Show your new stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bolletje, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Man, you're having a lot of issues with this monitor, me thinks you should have just gone with a more expensive brand and be done, but yeah sometimes it's nice to get a deal. I remember once when I was still trying to buy a PS5 I forked over MSRP (about 500 USD) for one when they were out of stock everywhere to some shady website, it took like 2 months to get my money back, which was done by my bank by their anti-fraud branch because they found out the listing was fake, obviously, and too good to be true.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

The brand isn't a problem (Iiyama is a perfectly reputable brand of monitors). Also, the company from which I ordered is essentially the retail branch or partner of the official wholesale distributor for our market, the (mislabeled) unit was picked up straight from their warehouse. It's just how things work around here...

BTW, I got a call from the second guys to confirm that they do have a new unit on the way to them and that the price will be the same as in the original order that they cancelled after the first unit was destroyed in shipping, so, hopefully, I'll have it by the end of the week or early next one.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    Calliers and Tyrsonswood like this.
  3. IvanV

So, big news! :D Yesterday afternoon, the refund appeared in my account and a few minutes ago, this:

upload_2022-6-14_10-44-54.png

I'm working, so no time to unbox right now, but I can't wait for the afternoon! :)

Trusteft, Calliers, Tipstaff and 2 others like this.
  4. Calliers

Congrats!!!!! :cool:

We need pictures of it when you finally get to play with it! :D

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Enjoy!
    For me it's the best size to pixel ratio.
    Not that I would have a problem with 1080p for that size.
    I hope you do with it what I tend to do with new high res monitors. Play 320x200 games.

IvanV and Calliers like this.
  6. IvanV

So, here it is, the Iiyama ProLite XUB2792QSN! (sorry about the mess on the desk :oops:) The basics are 27", 2560x1440 (16:9), IPS, 75Hz and here is a couple of pictures.

IMG_20220614_115739rc.jpg IMG_20220615_000239crs.jpg

The unboxing process was very simple, the monitor comes pre-attached to the arm (with a simple guard in place to prevent it from sliding during shipping) and it just needs to be connected to the base. The base itself is relatively big so this isn't a monitor with the smallest footprint in the world. Underneath the plastic is a reassuring metal board and the process of attaching the monitor is trivial.

Regarding the arm, it offers a nice range of height adjustment, pivots to both sides and rotates smoothly on the base.

The design is simple. It is not bezel-less as it is sometimes described, but those 3-4mm are almost nothing compared to an older design such as the one I have on the right.

The first impression, at least for someone coming from a pair of 21.5" monitors, was the size of the panel (the first photo shows it better, in the second one, the distortion makes the Dell look huge). The image seems quite natural. It is worth noting that this monitor covers the sRGB colour space quite well, but no more than that, the DCI-P3 coverage is relatively low. The next impression is how bright it is. Side by side with the old Dell, the photos probably don't demonstrate it that well, but when you move a window from the new monitor to the old one, it looks like the old one is dimmed - the difference between 250 and 350 cd/m2 really shows. The picture also has a nice contrast (the reviewers have measured over 1200:1, good for an IPS panel). I have it in Standard picture mode, although at night, in a dark room, I did try switching it to Text, which is a lot less bright and was comfortable to work with (these predefined modes don't allow any adjustments of brightness and contrast). To my eye, despite a huge difference in brightness, the colour reproduction remained the same. If you want to keep the colours, but to be able to adjust brightness and contrast freely, you can switch to 6500K (or one of the other 2 temperature presets), or you can switch to user mode and adjust the colour channels individually as well.

The monitor offers three video inputs, DisplayPort, HDMI and USB-C, and all three cables are supplied in the box. If you have one of those laptops which are too fancy to have anything other than a type C connector, this is a good monitor for you as, apart from being able to connect to it directly, without any adapters, it will also provide you with the ability to connect a second monitor (by daisy-chaining it to this one via a DP-out), sound (it has built in speakers and a 3.5mm jack), a pair of USB3 type A ports and even an Ethernet port. Plus it will charge your laptop at up to 65W at the same time!

All in all, I am happy with my purchase. The monitor cost me around 250€, which, I think, is relatively low for this model and I believe that it's because it's being phased out. That made it one of the cheapest 27" 1440p monitors in the market, at least where I live and, for comparison, there's a Philips that goes for 15€ less, but it's actually terrible (an IPS panel that shifts colours when viewed at an angle?!), and an Acer model on which I wasn't able to find much other than the specs (which were okay), where the less than 10€ of price difference was justified by a height adjustable stand alone, and everything else is more expensive.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Trusteft, Calliers and Tyrsonswood like this.
  7. Trusteft

Is it possible to have headphones plugged in the 3.5mm plug of the monitor and yet have the sound come out of its speakers alone via a setting or switch? Or does it lock so that if you have headphones in there is no way to get sound out of the speakers? That's my main issue with my BenQ so that I can't easily swap output, I have to physically remove the headphones.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I just happened to luck out on this one. I was literally looking for something else on Walmart's website when this popped up... in stock... from them directly (i.e. retail price, baby!!). Didn't think twice...

6000205139034.jpg

Calliers, Trusteft and IvanV like this.
  9. IvanV

I don't think that that's possible. The monitor OSD has very little in terms of audio controls, just the volume bar and the mute switch (disables both the onboard speakers and the 3.5mm out). It doesn't have any drivers and on the Windows side of things, it's just a single AMD sound device.

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  10. Calliers

Congratumalations! :D

I had to spend about 200 over MSRP to get mine. Still worth it though (for the time I had it).

11. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Got tired of my WD Black SN770 NVMe drive temps... should be better under load. I decided to switch them out for these ones from be quite!, and holy crap what a difference (wish I had these before with my Samsung 980 Pro BEFORE it died).

be quiet! MC1 Pro (BZ003)
    71iAdMTqHxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(btw, this will work in the PS5, but you have to leave the NVMe shield/plate off).

Speaking of which, I dropped the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe (original no heatsink version.. the replacement for the one that died) into my PS5, and decided to pick this up to cool it along with replacing the pre-applied thermal pad with a Thermal Grizzly Minus (thermal) Pad 8 @ 120x20x0.5mm).

ElecGear PS5 NVMe Heatsink (EL-P5C)
    61jdQYgYnDL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

12. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I finally got something new to share.
    Once I was able to actually get my XBOX Series X last year, I went straight to Micro Center and got the only wireless headphone set I could get my hands on. That was a Razer brand. And, it has worked very well. However, I did not like that the microphone wasn't one that you could swivel up to turn off the mike.

So, this past weekend I saw a Refurbished RIG 800XL in stock at the local Game Stop. I drove over there only to find that the store was closed due to lack of staffing. I tried again on Monday...still closed. So, finally, on the 3rd someone was there and the item was still in the back room.

New, it lists for $129.99 USD. I got it discounted for $84.99 plus tax.

This is also very comfortable. I have to be aware of items that might put too much pressure on my cochlear implants and the processors I wear. So far/so good!

This has the swivel on/off mike. And, it also has separate volume control for chat/gaming. This image is a web image...

RIG 800xl-webimage.jpg

arb65912, Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  13. Calliers

[​IMG]

The red gem stones are rubies.

IvanV, Trusteft and arb65912 like this.
  14. Trusteft

It looks beautiful. Not perfect of course , for that you would need something different. Say...orange stones! :)

IvanV and Calliers like this.
  15. Calliers

Thank you.

Trusteft likes this.
  16. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Congrats on gaining a new fist.

Calliers and arb65912 like this.
  17. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

:D:D:D:D:D

Calliers likes this.
  18. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

My initial thought was: Why is my monitor taking a swing at me!

QB

Calliers and arb65912 like this.
  19. Calliers

Lol, you guys are funny.

arb65912 likes this.
  20. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

Don't you just love the whole comments exchange here? :D

I love when people have a nice sense of humor that is not offensive but funny, I know you do to. :)

I did not reply initially but I was going to say" now you need to find someone to punch with that new ring on the fist" ;)

Enjoy!!!