Show your new stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bolletje, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Acer makes some good laptops.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

"Some" being the operative word. For instance, 2 counts as "some". :p

Trusteft, Calliers and Dyre Straits like this.
  3. Calliers

Well I've owned 2 Acer laptops in my time so far and they were both pretty solid machines.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

The E5/E15 575s with the 6000/7000/8000 series intel i3/i5s are the most recent "good" acer laptops that i was picking up from amazon.com and getting shipped up here costing me about $200-250 less. Swap hd for a samsung ssd and usually drop another 4gb of ram into it and the thing sings, specially with an m.2 slot that was initially limited to sata only, but newer versions had nvme support.

Calliers and Dyre Straits like this.
  5. Tipstaff

The last Acer laptop I liked was the ultra light/slim ones they came out with that went head to head with the Macbook. Rumor was that they used the same tool and die that Apple was using to make their laptop chassis from. Can't recall the model number, just that they were near $1000-$1500 at the time.

Calliers likes this.
  6. Judas

i've yet to personally meet anyone that actually like any of the ultra light or slim laptops... almost everyone here hates them, they are too light, too flimsy, too easy to drop and nothing to hold onto.

Calliers likes this.
  7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Well they are ultra light laptops, not building materials for a skyscraper.
    If anyone buys an ultra light and thin laptop and is surprised in a negative way in how much light and thin they are, they are idiots.
    If you want something else, get something else.

Calliers likes this.
  8. Judas

That's the problem... it's next to impossible to get literally anything else as pretty much the only thing available these days are so damn light and flimsy, short of spending copious amount of dollars on something they don't actually want.

There was a period were laptops hit their prime design, both easily serviceable within reason, reliably built well, and swapping a hardrive, memory didn't require you to destroy your laptop after it's been used for a year or more by having to pry the entire shell apart just to do the most basic of tasks. Even new a lot of the plastic tabs used to "secure" the shell together snap with next to no effort or force exerted. The laptop don't stay put very easily, slide and fall, often getting damaged too easily. There is always a point where the design and function have to meet, and they've now ventured all the way hell off into "design" and the cosmetics end of it dumping it's function, practical purposes.

9. Trusteft

I don't know. Last time I bought a laptop was about 6 years ago. No plan on buying another laptop again in my life.

10. Tipstaff

Oh, I'm talking about the old ultrabook ones, not the ultralight. Something keeps leaning me towards the Acer Aspire S3 & S7 Ultrabooks made between 2011 and 2013. Damn sexy units, but when they did the refresh in 2015 Acer showed their true spots again.. they went cheap (aluminum/plastic mix). Lost me as a seller.

Calliers likes this.
  11. Trusteft

I am sure there are other similar ones. There must be.

12. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I got myself a wee little DAC. It was cheap and well reviewed and I guess that it ought to be a bit better than the one integrated on my mobo, so I'm curious to see if it's going to make a difference I can hear.

IMG_20210716_103105s.jpg

BTW, the size of the courier packaging vs the useful payload:

IMG_20210716_095544s.jpg

Calliers, Tipstaff and Trusteft like this.
  13. Tipstaff

Picked these up to replace the 2 Fractal fans in the case (1 x 120m,m and 1 x 140mm), and to supplement the front with another 140mm:

1 x Noctura NF-P12s redux and 2 x NF-P14s redux:

noctua_nf_p14s_3_8.jpg

Also picked up the NA-SAVP1 chromax anti-vibration pads, a pack of NA-SYC1 4pin PWM splitters, and a pack of NA-SEC1 extension cables from Noctura as well.

Edit: just realized I never said how many I bought.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Calliers and IvanV like this.
  14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Part of reacquiring that last guitar was getting this one back as well... This is an acoustic I built back around 1986-87. These are old photos I had from right before I sold it. (It looks much better in person)

Anyways it just showed up about an hour ago...

Top006.JPG
    Back005.JPG HeadStock.JPG

15. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Photos are noisy, but the guitar looks beautiful!

I hooked this up a few hours ago and it kicks butt! Seriously. Two things I noticed right off the bat: a) the signal was noticeably louder than through the motherboard; b) the highs were much more pronounced. Previously, I was starting to believe that I'd made a mistake with the speakers I got a few years ago as I was never too happy with how they sounded, but as I listened to more different stuff through this little gadget, I got happier and happier. Things are really crisp and detailed. Also, as I fired off the first song through the new setup, I got a "Hey, that's a good track!" from the missus, so I think that it's an indirect endorsement from her as well.

On a completely non-musical note, I also played a certain instructive video she watched recently. The sound in it is horrible, with very low volume and recorded on a laptop microphone. Previously, she had to crank everything to more or less 100% (YT, Windows, the speakers themselves) to be able to follow it. On this setup it is much easier to follow without cranking it all the way up, not just because the output of the DAC is slightly louder than that of the integrated soundcard, but also because, apart from the bad mic, apparently the card also made things worse (probably adding noise as it was being cranked up).

So, for 25€, this is such a huge difference that I'm actually really surprised (in the most positive way).

BTW, YMMV, it's possible that the DAC on my integrated card is of particularly bad quality. Back in the day, it was a full ATX board with a premium chipset that cost 90€, some corners had to be cut. But this is really good!

Trusteft, Tyrsonswood and Calliers like this.
  16. Calliers

I just got into cardistry and I am going to buy a 4 set box set of Theory 11 cards but they will be NRFB so this is the set that I will be using, I'm doing it for fun, it is enjoyable to just do a bunch of flourishes in a row, I find it rather satisfying even though I'm not that good yet. This brick cost just 6 dollars on Amazon.ca.

[​IMG]

For those of you that don't know what cardistry is, have a look at this showcase:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Tipstaff and IvanV like this.
  17. Calliers

Just bought my first limited edition set, I quite like the look of these, and no I will not be using them. They will be NRFB. :) Virtuoso Playing Cards P1. Limited Edition:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Tipstaff

For some reason I like to pick up unique playing cards every once and a while. Black sets such as ones from Joyoldef, to Bicycle's Black Ghost (gorgeous set), and really nice ones like Bicycle's Tragic Royalty.

Calliers likes this.
  19. Calliers

Do you get your cards off of https://shop.52kards.com? They have some really really nice limited edition sets there, I'm getting 5 more decks at the end of this month, but I will only be opening one, the Monarch Greens. 3 of them will be limited edition. Will post which ones I got once I have actually ordered them.

I didn't realize that cards are very collectible, and I just love collecting. :)

Tipstaff likes this.
  20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I collect dust...

Calliers likes this.