Show your new stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bolletje, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Patriot Viper RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3600MHz kit w/Black heatshield:

[​IMG]

Tipstaff, Trusteft and MIG-31 like this.
  2. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

As i had previously said looking after my old man...

After Trying out A Hive View Camera has worked out perfectly, I am not only getting a much more improved image when i need to check on him...And also getting a much more stable connection (Possibly due to the new router i bought also)

So two more are now on order...

71DvBvTc1kL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And now as Autumn is setting in and the winter nights are going to draw in early over the next couple of months....

With My Dad who not only has Cataracts in both his eyes (He Refused A replacement opp 3 or 4 years ago) were climbing up the stair case with out turning on the stairs lights.. Trying to get up the stairs without turning on the stairs lights...

This has been the same for the last 3 days or so..... .

So the Best option @ his expense is to go for a set of Mr Beams battery operated PIR Lights for the stair case...

51d+hhus3DL._AC_SX522_.jpg

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I bought a few Chinese bits of electronics over the last couple of months. :D

Xiaomi Mi 9T

[​IMG]

I've been eyeing this phone for around a year, but my old Xiaomi Mi 5s kept going and even now it's serving my mom quite happily. With that in mind, I was actually starting to re-consider if this phone was still worth getting, but I found that, while nowadays the characteristics are more or less par for the course for a mid-range phone (300€), I concluded that there isn't anything new in the price range that I like as much.

Here are the major points:
    • Qualcomm SD730, 6GB RAM, 128GB internal memory (important because there is no micro SD card)
    • rear cameras:
      • wide main camera with "48MP" Sony IMX586 sensor, still present on some new higher end devices, such as the $750 OnePlus 8T
      • 50mm "telephoto" - the device defaults to this one for portraits as it has a more natural looking perspective, making this a good addition
      • an ultrawide, for those outdoor shots when you just can't get far enough to frame the picture properly with the other cameras - another good addition
    • selfie cam - a decent pop-up snapper - meaning no notch or cutout on the screen :)
    • generally, the Camera app does what you'd expect, along with a manual (Pro) mode, a good night mode, competent HDR, AI that's best left off (it's good at recognizing the scenes, but the presets produce exaggerated results, such as oversaturated colours for food), some fun modes such as Clone (which works really well) and very good slo-mo video; there are also very good ports of GCam.
    • screen:
      • 1080p ultrawide AMOLED, 60Hz
      • the colour rendition is very accurate and outdoor readability is decent, even though it's not the brightest of screens; I'm not bothered by the "low" refresh rate;
      • once again, no notch, no cutout, all screen. :)
      • Always on Display (AOD) is beautiful, even though it does consume a bit of battery (around 0,5% per hour on top of the usual background battery "drain"); I hope they enable a variant where it's just used for notifications (display the icons for new notifications when there are some and forego the clock and animations to conserve battery)
    • Software is Android 10, MIUI 12, which is very nice looking and highly functional
    • The general operation and multitasking are generally speaking quite snappy and satisfying
    • gesture controls are fairly intuitive and nice to use (although I sometimes inadvertently activate the "back" action)
    • GPS is accurate and acquires signal quickly; the compass can be wonky at times
    • NFC
    • 3.5mm jack
    • in-screen fingerprint reader - not as fast as the classical ones, but fast enough and pretty accurate (also, style points)
    • I wanted to get the black (carbon pattern) variant, but couldn't find it so I got the blue one; the blue around the edges is beautiful and wish the back was the same, instead of the "holographic" pattern it has there
    • 4000mAh battery lasts me 36-48h between the charges
    • for a modern phone, it's not too wide (74mm), although of course it is long
    • to me, it has a very satisfying look and feel

Xiaomi AirDots Pro 2 (a.k.a. Mi True Wireless Earphones 2)

[​IMG]

These are Xiaomi's latest and greatest Bluetooth earbuds. They support a couple of hi-def, low latency codecs and feature separate microphones for voice and noise cancellation. I have split impressions about them. The positives:
    • they work well with both an Android phone and a Windows 10 PC.
    • I was told that my sound quality vastly improved when I switched to them for Teams meetings
    • I haven't noticed lag both during calls and when watching videos
    • the range is quite good, I was able to walk away from the laptop and into the next office during a call and I experienced no issues
    • they are capable of producing sound of good quality
    • they stay in place
    • battery life of about 4h has so far been quite enough for me, especially since the case will top them up a couple of times if needed, and quickly
    • they have support for Google Assistant and Siri (double tap on the left earphone summons the assistant or something like that), although I haven't tested this
    The negatives:
    • the sound "leaks" quite a bit, so they aren't great for music on the go. They can be cranked up a bit, but then the bits of the spectrum that don't suffer so much from leakage become too loud and those that do are still not quite there. Their last gen was in ear and that alone might make them better suited for that purpose, despite the drivers in this model being upgraded compared to the previous gen. Although, I did give them to a colleague for a 24h test run and he found them more than adequate even for music and is considering buying a pair himself (they are a bit overpriced in my country, so he's looking for a discount, though), so it may be down to them fitting some ears better than others.
    • they are not super comfy for prolonged use; I wouldn't call them uncomfortable either, but do I feel them after 60-90 minutes.
    • by default, the only commands their touch interface supports is play/pause and summon Google assistant, so no next/previous song, although this should be configurable via some app that I haven't bothered to install.

Tipstaff and Calliers like this.
  4. Calliers

@IvanV - why not spring for a 5G phone?

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Europe is behind in rolling 5G out. Well... kind of. Most 5G support is in pilot tests so far, meaning small areas that support 5G atm.

Besides, I can't think of any 5G phones for 300 Euro (around $460 CAN).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020 at 11:47 PM
    IvanV likes this.
  6. Calliers

Ok. Makes sense then. Thanks.

7. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Echo Show 8..

81MZNHWX5oL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Calliers, Tipstaff and Trusteft like this.
  8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Nice. I purchased a black one for myself on Prime Day with the Smart Plug for $10 more. Pairs nicely with my dual Blink XT2 setup.