss Porta Pro wireless are still going strong, but I'm starting to want noise cancellation. Any wireless in ear.. no go. Ear throb after a while, and they always slip out. Any set that are round cups are a no go too as I have big ears. I need longer cups. I also hate the feel of ones that aren't "cups", or look like pillows. That means any set where the earpieces sit on top of my ear, again, no go. I find that they bleed sound. I also find they hinder sound.. muffle it a bit regardless if there are venting holes.

I looked at the AKG N700NC. They were on sale for around $330 CAN on various sites, but I'll be damned if I can find a set anywhere. If I'm right I think AKG has discontinued them. I was going to get the Bose SoundLink II, but only if I could live without noise cancellation (if you rate the QC35ii set as having an NC of 9 outta 10, based on active NC, the SLII's have a rating of 4.5 or 5 outta 10 for passive NC due to their enclosed design). Beats Studio 3's, while nice, are too bass heavy for my tastes, and overpriced for what they are (they also have a high rate of returns/repair). However, they are on sale most places for $230.. $170CAN off retail. Sennheiser's are generally to.. well.. they are designed for highs, which I can't stand. Having said that, the 2019 version of Momentum Wireless are really damn nice, but holy f**k.. they cost way too much (upwards of $530 CAN BEFORE tax).

I might still pick up a set of Bose SoundLink II as a backup. They're on sale for $210 right now.

13. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

To keep the tradition going.

81+wpXJ1s4L._SX522_.jpg

Calliers likes this.
  14. Calliers

Just got this for me and my friend on Steam:

[​IMG]

Edit: Just got this now too on Steam as well:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  15. Calliers

Couldn't wait till Xmas Eve to play my new beat em ups properly so ordered this cheaper controller with the money I had left, hey at least it's got force feedback, the ZD T Gaming wired Gamepad Controller Joystick For PC(Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10) / PlayStation 3 / Android / Steam:

[​IMG]

16. Trusteft

You prefer to play beat 'em ups / fighting games with a joypad over an arcade style joystick?

17. Calliers

Yup, I'm old school, but not -that- old school. I'm only 33.

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

This is on it's way....

SunnKeys.jpg

(Seller's photo)

I already have the Sunn Concert Lead and Concert Bass amps as parts of my bass rig. The Concert Keyboard is a Concert Lead with three inputs and no distortion circuit... Concert Bass is a Concert Lead with no distortion or reverb... Saved on development time by just using one basic design, Concert Bass, and then adding to it. There is actually a Concert Slave, the series' most basic design, which is just the amp with no preamp controls at all. Used for driving another stack of speakers from the preamp of one of the other amps in the series. (Someday I may own one of those too... Just because)

So, even though this one says "keyboard" on the front it's going to be used as a 3 input guitar amp in my case.

The concept of playing through multiple different amps at once, recording each of them, and then mixing them down to get one tone is a studio trick that has been used forever. Much of popular "guitar" music from most genres has been recorded this way. With three different preamps going into this amp I can get that "blended tone" live.... and at a couple of hundred watts of power.

This series of amps are so... freaking... loud... It's a good loud though, their tone is amazing, not just loud for loud's sake.

Calliers likes this.
  19. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Since I subscribed to the XBOX Gamepass, I've needed more game storage. Picked this up this afternoon...

My WD Passport-4tb.jpg

IvanV and Calliers like this.
  20. Calliers

Western Digital and Samsung are my go to brands when it comes to hard drives and SSDs, hands down.

Dyre Straits likes this.