Show your new stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bolletje, Aug 5, 2009.

1. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

So I banged my head against the wall for nearly a week. PC would just shut off. Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after a couple of hours. I bought a new motherboard. Still happened. Returned board and bought a new CPU. Still Happened. Swapped out my GPU for an old one I have lying around. Still happened.

The kicker is, when it first started happening I thought it might be my Corsair AX860i, since it would lock out the PSU and I would need to unplug all the cables and run a self-test to get it back up and running. And it would always pass the test. It is not ancient and should still be fine, plus it's a high-end, top quality unit so if it passes, it shouldn't be the problem... right... Plus it would power up the system and work... dead PSU shouldn't even power on... right...

Anyway, I am very glad Canada Computers is good with returns since I bought a new board, returned it for a new CPU which I then returned the next day. But after eliminating every possible cause, it had to be the AX860i. So I went all out and got the Seasonic Prime TX-850... 12 yr warranty

Seems to be rock solid stable again. What a long week!

QB

Tipstaff and Trusteft like this.
  2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I never buy anything else for my personal machines. Seasonic all the way.

QB71 likes this.
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

PSUs are super fickle things.. the shear number of people it 5700xt/5700 problems with black screens and such that were resolved with a different PSU.... insane really.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

And here I am with the 600W Silverstone Strider that I got from Silverstone and HardwareHeaven at least 11 years ago. A simplified timeline of its service so far:
    • 1 year powering an Athlon II X2 + Radeon 4670
    • 4 years powering a Phenom II X4 + Radeon 6950
    • 4 years powering a Core i7 4790K + Radeon 7950
    • 2 years 10 months and counting powering the Core i7 4790K + Radeon RX 580

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  5. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

If I was to guess what is happening with the AX860i... I believe that the unit thinks that it's overheating and shuts down. It is not overheating.

As for old PSU's.... My ancient Corsair HX520 has been powering systems for close to 15 years running 24/7... That unit was actually manufactured by Seasonic

QB

Trusteft, Calliers and IvanV like this.
  6. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Now that thing is a real trooper.

IvanV likes this.
  7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You are all nuts for using daily PSUs from 15 years ago, that's all I am going to say.
    Anything else, sure, but PSU? Never. Too risky if something goes wrong.

8. Calliers

Admirable too, kinda like even a year on from @IvanV and his PSU, but I still always get a newer PSU for a newer build.

9. IvanV

I get the emotion, it freaks me out a little as well (I wasn't aware until recently that it was that old), but on the other hand a properly built PSU might stop being able to deliver the power it once could as it gets really old (in which case it would be replaced), but it shouldn't become a fire hazard and a danger to other components, should it?!

10. Trusteft

I wouldn't want to try my luck. I rather spend an extra 100 or whatever Euros every at least a decade, than take any chance.

11. IvanV

I'll probably swap it out on my next upgrade. At this point, my CPU, motherboard and RAM are turning 7 next month and in January, it will be 3 years since I got the GPU second hand, after it spent a year or so mining. At this point, it looks like it will all exit the stage together.

Trusteft likes this.
  12. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

That's valid... but like IvanV said, it's very easy to forget about a quality PSU and lose track of time. My AX860i is still under warranty (they bumped them from 7 to 10 years a while back), and if I can get it RMA'd I will surely replace the very ancient HX520 at my brother's with what I get back from the RMA process. Even though 860W will be extreme overkill for that AMD 3400G system :p

QB

13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i think some of the older psu's are more reliable in some aspects.

I don't see what's wrong with using a psu that's 15 years old or even 20, so long as even with it's inevitable degradation in terms of it's peak potential power output, being considered, a 15 year old 500watt pus will drive a 150-250watt load wonderfully well.

14. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

That's one of the reasons to go bigger than you actually need... I estimate a 650W would be sufficient for my 3700X, 5700X, 4xHDD's, 3xSSD's, 4xFans, X-Fi Titanium, and 980 Pro NVMe. Plus any USB devices of course.... but the 850W allows for degradation and any more power hungry upgrades the future may bring.

QB

IvanV and Trusteft like this.
  15. Trusteft

I like liquorice. A lot. I bought 10 of them.

[​IMG]

Also a new mousepad as I gave up on the huge ones, or even large ones. Too...much. In terms of color, it is much darker in person, almost black, which is unfortunate. I will probably replace it if I find another I like the looks more and the right dimensions.
    Otherwise, this is a really good mousepad. The mouse feels like it's hovering on a babies' farts or something. The best feeling using a mouse on a mousepad, ever.

[​IMG]

Calliers likes this.
  16. Calliers

Can't wait to use the skins for the weapons in game (Halo Infinite). :D Otherwise the guns I'll be displaying. Nerf Halo Bulldog SG Dart Blaster -- Pump-Action, Rotating 10-Dart Drum, Tactical Rails, 10 Official Nerf Elite Darts, Skin Unlock Code:

[​IMG]

Nerf Halo MA40 Motorized Dart Blaster -- Includes Removable 10-Dart Clip, 10 Official Nerf Elite Darts, and Attachable Rail Riser (with Skin code):

[​IMG]

Funko - Figurine Halo Infinite - Mark VII Commando Rifle Funko ver Pop 10cm (with Skin code):

[​IMG]

Edit: I also bought a couple Rockstars and got 2 XP boosts (2 hours each).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    Trusteft likes this.
  17. Trusteft

18. Calliers

Halo 6.5” Spartan Collection – Master Chief Highly Articulated, Poseable with Weapon Accessories - Scaled to Play & Display (HLW0018) (with skin code for Assault Rifle, it makes it blue and white, not just grey like in the box):

[​IMG]

Trusteft likes this.
  19. Trusteft

Oh it looks good!

Calliers likes this.
  20. Trusteft