Show your new stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bolletje, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I think I mentioned it before, few months ago when my phone stopped working properly (Sony Xperia XZ1) I sent it for repairs to the official Sony support center here. It was out of warranty, but they still did a fine job*. I paid eh, I don't remember how much, I think I paid about 55 euros for the repair and I also asked them to replace the battery because why not. They called me back after a couple of days to tell me there is a dead pixel and if I want the screen replaced too as they can't guarantee if the part will be available if in the future I decide to do so. I said no as they asked for 75 euros IIRC and I had no spare money for that, plus the screen had no dead pixel that I remember. Smart move to not go for that.

*When the phone was returned there was indeed a huge bright as frak dead pixel which is like a mini flashlight when there is anything bright showing in that part of the screen. I am pretty sure there was no such issue before, but since I gave the phone to a carrier to take it to them (due to the pandemic and all), I couldn't in good faith know for certain it was something done by the service, or the courier.
    For the same reason I couldn't blame the courier.
    So I got frelled liked that.

My point is...I am sick of phones.

Calliers likes this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

If your current phone is doing everything you want it to, no need to upgrade. Only reason I did is because this one is 5G, I can tell you I'm going to own it for a long long time.

One great thing about it though is it takes the best pictures I've ever seen a phone take.

Trusteft likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

If it's a phone shouldn't it's best feature be making phone calls?

These things do make phone calls, don't they?

Calliers likes this.
  4. Calliers

LOL! That's kind of what I meant, although I have recently started to play games on my phone, and it helps that it's no slouch.

Other than that yes, some phone calls are made and some messages are sent. I assure you. ;)

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I think we're way past that, honestly. Making phone calls is merely "one of the features". That feature certainly needs to be there and it needs to work well enough, but the device does much more than that.

I dug out an old, Android 2.3 phone a few months ago. It makes calls and sends SMS messages, but that's about it. Can't install the IM apps that I use to communicate with friends, contacts from abroad, where I have group chats with office mates, or to make video calls to relatives from out of town... It's of limited use even as a communication device.

Grandparents have a much newer tablet, but it's low on RAM. If they haven't used Viber recently, they won't get any notification when we call them (they live in Croatia, so we don't get to see much of each other, outside of those video calls). Again, the device works, but barely.

Also, it's not just for communication. There's a number of random things for which people use their phones. Getting an information from the Internet without having to go to a computer, watching a show while stuck on public transport, seeing a chess position and using an app to scan it and then, utilizing the world's strongest chess engine locally, on the phone itself, getting an accurate assessment of who's better and what are the right plans. :D

Then there's using the phone as a mobile hotspot, for navigation, to snap surprisingly decent photos... Better half has a very small cosmetics side biz (she's having fun and getting some cosmetics for herself while financially breaking even). She uses her (or my) phone to snap photos of products which she puts on social media. A phone is more convenient than a dedicated camera because you get a bigger, better screen to immediately check the photos (plus it's the same kind of screen that most people will be using to view them) and you can upload them where you want and create posts straight from the device. Of course, the snapper on the phone needs to be a decent one. BTW, one glossy white back side of an old wall calendar and some good lighting (daylight on the balcony) and you've got results that look very much like professional stock photos. :D

So, a smartphone needs to make calls, but for me calls amount to less than 10% of the time I spend using it and I'd hardly name that as its best feature. Of course, it's all individual and, under different circumstances, I'd be using mine differently (for example, if I spent less time outside of my home, I'd use the "smart" features a lot less and it would be more or less just a phone), but as is, it's far for being just for making phone calls and I definitely can understand someone wanting to switch to a newer model even though the old one is still "making calls and working fine". :)

Calliers likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

My phone has wires... It rings if somebody calls. If I need to call somebody I have to push actual buttons to put in the proper number.

That's all it does.

Life is easier that way.

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  7. Calliers

^This.

On top of that, when I postulated that your phone is fine if it does all you require, I meant this, I wouldn't have gone for 5G if I wasn't using most, if not all of the above features, on top of a myriad of others. You forgot listening to music, on my phone I listen to music a lot. Especially when I'm out and about. :)

One of the coolest phones I've personally ever owned was one of the Nokia 5000 music series phones that one of my aunts got me while I was visiting her in Switzerland, and another of the coolest phones that my little bro owned was the Sony Walkman phone, the 850 series I believe, the slider, and all I can say ever since then I've fallen in love with having my entire library at my finger tips on my phone and on top of that being able to stream is a dream.

Edit:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  8. Tyrsonswood

Koa02.jpg Koa01.jpg

Lots of little pieces of wood involved...

9. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

10. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Attempting to make my new rig completely mechanical-less:

20-250-121-V01.jpg

M2 drives are just too expensive in 4TB or greater sizes, so I went with an interim solution. Better than mechanical at least. Once 8TB M2 drives start getting closer to $1K I'll pick one up at that time.

IvanV, Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've now handled 6 of the WD Blue sata SSDs that have corrupted data and been a issue, having replaced them with samsung

Calliers likes this.
  12. Trusteft

How much for this?

13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

$475 Canadian ($375 US).

The Samsung 870 QVO would have been the only Samsung I could get for near same cost (EVOs are $250 more), but I've found that the QVO's have cache issues (once the cache fills up under load the drive speed drops to below mechanical speeds, and takes hours to clear). At least from my experience, and from what I've read, horrible drives. Maybe for low end users, but for gamers and editors, stay away from them. Only plus I've found is that the larger the drive the less of an issue the cache problem is.

Anyways, for the same price as the EVO 4TB ($719) I could grab a Sabrent Rocket Q 4TB M2 ($750). I'm still considering getting one later, but I'm more likely to grab the 8TB instead ($1600.. got some saving up to do for that one though).

Edit: For now, this will do. I still have plenty of mechanical drives on the server.. well over 40TB's in fact, so I'm not worried about losing data as I'll be syncing with the server (I'm thinking of dedicating a 4TB WD Enterprise drive I have sitting around for the new rig).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  14. Trusteft

Thanks.
    I don't have a Samsung QVO, the closest I have is a Seagate Barracuda Q1 SSD 960GB. I bought it for my PS3 Slim (it has the factory 250GB mechanical drive and it is full for a long time now). I have yet to install it.
    I have read about the cache issues, but for casual use it should be a good drive the QVO. As long as one has not filled the drive etc.
    Samsung drives do tend to be more expensive, but (hopefully) they are also quite well made. Time will tell.
    4TB for 320 Euros is not bad. The 4TB Samsung QVO here is at 335 Euros. A jump I would probably pay to avoid the WD drive. I have terrible history with WD drives though never tried their SSDs.
    Hmm, I just checked and the WD drive you bought is sold (the cheapest I could find) for 393 Euros.
    Interesting.

Calliers likes this.
  15. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I'd ONLY ever get a QVO for someone that strictly needs it for storage/backup for the mundane, reason i opted for the 870 evo

Calliers likes this.
  16. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I picked up the Xiaomi Tab 5 yesterday! :)

[​IMG]

Mine is in gray, which they could have easily called black. The basic specs are:
    • Android 11, MIUI 12.5
    • 11", 2650*1600 IPS screen with support for 10-bit colour, 120Hz operation and HDR
    • Snapdragon 860 SoC, 6GB RAM, 128GB storage (6GB/256GB option available, no expandable storage)
    • dual mics (top and bottom), quad speakers
    • 13MP main camera, 8MP front camera
    • keyboard connector on the left, magnetic pen dock which provides wireless charging on the right (neither included in the box)
    • no SIM card slot (only on the Pro model, which is a Chinese exclusive)
    • no 3.5mm, USB-C to 3.5mm not included in the box, in Europe at least (different markets have different bundles)
    The first impressions are that I like the screen, both in size and performance and that the build quality feels quite nice. The sound is really decent as well (it supports Dolby Atmos FWIW), it's clearly a cut above any other tablet or cell phone that I've owned (although that isn't saying much) and also above entry level Bluetooth speakers.

The 120Hz situation is a bit funny. I tried switching to 60Hz and suddenly the system animations became horrendous (you can count the frames). A contact confirmed the same for his Mi 11, making us think that they are deliberately doing it on these devices to make you happier that you paid a premium for something with a high refresh rate (meanwhile, the animations on my 60Hz-only Mi 9T are perfectly smooth). When using apps, though, the difference is much smaller. Scrolling in Firefox, I'd say that 120Hz does look a tad clearer, but only slightly. To me, a high refresh rate remains a nice to have and no more. AFAIK, on this device, it is not adaptive, so it's either 60Hz all the time, or 120Hz all the time.

Speaking of the screen and Hz, the touch sampling rate is also 120Hz. When dragging a finger up the screen, the image that scrolls (e.g. a web page) does lag ever so slightly, but I might just be nit-picking on this one - it's night and day compared to my old tablet, just not 100% perfection that I was hoping for.

I haven't really tried out the cameras. The reviewers say that the rear one is surprisingly great (I guess compared to the expectations) and I did fire up the app to see what the front one looks like and it's perfectly adequate for video calls. I haven't had one or tried recording anything, but supposedly (again, according to the reviewers) the dual microphones do a great job. The rear camera does protrude a little bit and I wish it didn't, especially since the reasons for the protrusion seem to be aesthetics and marketing - people expect a good camera to have to stick out of their thin device and Xiaomi wanted the area to look more like the cameras on their newer smartphones, as evidenced by the fake "second camera" below the main (and only real) lens at the back. Technically, it's almost certain that hardware that's in the camera could have fit inside the case and it's a cause for a few curse words that they decided to make it like this just so it would appear more like it means serious business. Laid on a flat surface, the device doesn't wobble too much, but it's definitely not flat, so it's not 100% stable either.

Other than that, it's about what you'd expect. If you've used a Xiaomi phone, you are familiar with MIUI. The hardware has plenty of power for anything that I've tried and all operation is smooth and snappy. I intend to add some kind of keyboard and pen to it to make it more of a laptop-like device. It doesn't have any special productivity mode (such as Samsung DeX), but many of the apps do benefit from the increased diagonal and resolution (compared to a smartphone), so I do think that it's a viable option for some light typing and such.

Calliers, Tipstaff and Trusteft like this.
  17. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I may not have a ton of experience with modern SoC's, but as an owner of the Xiaomi X3 Pro (8/256 GB) with the Snapdragon 860, I must say it is rather impressive for the price.

QB

Calliers likes this.